Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

behold, the $1 ghetto/redneck throw lever

I see so many people wanting a budget throw lever and not caring what it looks like to the point that an $18 fishing rod clamp is being used, so I'm just going to throw this out there. Believe it or not it actually works well.

Step 1: Buy a rubber stopper, such as this below, it is taller than it looks in this pic, this is the same one I used:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_139549-37672-881323_0__?Ntt=881323&UserSearch=881323&productId=3013260&rpp=32

Step 2: Drill a hole in it straight through, maybe 3/8" from the narrow end, barely big enough for a zip tie to go through. It helps to hold the stopper in vice grips.

Step 3: Insert a zip tie, clamp on to the scope pretty tightly (I used vice grips to pull on it), then cut the excess off.

Viola, you just made a throw lever for maybe $1.20 total, with tax. Pic is attached. Ideally it would be sanded to contour to the scope but it works without doing that on my MTAC. Yes it's a tad bit less than professional looking. If that's what you want, spend $60 per gun on an MGM SwitchView.

post-49714-0-40145000-1389547855.jpg

post-49714-0-25172900-1389549460.jpg

post-49714-0-40145000-1389547855_thumb.j

post-49714-0-25172900-1389549460_thumb.j

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Wonder if you could just use a zip tie and leave a little pigtail in place of the stopper. Even cheaper! :goof:

Nice job.

:) I think they do make a double headed zip tie, you'd just lose the leverage. I wandered the aisles of Lowes plus the website for Grainger looking for things I could use, this was the best I could come up with.

so you have a $400 scope sitting in a $200 mount on a $1,500 rifle and you don't want to spend the $60 on a switch view? J/K I like it! I just saw on FB where one of my friends broke his switch view throwing his rifle in a dump barrel this would be something to keep in your bag of tricks.

so you have a $400 scope sitting in a $200 mount on a $1,500 rifle and you don't want to spend the $60 on a switch view? J/K I like it! I just saw on FB where one of my friends broke his switch view throwing his rifle in a dump barrel this would be something to keep in your bag of tricks.

Just think, you could have 5 spares for less the $6! :)

Just kind of a priority thing for me. Mgm is cool and all but for the same price as two switch views, I could have three 5" targets and stands shipped to me. I just ordered six targets and stands from them from them and was looking to scrimp on something else to make up for that hit.

Just think, you could have 5 spares for less the $6! :)

Just kind of a priority thing for me. Mgm is cool and all but for the same price as two switch views, I could have three 5" targets and stands shipped to me. I just ordered six targets and stands from them from them and was looking to scrimp on something else to make up for that hit.

I like that kinda of thinking. A cool expensive switch view doesn't make you a better shooter, but 3 targets definitely will. I use the Breakaway Coasters on my scope.

Awww, Paul loves this, he is the second cheapest SOB I know! :roflol::roflol:

I predict that one day scopes will have built auto-magnification changer-thingies where you hit the 2x, 3x, 4x, 6x, etc. button and it automatically adjusts to that magnification. :ph34r:

I predict that one day scopes will have built auto-magnification changer-thingies where you hit the 2x, 3x, 4x, 6x, etc. button and it automatically adjusts to that magnification. :ph34r:

Who is the first??? My son put it in prespective for me I was bitching about the price of C-More batteries and he said "oh, for the scope on your 5K pistol you are worried about a battery that cost $4.00" lol

They will automatically track how hard your eye focuses on an object and with a built in H-U-D to select magnification level by glancing at it....

Dude, the dollar store sells 357 batteries - 4 for $1. You are soooo wasting your money! You could have bought 30 MG bullets with that saved money! :goof:

BTW - I've used just a good sized tie wrap with the lock nub as the handle and it works pretty well. Just need to be sure to take an emery board or file to dull the cut end so you don't slice any flesh.

I like the way you think, TwoShoes...heck, they probably already have something like that but it costs about 500 million and comes with an aircraft!

Edited by Bamboo

so you have a $400 scope sitting in a $200 mount on a $1,500 rifle and you don't want to spend the $60 on a switch view? J/K I like it!

The more I think about it... to be honest I feel like I'm polishing a turd by putting a $60 lever on a scope that I paid $325 for. About 20% of the cost of a scope shouldn't be a little metal stick that you clamp on to it. If I had a $2,200 Swaro it might be a different story. As it stands though, if I'm going to have to scrimp on the scope itself, then it's not getting polished.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Just to refine the zip tie a bit further.

I used a large size zip tie (black of course, but designer colors are available) with about 1/4" of tail past the zip tie lock knub. To ensure an esspert, non-slip, professional style installation I cut a 1/4" piece of bicycle inner tube and stretched it over the adjustment ring and then tightened the zip tie over it.

Two years later and still going strong. And I always have an extra zip tie in my kit, just in case somebody needs one.

The proper term is CRB. (Cheap Rat Bastard)

I'll have to put one of these on my $160 scope, with the $75 mount...that goes on my JP CTR-02. :)

I used to buy about the most expensive stuff I could find for my hobbies. Now I'm kind of wondering if it would be cool to embrace the "Thrift Shop" mentality and rock out with a bunch of crappy gear. :)