Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do You Want PCC?

d_striker

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not make it a side match for cash payout and gauge interest? Would be perfect for the half day major format.

No thanks I want to shoot it in the normal club matches for fun. Might as well say lets make revolver a side match or single stack.

USPSA does one thing well. Handgun matches

.The ball was dropped long ago with Multi-Gun. Lets face the facts, 3-gun has taken off as opposed to USPSA's Multi-Gun.

If PCC is added to the USPSA Multi-Gun matches, that is well and fine. Adding the division to handgun matches is just plain and simply problematic.

Adding PCC to a handgun match hniders course designers in their design of a COF. Try fitting a PCC in a briefcase or drawer for a gun ready condition, I understand that USPA is about shooting skills as opposed to any one start position or gun ready condition. Saying that, hands at sides, loaded and holstered for every start takes a lot out of the sport. So, it all becomes freestyle for every stage? Are we going to require a PCC competitor to operate their carbine strong or weak hand only? Is strong hand then the same as freestyle?I have heard the concept of strong shoulder/weak shoulder, it is just not the equivalent to freestyle,strong hand, weak hand.

Lets stay with what we do well,HANDGUN matches.

USPSA does one thing well. Handgun matches

.The ball was dropped long ago with Multi-Gun. Lets face the facts, 3-gun has taken off as opposed to USPSA's Multi-Gun.

If PCC is added to the USPSA Multi-Gun matches, that is well and fine. Adding the division to handgun matches is just plain and simply problematic.

Adding PCC to a handgun match hniders course designers in their design of a COF. Try fitting a PCC in a briefcase or drawer for a gun ready condition, I understand that USPA is about shooting skills as opposed to any one start position or gun ready condition. Saying that, hands at sides, loaded and holstered for every start takes a lot out of the sport. So, it all becomes freestyle for every stage? Are we going to require a PCC competitor to operate their carbine strong or weak hand only? Is strong hand then the same as freestyle?I have heard the concept of strong shoulder/weak shoulder, it is just not the equivalent to freestyle,strong hand, weak hand.

Lets stay with what we do well,HANDGUN matches.

Why does adding any division hinder any stage designer. The stages are being designed by people running pistols unless some how PCC shooters take over the sport which I doubt will happen. This will have no impact on those shooting their current divisions. It will add more shooters is all.

Pat

... Adding PCC to a handgun match hniders course designers in their design of a COF. Try fitting a PCC in a briefcase or drawer for a gun ready condition,...

PCC is sufficiently different that the rules really need to affirmatively allow the stage to stipulate DIFFERENT start positions for PCC vs. handguns. This will allow stage designers to continue to use novel and interesting handgun start conditions... PCC just starts somewhere else. In your briefcase example, handguns might start inside the case, PCC on top of the case. As PCC will be scored as a separate division, I don't see a problem beyond the extra work for the author of the WSB and maybe the stage construction crew to provide such an accommodation.

Most likely due to people running around with the rifles are more likely to send a rifle round over a berm(edit: into an adjacent property whereas a pistol round may not travel as far). Several ranges have this same rule due to their proximity to neighboring homes. PCC is no different than pistols in that regard so maybe if that's explained we can play. As for start positions having to be altered, PCC will be it's own division so that's not a big deal either. The stage designs won't have to change at all, the WSB will need to include a start position for the PCC and that should cover it.

Jon

Edited by Jmob50

Most likely due to people running around with the rifles are more likely to send a rifle round over a berm.

Are you thinking that said range owner honestly thinks that a person 'running around with rifle' is more likely to send a round over a berm than an equivalent person 'running around with a handgun'?

Not following here.

Most likely due to people running around with the rifles are more likely to send a rifle round over a berm.

Are you thinking that said range owner honestly thinks that a person 'running around with rifle' is more likely to send a round over a berm than an equivalent person 'running around with a handgun'?

Not following here.

The thought process that I've encountered was that a pistol round goes yada yada feet that is within their property/control area and a rifle round travels yada yada feet that is well outside of their property/control area and can enter a neighboring home etc and their insurance simply doesn't cover such and such weapons used in a specific way.

Jon

Reading over my post I should've clarified that but the intent was that their range may allow rifles to be shot but not as we shoot them in our matches. Rifles at ranges like these are intended to be shot from a bench or a stationary position

Jon

PCCs shoot at basically the velocity as Open Major so saying PCCs are more dangerous at the range is basically BS. A 16" barreled PCCs adds about 200 FPS to the muzzle velocity of your average 9mm round so in fact most of the PCC bullets will be slower than Major caliber pistol rounds. You might get equal velocity if you shoot NATO 9mm out of the PCC.

I was in my first match with PCCs this weekend, the monthly USPSA all steel match put on by Gravitas Tactical at North Mountain in VA. 2 were in my squad and both were operators (LEO). The matches are 2 day events and they allow PCCs and Shotguns in the Sunday PM squads. Did not effect shooting in anyway with steel only. Heck I out shot them in one stage with my Open Minor G34. One thing I noted was they can lean out farther out of an opening than any of the pistol shooters could do to shoot around some double stacked barrels. And while the stages had 20-22 targets at least once one had to put in a 3rd 25 rd mag (they pretty much always shot part of the 2nd mag).

Only thing I really learned was that I have to build another firearm. :)

I think this would be a lot of fun and don't see a lot of downsides

Another point is that shooting a long gun is way easier for a beginner and would probably be more accessible/more fun to people that don't get to go to the range that often and get to keep up on pistol skills or for the people that are just new to shooting

Also, 9x25 Dillon is allowed so velocity shouldn't be an issue. I think it would be comparable to .30 carbine which if also allowed, would make the division more accessible to people in ban states via M1 carbines

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

Not following here.

The thought process that I've encountered was that a pistol round goes yada yada feet that is within their property/control area and a rifle round travels yada yada feet that is well outside of their property/control area and can enter a neighboring home etc and their insurance simply doesn't cover such and such weapons used in a specific way.

Jon

It could have more to do with how a person naturally runs with a rifle between shooting positions. Normally you run with the muzzle of the rifle up at about 45 degrees. Touch one off that leaves a close neighbored range and you're much more likely to hit something off the property.

9, 40, 45 only in latest proposed rules I saw, goal to keep velocty < 1600 fps or so; comparable with Open guns.

That's a shame

I doubt that .30 carbine would cause issues and it could open this up more to the less gun friendly states

Even in non-ban states it would be a fun option to run

30 carbine commercial ammo runs an easy 2000 fps. Loading lighter is possible but getting good function < 1600 fps is a bit of a trick. How would you separate the two in practice?

9, 40, 45 only in latest proposed rules I saw, goal to keep velocty < 1600 fps or so; comparable with Open guns.

That's a shame

I doubt that .30 carbine would cause issues and it could open this up more to the less gun friendly states

Even in non-ban states it would be a fun option to run

30 carbine commercial ammo runs an easy 2000 fps. Loading lighter is possible but getting good function < 1600 fps is a bit of a trick. How would you separate the two in practice?

The velocity can be had in 9x25 Dillon loads with similar bullet weight

Also, 9x25 Dillon is allowed so velocity shouldn't be an issue. I think it would be comparable to .30 carbine which if also allowed, would make the division more accessible to people in ban states via M1 carbines

I don't think 9x25 is allowed... just 9x19 Parabellum. In any case, I haven't seen a 9x25 handgun in the wild in more than a decade, and that would be a pretty unusual round in a carbine.