Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wish list of Rule changes

dskinsler83

Leave the "spirit" of the game alone. It's what sets IDPA apart.

Reloading is fine but up the PF and get rid of the mouse fart loads. I'm tired of watching guys mortar their rounds towards the target then having to push them the rest of the way through the target with a paster. No I'm not refering to you. There is another.

Leave reloads alone. Retention of ammo is good IMO. How many times have you screamed at the hero of the movie you're watching to take that guys ammo or gun? Having extra ammo is never bad.

Get rid of the ammo dumping rule. Not because I disagree with it but because it's impossible to enforce and only causes bad blood on the range.

Allow the use of more non-threats. I'd like to see it go from 1 NT for every 3 threats to up to 3 NT for every threat. I know it's not likely you'd want to engage bad guys with that many good guys around but it's probably more realistic than say "9 bad guys jump you at the local ATM, deal with it". ;)

Knee pads? lol. (this coming from a fat guy with bad knees. ;) )

Clean up the rule book. I'd like to see more black and white and less wording like "such and such is discouraged".

Revisit the reloading while moving bit.

And fault lines.....

faultline.jpg

How are you supposed to shoot this COF with a static fault line? You can get T1 and T2 is doable. But how about T3? I guess you could throw your left leg out as balast and LEEEAAAAAAANNNNNN out of the fault line hoping to get the shots off before you're in violation of the rules but then you may as well be shooting another sport as that strategy is neither practical OR tactical.

Before any of the rules lawyers jump me. It's written in the COF that the walls go from height of construction to the ground and for all intents and purposes are constructed of 6 inch thick, kryptonite infused titanium and are considered hard cover. For those who still don't get it T3 is set in such a way that any illegal shot from under the wall would send the round over the berm and the shooter to DQ to get me a Blizzard.

With an SO who understands what cover is and a shooter that doesn't try to push the envelope on every stinking rule, this COF can be shot without a static fault line. You just shuffle you're feet a few inches every couple of shots.

Leave the fault lines out. I enjoy shooting TWO DIFFERENT sports. ;)

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FDTR should be for things like sticking your gun past cover or thru a port(which people never get hit for)

Cuz it's not against the rules.

Notice I said "should". These are usually the guys who crowd cover like its cool. I have visions of hiding down range and snaching a gun from from a port or grabbing slide and hip tossing someone who likes to stick their gun out past cover exposing to a area theyy haven't cleared yet.

FDTR should be for things like sticking your gun past cover or thru a port(which people never get hit for)

Notice I said "should". These are usually the guys who crowd cover like its cool. I have visions of hiding down range and snaching a gun from from a port or grabbing slide and hip tossing someone who likes to stick their gun out past cover exposing to a area theyy haven't cleared yet.

For heaven's sake don't use "OMG that'll get you shot in a real gunfight" as rationale for assessing penalties. Please remember that IDPA is a game with a rulebook. If someone wants to stick their hands through a port or past a wall more power to them, as long as 50% of their upper body and 100% of their lower body is behind cover- the rulebook's explanation of the proper use of cover.

For heaven's sake don't use "OMG that'll get you shot in a real gunfight" as rationale for assessing penalties. Please remember that IDPA is a game with a rulebook. If someone wants to stick their hands through a port or past a wall more power to them, as long as 50% of their upper body and 100% of their lower body is behind cover- the rulebook's explanation of the proper use of cover.

Well you and I know it's a game, but IDPA dosent.

WTF?

If these are your visions, then perhaps you should step away from shooting sports for a while.

Edited by Steve Koski

WTF?

If these are your visions, then perhaps you should step away from shooting sports for a while.

Hopalong Cassidy would certainly shoot the gun out of your hand if you extending it past cover........

And.. It wastes a lot of time going in and out of ports.ph34r.gif

BlackKnight,

It seems that from your posts that you know your stuff tactically. I really appreciate that you are willing to share your knowledge with this list and others. Exactly how many gunfights have you been in? Exactly how many times have you personally disarmed someone with a firearm then hip tossed them to control the situation? Exactly how many times have you had a firearm discharged at you personally? I believe that knowing one's qualifications is important when learning from a master, so please expound on your qualifications so that I (or we) can learn from your knee. I am sure that IDPA (and all that shoot the sport) can learn something from you. Over the last two days (and on multiple forums) you seem to be willing to expond on all that is inferior with IDPA in your superior knowledge.

Thank you in advance.

I also love your signature line on another forum....something about being the gamer that makes RO's all shake in their boots.

Please expand on this subject as well.

Your (my sig) quote is a little off. It's also an inside joke between friends.

I'm pretty novice at gun toting. Also, someone at the range today seen all the shennigans I posted and so I imagine some you guys will getting some lovely PM's.

Edited by theblacknight

Your (my sig) quote is a little off. It's also an inside between friends.

I'm pretty novice at gun toting. Also, someone at the range today seen all the shennigans I posted and so I imagine some you guys will getting some lovely PM's.

