Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro 5" Tungsten Guide Rod

DDustin

Is there a heavier tungsten guide rod for the 5" Pro than the one offered by Speed Shooters? I'm switching from my XD 5.25 and the rod I put in that made a huge difference in the feel of it. The XD tungsten rod is solid and weighed in at 4.1oz while the speed shooters rod is hollow and only 1.30oz. I would like to get a good bit heavier, are there any other options?

Is there a heavier tungsten guide rod for the 5" Pro than the one offered by Speed Shooters? I'm switching from my XD 5.25 and the rod I put in that made a huge difference in the feel of it. The XD tungsten rod is solid and weighed in at 4.1oz while the speed shooters rod is hollow and only 1.30oz. I would like to get a good bit heavier, are there any other options?

Elizabethtown? I just came back from Knob Creek :cheers: Do you have one of our guide rods or did you get that info from somewhere? Reason I ask is none of the guide rods we make, stainless or tungsten, are hollow. I don't remember the exact weight but I'm pretty sure it's more than 1.3 oz.

Yes sir, just down the road from them. How was the machine gun shoot? I ended up getting stuck with school stuff and missed it.

This one for 5" only

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=103_87_241&products_id=979

I was told was hollow but I could have mis-heard that. It's listed in the description though as weighing only 1.39oz.

This one for either the 4.5" or 5" weighs less and looks hollow to me in the pictured.

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=103_87_241&products_id=847

If the weight in the description is off, how much does it weigh?

In modifying my production gun within the 2oz. weight limit, I came up with the following:

M&P’s captured guide rod and spring weighs 0.92 ounce (26 grams)

SSS’s steel guide rod weighs 0.84 oz. and the tungsten guide rod weighs 1.7oz. Depending on brand, an uncaptured recoil spring weighs between 0.18 ounce and 0.32 ounce.

Assuming the higher weight for the uncaptured recoil spring, the uncaptured guide rod and spring total 1.16 ounces for steel and 2.03 ounces for tungsten. Therefore, the net increase by going from a captured to an uncaptured guide rod is 0.24 ounce for steel and 1.11 ounces for tungsten.

The shoot was great as always but there was waaayyy too much water, all of the competition ranges were under 10 feet of water.

I'm having the weights of the guide rods checked so we can correct the website if needed.

If you want to get more weight up front, you might want to get the SJC weight and see if it will fit on your rail or ask them about it. It's made for a Glock but it attaches to a standard rail so you should be able to get it to work for you. That would give 5.7 oz up front by the muzzle. I assume you are not shooting Production, right?

If you want to get more weight up front, you might want to get the SJC weight and see if it will fit on your rail or ask them about it. It's made for a Glock but it attaches to a standard rail so you should be able to get it to work for you. That would give 5.7 oz up front by the muzzle. I assume you are not shooting Production, right?

I shoot limited. I'm not familiar with this part, is it legal in limited and 3gun?

I shoot limited. I'm not familiar with this part, is it legal in limited and 3gun?

It's legal in Limited USPSA, but you may need a modified holster.

• 2 weeks later...

Soon. We just received a shipment of tungsten so we should be running them next week.

Are these springs available? I see they are sold out on your site

I'd like to know as well.

Family stuff has kept me out of the shop for the last 2 weeks but I should be able to get those running next week so hopefully it won't be long.