Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Make a SS feel like a DS? ... Is it possible?

igolfat8

I have a couple single stack 1911 9's. Is it possible to widen the grips to make it feel more like a double stack? I have large hands and coming from Glocks the 1911 feels so tiny in my hands. I just feel I would have more control with a wider grip.

My solution for this is to make "shims" cut to size that go between the frame and your grips. 1/16 inch shims will give you 1/8" wider grip. You can try it with cardboard to see if you like the concept. I've made them out of plastic, aluminum, and steel. Works great for me, YMMV.

On 8/11/2016 at 0:36 PM, echotango said:

Hogue thick grips make it the same as a 2011. I have them on a 22/45 and they are the same as my 2011's.

I took this advice and found some Hogue Grips on amazon for $20 and they make my 1911 feel like my 2011. They were advertised as 9/32" thick grips but the package read 5/16" 

I was planning on lathering them with silicon carbide but they're surprisingly aggressive. They are aluminum and I'll have to weigh the gun to make sure its still legal but I recommend the hogue to anyone trying to get their 1911 to feel like a double stack and not break the bank.

IMG_3294.JPGIMG_3293.JPG