Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DVC .38 SC ports/poople holes

straightravage

Would it be benifical to put two holes in the barrel right where top of the slide has been milled out? I have shot an AKAI in .38SC w/v8 ports and one fat one in the center. That thing is flat as can be with little dot movement. It is louder and you can feel the blase inside your body.

I have laready played with different loads and I have found that 9.6gr 3N38 w/124MG @ 1.235 works the best for the DVC now.

I just want to see if there is any little thing that can improve the dots performance.

Generally adding popple holes will make a gun shoot 'flatter' at the expensive of a little more recoil in the hand and of course a bit more noise/blast. This is because you'll be running more powder (more gas) with the barrel holes.

It's a personal preference thing really. Some like a softer recoiling gun (like say a trubor) some don't mind a slightly harsher gun that is flatter.

If the extra noise etc doesn't bother you and you prefer the flatter gun then by all means go for it.

Even this far away? Here's a top view90c48f250353e684fd9c49522402ea98.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't drill it man.

Those guns seem to shoot pretty darn good without and you may bugger up the resale value.

Wouldn't you have to re TiN the barrel too?

Edited by Ultimo-Hombre

Hello: Try some lighter bullets like 115's with some HS-6 first. Maybe some N105 or N350 as well. Although those fire balls from 3N38 look cool. Thanks, Eric

Listen to this man! :bow:

N105 was my favorite powder for 38 super, but lighter bullets will do more for flatness. 112gr is the lightest bullet allowed for major in USPSA, but to prove the point to yourself try some 95/100gr bullets over 11gr of 3N38.

The load in this video was 9.1gr of SP2 (almost identical to 3N38) under a 124gr bullet:

https://youtu.be/hv9cvoPByns

The load in this video was 10.0gr of SP2 under a 115gr bullet (same gun after hard chrome):

https://youtu.be/asRv1hXSjjI

The load in this video was 11.0gr of SP2 under a 100gr bullet:

https://youtu.be/v07mG4WpVr4

If you do decide you want to drill holes here's what I suggest:

90c48f250353e684fd9c49522402ea98_zpsjdg0

Elongate the last slot, then drill three 5/32" holes angled rearward at ten degrees, you can always ream them out to 3/16" later.

Edited by kneelingatlas

Elongate the last slot, then drill three 5/16" holes angled rearward at ten degrees, you can always ream them out to 3/16" later.

I think you mean drill to 5/32" holes first and ream to 3/16" if needed. 5/16" holes would be giant.

Ps I actually think n105 and 115s (or 121s in IPSC whete the min weight is 120) is my favourite 38super combo too. Possibly like it slightly more than 3n38 though they're pretty close. And that's in 2 open guns that both have popple holes. I think in guns with just the comp and no holes 3n38 seemed softer/nicer just a tad. But I do love mah holes. :)