Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Load Recipe

Qoo

Hello Shooters,

I am getting ready to load some rounds for my upcoming open gun.

CK Arms Thunder 9mm

I have HS-6 Powder, Montana Gold 124gr JHP Bullet, CCI 500 Small Pistol Primer

Does anyone use the same stuffs? I would like to find out the OAL from you.

Thanks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

124 MG JHPs, 8.0 grns. HS6, @ 1.16 OAL. and I highly suggest that you use Small Rifle Primers or at least Magnum Small Pistol Primers. SPPs are not capable of handling that kind of pressure and may eventually lead to breach face damage.

124 MG JHPs, 8.0 grns. HS6, @ 1.16 OAL. and I highly suggest that you use Small Rifle Primers or at least Magnum Small Pistol Primers. SPPs are not capable of handling that kind of pressure and may eventually lead to breach face damage.

Thanks for sharing the recipe, so i should use SRP instead of SPP? I have never had a open gun before and this is my first one, all information here are very valuable for me. I will check into your suggestion.

That's an interesting statement ShadoFann. I too want to prevent breech face erosion, but my thinking leads me to use SPP exclusively for 9 Major.

I figure SRP don't seal the primer pocket as well allowing gasses to escape around the primer and erode the breech face. Admittedly this is only speculation on my part and I've only been shooting 9 major for ~3 1/2 years, ~20K rounds, but spread over multiple guns with no single gun firing more than say 10K; I would be interested in hearing from someone with higher mileage guns.

It is worth noting none of my pistols show any signs of breech face erosion.

Edited by kneelingatlas

That's an interesting statement ShadoFann. I too want to prevent breech face erosion, but my thinking leads me to use SPP exclusively for 9 Major.

I figure SRP don't seal the primer pocket as well allowing gasses to escape around the primer and erode the breech face. Admittedly this is only speculation on my part and I've only been shooting 9 major for ~3 1/2 years, ~20K rounds, but spread over multiple guns with no single gun firing more than say 10K; I would be interested in hearing from someone with higher mileage guns.

It is worth noting none of my pistols show any signs of breech face erosion.

Your train of thought is correct. Hard primers in weak loads will not always seal, causing erosion. Soft primers in hot loads would be more likely to crater, or maybe even pierce altogether which would lead to other types of damage or problems.

I run only small rifle in my open loads

You'll find that folks argue both sides almost equally (SPP vs. SRP). I tend to think along the lines of kneelingatlas' reasoning. Pistol primers should do a better job of sealing and preventing gases from leaking around the primer edges. While there is probably more potential for a pierced cup with pistol primers versus rifle, that would seem to be a less frequent occurrence versus gases leaking around the cup due to a poor seal.

I am by no means an expert on the topic but it was suggested to me by my gun builder and several open shooters to use SRPs to avoid pitting or erosion of the breach face. I have seen it happen to a friends open gun. He was using SPPs and the breach face of his gun eventually became so pitted that he started having feeding problems and had to replace the slide. I have been using SRPs from day one on my open gun and probably have + 50k with no erosion issues. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to try 115 jhp start at 8.7 -HS6 and work up use SRP,

Iam at 9gr 5'' KKM barrel with 4 holes, Akia gill comp, PF172.5

Thanks much! bought almost 6K rounds of Montana Gold 124gr JHP, i guess i will stick with the MG for a little while.

As for the argument thatt spmp are harder than spp, that is also a myth except in rare cases. For Winchester primers, the cups are identical, and I believe the same for Remington and Federal ..CCI uses small rifle primer cups for their spmp, and as such, are harder than the spp.

1.165, 124gr MG JHP 8.4-8.6gr of HS-6 out of a full size JL Hardy. 173-175pf all day long. shoots very flat.

Thanks much for sharing the recipe

I use spp to work up loads then switch to spm once done for the bump in velocity and to help lessen HS-6 fouling.

Maybe it's me and not my gun, but I could not get 124 MG JHP's to plunk in my CK barrel anywhere near the oal I was used to running. I marked the bullet and found it was contacting the rifling. However 124 cmj's plunk and run like a dream as long as 1.185".

I'm going to revisit my tests with mg jhp's again to confirm. Just a heads up on jumping the gun for loads in a gun you don't have yet.