Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you worry about your phone around magnetic mag pouches?

LeviSS

I was looking at gettinga DAA racer pouch with a magnet as my first pouch on my belt.

The description says to keep it away from electronics and credit cards.

I keep my phone in my left front pocket, so it would be directly below the magnetic mag pouch.

Has anyone had problems with this?

Agreed, the last thing you want is the goofy extra weight swinging around during a stage, or worse yet actually RINGING...... speaking from experience it kinda throws off your groove.

....or with my luck I'd put it in my back pocket and fall on it

but then, the whole thing is slightly academic.....it's a company phone and that's what IT departments are for! :-)

I've had the phone (iPhone 6s) right up against the daa magnet (which is very strong) for hours at a time. No ill effects to date. It did mess up the hand position on a watch (tag heuer carrera calibre) but that was easily re calibrated at tag (thank god!). I now take my watch off....

Magnets won't have any negative effect on any modern electronic device. They can only have an effect on data stored on magnetic media like tapes and traditional hard drives (and that's even a big stretch to say you could wipe out a hard drive with a magnet). Everything inside of a smart phone is solid state and even a magnet exponentially more powerful than what's on your pouch wouldn't do a thing. No worries :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Novice IDPA shooter had an old-school flip phone in a holder in front of his mags.

First stage I saw him grip the phone. Stop himself, and then load a mag. I meant to say something to him and forgot to.

On the next stage? Well, that particular phone explodes in a spectacular array of covers, screens, and batteries when it meets the frame of a 1911 at speed.