Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accurate #7 vs. 3N38 vs. N105 in 38 Super Major?

BallisticianX

So I am moving from 9mm major to 38 Super Comp. I have had a love affair with the vanity of the 38 Super for years for no apparent reason, a secret lust over its history, power, and visual appeal maybe. None the less I cant resist it any longer and Bedell Open gun in 38 Super is ordered!

So back to point; I have a hoard of HS-6 but want to explore some slower powders for this new adventure into the 38 super comp. Im down to these 3 choices as they seem to be the best suited from my research into desired burn rate/density of the magnificent 38 super compensated. I would like to hear what you like best and why....what you dislike and why...and general personal experience between them, ya know, an intellectual showdown of which one is best!

Ok, go.........

105, besides being the most expensive, felt too sluggish for me. 7 and 3n38 feel better but that's all subjective. Not too snappy, not too sluggish.

Just my experience but older lots of 3n38 created inconsistent fireballs. I got a 4lb jug (new lot) for cheap and it didn't have the fireballs in the same pistols.

Performance between 7 and 3n38 is very close. I use 7 because its cheaper. Its dirtier but that doesn't seem to affect anything.

AA#7 for me.

I've tried quite a few powders and keep coming back to AA#7.

I"m not even sure if it is dirtier than N105/3N38. If so, it isn't by a lot. N350 is a different story (and worth trying if you are exploring powders), that stuff is the cleanest powder I've used to make major in 38 super.

Of the powders you mentioned:

AA#7 - Pros: fairly cheap, meters like water, good case density = no compressed loads, plenty gassy for the comp, works well with 115 to 150 grain bullets, accurate (very accurate), pretty consistent lot to lot, and generally available. Cons: a bit dirty, but not bad. Also, got a bad rap in the late 80's/early 90's for wearing barrels out prematurely and that stigma stuck. I believe there was a lot that had a bad mixture and did cause accelerated wear, but that was corrected and is not the norm. I have one gun that has 65k+ rounds of mostly AA7 through it and it will still shoot 1.5" at 25 yards. Back then it was made overseas, now it is made in the USA.

3N38 - I thought it performed well, but no better than AA#7 and it was very loud to me. I don't recall any fire balls, but do remember thinking that my double muffing wasn't enough.

N105 - Almost identical to AA#7 as far as shooting goes, but a lot more expensive and the case is very full which made it a pain to load.

Anyway, that is my .02 and YMMV. I always liked loading super, it is a reloaders cartridge. You can load it down to the bunny fart level, or pump it up to near .357 mag level. Very versatile and pretty forgiving. Enjoy your 38 super experience. :cheers:

AA#7 for me.

I've tried quite a few powders and keep coming back to AA#7.

I"m not even sure if it is dirtier than N105/3N38. If so, it isn't by a lot. N350 is a different story (and worth trying if you are exploring powders), that stuff is the cleanest powder I've used to make major in 38 super.

Of the powders you mentioned:

AA#7 - Pros: fairly cheap, meters like water, good case density = no compressed loads, plenty gassy for the comp, works well with 115 to 150 grain bullets, accurate (very accurate), pretty consistent lot to lot, and generally available. Cons: a bit dirty, but not bad. Also, got a bad rap in the late 80's/early 90's for wearing barrels out prematurely and that stigma stuck. I believe there was a lot that had a bad mixture and did cause accelerated wear, but that was corrected and is not the norm. I have one gun that has 65k+ rounds of mostly AA7 through it and it will still shoot 1.5" at 25 yards. Back then it was made overseas, now it is made in the USA.

3N38 - I thought it performed well, but no better than AA#7 and it was very loud to me. I don't recall any fire balls, but do remember thinking that my double muffing wasn't enough.

N105 - Almost identical to AA#7 as far as shooting goes, but a lot more expensive and the case is very full which made it a pain to load.

Anyway, that is my .02 and YMMV. I always liked loading super, it is a reloaders cartridge. You can load it down to the bunny fart level, or pump it up to near .357 mag level. Very versatile and pretty forgiving. Enjoy your 38 super experience. :cheers:

So do you feel dot tracking/muzzle rise is equally predictable between A #7 and 3N38?

I go back and forward between 3n38 and n105 as my 2 fav powders in 38 super. Both meter well (3n38 is so fine it's like dust!). Both are very clean. Both pretty loud. Both heaps of gas. I struggle to pick between them. N105 requires about 8% more powder by weight to give the same velocity so I guess n38 is cheaper...

I would definitely try both. :)

I love N105 with 115s/121s. Used to use 3N38 and it felt about the same recoil wise as 105. N105 feels a tad softer, but is dirtier. That case is sure full when using it N105 with 115s. 3N38 comes in 4lb jugs where N105 does not, so there's a little cost savings there. When I use up my stash of N105 I may go back to 3N38.

