Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm titegroup 124 grain plated

ultimase

So I managed to get quite a bit of titegroup recently and will be switching from pb (titegroup meters soooo much better than pb). I'm reloading from rocky mountain reloading 124 grain plated round nose bullets with mixed headstamp brass. I'll be using S&B primers or Winchester as I have available. The one variable that's confusing me is the charge for titegroup.

Hodgdonreloading's webpage notes a starting charge of 3.6 with a max charge of 4.1 grains. I usually do a sanity check online to ensure that this makes sense, maybe it should be the other way around really. On this forum I'm seeing anywhere from 3.8 which makes sense to 4.3 which sounds like it would be overcharged.

I'll admit I'm more worried about this because titegroup is such a smaller charge and you could double charge fairly easily. And the powder has a reputation for being somewhat hot.

I think I'm going to go ahead and load 50ish of 3.8 grain and then maybe 50ish of 4.0 grains and go from there.

I'll be using these mostly in IDPA through a cz75 sp01.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Just for Sanity check reasons:

In my G34 I got the following:

Armscor 124 FMJ RN - 3.8 TG yielded 129 PF loaded to 1.142 OAL at 55 degrees F

Berry 124 Gr Plated RN - 3.8 TG yielded 125.98 PF

Same Armscor Load in my XDM 5.25 Yielded 130.9 PF.

I think you are starting on the right track, but I would consider starting a little lower and working up just for safety reasons. What OAL are you going to use? Cz's are known to have tight chambers. Make sure it will plunk test and be careful of where you are in regards to OAL. If you are having to start really short then be careful.

TG has been my most accurate powder so far. It meters great, but it would be REALLY easy to double charge one. Take your time and be careful when working up loads, because that is where it is easiest to make a mistake.

That's the one thing I don't remember off hand, I think it was the recommended OAL which is 1.150, and it did pass the plunk test when I loaded pb. I've since ran about 100 rounds of the pb through the sp01 and since I've changed the recoil spring to 12 lbs I've not had an issue with it.

I will have to remember to check the plunk test on the sp01 tonight when I get back.

I worked with my lnl last night a bit to get it to drop 3.8 fairly consistently. 3.8 would be a nice sweet spot as a little less wouldn't hurt too badly and little more wouldn't be too bad either if the powder measure drifted slightly. Though like I mentioned titegroup seems to meter much better than the pb.

9x45, that's one of the loads that would scare me a bit since it's over the published max. Though if anything it's reassuring because it looks like there is a bit of a safety margin. Though I just realized that the OAL is a bit longer so the pressure would be less.

• 1 month later...

So I didn't get around to running the 3.8 grains of titegroup with sb primers and 124 grain plated round nose until yesterday. I didn't get a chance to put together the 4.0 grains as mentioned above.

I friend had a chrono and we ran a few rounds through, and...3.8 grains fell short, only getting 940-960 fps out of them. Doing the math it looks like it'll take about 4.0 grains which is kinda scary as the published max is 4.1 grains. Though it does also mention that the fps with 4.1 grains is 1057 fps which would put me at 131 power factor.

So I didn't get around to running the 3.8 grains of titegroup with sb primers and 124 grain plated round nose until yesterday. I didn't get a chance to put together the 4.0 grains as mentioned above.

I friend had a chrono and we ran a few rounds through, and...3.8 grains fell short, only getting 940-960 fps out of them. Doing the math it looks like it'll take about 4.0 grains which is kinda scary as the published max is 4.1 grains. Though it does also mention that the fps with 4.1 grains is 1057 fps which would put me at 131 power factor.

If you take a look on the hodgdon site, look up the 125gr you'll see sierra fmjs which are 4.1-4.4 I think.

I have some plated 124gr that I'm loading at 4.2gr since 4 has occasional problems with knocking down plates.

If you take a look on the hodgdon site, look up the 125gr you'll see sierra fmjs which are 4.1-4.4 I think.

I have some plated 124gr that I'm loading at 4.2gr since 4 has occasional problems with knocking down plates.

Interesting that one grain in bullet weight can get you so much more variance. I'm feeling a bit better in trying titegroup around 4.0 grains now.

Edited by ultimase

I load Xtreme 124 grain Flat Points with 4.0 grains of Titegroup. The load is very accurate, shows no signs of high pressure and is a soft shooting load. I get a consistent PF of 130-131. These are loads I am using in IDPA and they work quiet well.

124 gr Berry's FPHB

3.8gr Titegroup

1.06 OAL

1050 fps

That does bring up the point that I could reduce my oal and stick with the same powder charge, but 1.150 when I did my oal test appears to be the longest I can run on the cz.

I'm pretty sure that your RMR plated are actually produced by X-treme Bullets, so that's as close as you will get to apples to apples on load data I think (comparing to those loading 124 gr X-Treme).

My closest load is...

- 130 gr Berry's plated

- 3.7 gr Titegroup @ 1.150"

- 1060 fps (138 pf)

- M&P 40 Pro 5" with KKM 9mm conversion barrel

3.9-4.0 grains of TG under a RMR 124gr RN at 1.135 OAL is an excellent load for me.

I'm pretty sure that your RMR plated are actually produced by X-treme Bullets, so that's as close as you will get to apples to apples on load data I think (comparing to those loading 124 gr X-Treme).

The owner of RMR is active over on the highroad forum, and he has been clear that they aren't made by xtreme. The RMR plating is much thicker. That said, I'm sure the load data is virtually the same.

Currently I load to make the wife's CZ p07 happy, it's lands and grooves are very close to the case mouth in the chamber, my CZ p01 is more forgiving on OAL but not much.

Same load runs very well in a S&W 5904 and a SW9VE, also a Beretta Nano.

9mm

Mixed head stamps our brass and range brass.

RMR 124gr, FP, plated

3.9 gr of Titegroup

OAL=1.080

FPS_AVG=1055

Your mileage may very

• 5 months later...