Would that be The Range or a different club?

No zir! I googled "The Range" and got a place in VA and in CA. I'm not close to either. Why did you meet a total doucher at the range today? :roflol: It's not me I swear!

No zir! I googled "The Range" and got a place in VA and in CA. I'm not close to either. Why did you meet a total doucher at the range today? :roflol: It's not me I swear!

The Range, Oxford, NC

The internet is a pretty amazing place.

Not there either. 3 days,a couple of funny posts and the internet is after me. I don't think I'll make it.

Edited by theblacknight

blacknight, and everyone else,

We don't do "real-world" here. That isn't what this place is about. We also don't invite people to list their real-world qualifications.

I don't want to have to gut or close this thread, but not wanting to has never stopped me before.

Cool it right now, and know that repeat offenders are looking at bad vibes flowing their way.

...Your friendly neighborhood Mod Squad

Congrats on "most accurate."

that's sarcasm right? You cut deep Steve!

No, it was right there on the results from the September match "Most Accurate". It's a category that IDPA rewards.

I like to find things. What can I say? ;)

Wait a minute. . . guy from central texas, shooting 1911's, has the screen name Steve, already knows me. Is this Deadeye Steve??? Dude what's up? I totally choked my Seal team 6 audition :D (another inside joke for those reading)

stalk much?
See above. Steve is the guy! Edited by theblacknight

Kill the no dropping mags. No one does a tac load or RWR in a fight and if IDPA wants to be more "real life" then this needs to go.

+1

I know IDPA thinks that in a real life gun fight you may not know how many rounds you fire. That is the reason why practicing counting rounds should be encouraged. In my opinion if you practice counting rounds and optimizing your reloads ( reload with one round ileft n the chamber) on a weekly basis, than maybe it will become second nature in a high stress situation. I don't feel you should be penalized for good training.

I'm torn on this one.

I'm def with people who say "I'm not going to worry the 30 dollars I just dropped when I'm getting shot at", but then I also dont like to leave rounds with my prints on them anywhere out of my custody. This is a hard one.

I could,when I run my duty belt, just put the dump pouch up front like a kangaroo :rolleyes:

Here's my buddy's take on the subject.

I have absolutely no heartache at the thought of getting a fresh mag into the gun as soon as possible if you have just been in a gunfight. In the really real world the instructor doesn't wait for everyone to finish stuffing their pouches before a dude will pop out and try to kill you.

We have become so enamoured by the pouches we stick to our gear that we feel compelled to constantly reinforce not efficiency, but purchase justification.

The problem with the "tactical reload" is that it really is an administrative function that should only be carried out with someone providing direct cover. This is one of the problems with having people without a real tactical background teaching tactical marksmanship and manipulations.

Guys like Paul Howe don't seem to have a big problem with the "speed reload" either.

Edited by theblacknight

Well worded and thought out. Thank you.

Leave the "spirit" of the game alone. It's what sets IDPA apart.

Reloading is fine but up the PF and get rid of the mouse fart loads. I'm tired of watching guys mortar their rounds towards the target then having to push them the rest of the way through the target with a paster. No I'm not refering to you. There is another.

Leave reloads alone. Retention of ammo is good IMO. How many times have you screamed at the hero of the movie you're watching to take that guys ammo or gun? Having extra ammo is never bad.

Get rid of the ammo dumping rule. Not because I disagree with it but because it's impossible to enforce and only causes bad blood on the range.

Allow the use of more non-threats. I'd like to see it go from 1 NT for every 3 threats to up to 3 NT for every threat. I know it's not likely you'd want to engage bad guys with that many good guys around but it's probably more realistic than say "9 bad guys jump you at the local ATM, deal with it". ;)

Knee pads? lol. (this coming from a fat guy with bad knees. ;) )

Clean up the rule book. I'd like to see more black and white and less wording like "such and such is discouraged".

Revisit the reloading while moving bit.

And fault lines.....

faultline.jpg

How are you supposed to shoot this COF with a static fault line? You can get T1 and T2 is doable. But how about T3? I guess you could throw your left leg out as balast and LEEEAAAAAAANNNNNN out of the fault line hoping to get the shots off before you're in violation of the rules but then you may as well be shooting another sport as that strategy is neither practical OR tactical.

Before any of the rules lawyers jump me. It's written in the COF that the walls go from height of construction to the ground and for all intents and purposes are constructed of 6 inch thick, kryptonite infused titanium and are considered hard cover. For those who still don't get it T3 is set in such a way that any illegal shot from under the wall would send the round over the berm and the shooter to DQ to get me a Blizzard.

With an SO who understands what cover is and a shooter that doesn't try to push the envelope on every stinking rule, this COF can be shot without a static fault line. You just shuffle you're feet a few inches every couple of shots.

Leave the fault lines out. I enjoy shooting TWO DIFFERENT sports. ;)