Once I finish with my HS-6 loads I will switch to AA7. Find it a lot cleaner than HS-6, very easy to track the dot and it works the comp very good.

I have compared it to CFE-P, BE-86, HS-6, 3N37 and WAC.

Edited by MrRick

124 gr MG JHP (1.235" OAL)

or 124 gr FMJ/CMJ (1.250" OAL)

10.2gr AA#7

Tula SRP/SPP/SPM, Win SRP, CCI SPP, Wolf SPP/SPM, Fed SRP, etc. (the usual suspects)

I use a Lee U-die and FCD at about 1/3 - 1/2 turn after contact. That is a medium to medium-light crimp - enough to prevent setback.

Out of a 5.4" Schuemann with three ports and 1:16 or 1:32 bbl I get about 169 to 172ish power factor. Never failed to make major.

After trying your other powders give AA7 a shot and see what you think and report back!

I am just starting open with SuperComp and using Autocomp. How does it compare with A #7 and 3N38?

Super Comp is a faster powder than the other two. I have no experience with it in 38 Super/SC but I used it for awhile in 9mm major in an M&P Open gun I built and it seemed alright or at least I had thought it was great until I got my Tanfoglio Gold Team in 9mm. I initially used Auto Comp in that but was able to get a hold of a couple other powders to try, Silhouette and HS-6. Auto Comp produced Major PF in 9mm with less of a charge than the other two. But I found it quite snappy and settled on HS-6 as it was a better feel and ran flatter indicative to working the comp/porting with more gas. So with the 38 Super (if that's what your loading for) a slower powder such as A#7 or 3N38 will require larger charge weights than Auto comp for a given velocity and therefore produce more gas to work the comp while keeping chamber pressures lower as well....reduce the beating on the gun. Auto comp is alright for 9mm as case capacity limits your options but to me not the best choice in the super where larger case capacity expands its propellant options ...Im sure some will disagree but I started this thread for opinions on the 3 slower powders as powder characteristics and physics would point to the greater the combustible mass of a given composition shall equal the greater the byproduct produced. But then again I'm not a scientist but I did stay at a Holiday inn once.....

Here is my chromo results with AA7. Keep in mind this is with 115s out of my STI DVC. I found all loads to be very accurate and the POI never shifted from my other 2 loads (9.5gr of HS-6 and 9.5gr of 3N37). 10.8gr is load data max load BTW.

AA#7.pdf

Edited by MrRick

I've used all those powders in my 38 super.

Vit I never had anything bad to say about any of their powders but they are expensive

AA7 Way to dirty for me

During the powder shortage I found some silhouette My GM requires 8.9 with 115 Hor FMJ and CCI SR primers for 166pf

8.0 with DP 124 HP Win SPM gets 166. now loading 8.3 but no choro as yet. No signs of pressure problems with any of these combos

Cheap, always available. Not as clean as Vit but I clean my gun frequently anyway.

I love AA#7 (38 Super)

I load 10.2g with a 125g Blue bullet. The gun has 2, 3/16" popple holes and the 3 gill Akai Ti comp, and it makes 174pf.

I was using WAC and it was good but the AA#7 is much softer in the hand and much cleaner. The HS 6 is also good, but I never worked up a load for major yet.

I run 6.6g with a 125g blue bullet in 9mm for my steel loads. They are going 1200fps which isn't far off of major and is soft hitting in the hand.

I love AA#7 (38 Super)

I load 10.2g with a 125g Blue bullet. The gun has 2, 3/16" popple holes and the 3 gill Akai Ti comp, and it makes 174pf.

I was using WAC and it was good but the AA#7 is much softer in the hand and much cleaner. The HS 6 is also good, but I never worked up a load for major yet.

I run 6.6g with a 125g blue bullet in 9mm for my steel loads. They are going 1200fps which isn't far off of major and is soft hitting in the hand.

Im sorry, the 2nd paragraph here is for HS-6

i used to have a 38 super comp. 3 hole hybrid with 3 port comp. loved VV powders. 115 gr with 105 was awesome but hated dealing with the full case. 124 gr with 3n38 and get em going up to 175ish power factor and it was magical.i really liked that load cause the case wasnt too full, and i just loved it when the gun is loud as hell and the dot doesnt move. thats what i got with my hybrid barrel and 3n38. they were made for each other. your already in open, and if you wanna win you cant cheap out so just suck it up and get a 4lb jug or two from powder valley when they have it in stock. or try to shoot a gun with these powders first before you buy to get an idea. good luck. .

Edited by user293

• 1 month later...

Found some aa7 I would like to try, 124 mg hp 38sc out of trubor no popples amy suggestions for starting loads?  Been using auto comp and cfe pistol just thought would see if there is a huge noticeable difference.  Thanks