Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder choice with precision bullets 200gr?

Pro2AInPA

I've been looking at the cost of jacketed .45 bullets and it's a shocker, so I'm going to go with the Precision black bullets for my 1911.

What powder have you guys had success with using these bullets? Looking to keep the smoke to a minimum.

I have 231, Titegroup, and Clays on hand. But, I don't mind buying something new.

im using titegroup with 200 gr Precision molys. it can be a bit smokey tho, although ive rarely noticed it. like maybe 2 stages all year. check out my videos to see if its too much smoke for you.

im using titegroup with 200 gr Precision molys. it can be a bit smokey tho, although ive rarely noticed it. like maybe 2 stages all year. check out my videos to see if its too much smoke for you.

Thanks Corey, mind sharing your load, including OAL?

been at 4.9 gr but 3 or 4 recent chronos in the 173 PF range and i bumped it back to 4.8. it does seem to chrono a little hotter in hotter weather. I was at 170 PF with 4.9 in March/April and chronod at almost 174 in July at the IN Sectional (it was silly hot that weekend). Not even sure what the OAL is, haha. I followed the consensus of seating the SWC (im assuming thats what you are using here) bullet so the shoulder of the case is just a tad above the case mouth.

Edited by Corey

if you are seating/crimping together, be midful to not shave the plating off. also dont put too much crimp on it or you could see some accuracy troubles :mellow: . thats the word on the street anyway, ive only shot rainier plated, not the Berry's

if you are seating/crimping together, be midful to not shave the plating off. also dont put too much crimp on it or you could see some accuracy troubles :mellow: . thats the word on the street anyway, ive only shot rainier plated, not the Berry's

I've been shooting Berry's in .40 for quite a while now. As long as you get a good bell on the case mouth, and use a taper crimp instead of a roll or Lee FCD crimp, everything is good to go.

Solo1000 is a recommended load for low(er) smoke with lead/moly. It is my general pistol powder. The .45 loads are published by Accurate Arms, so they are "on the reservation." My numbers were ~4.8 gr with 200 gr LSWC, for PF ~172.

I find the smoke reduction using S1000 with regular lead bullets to be a matter of slight degree. There have been days...

I am using the Precision RNFP 200gr. Loaded with 5.4 gr of 231. When chronographed last match it was at 168 PF. OAL is 1.214 with a taper crimp of 0.471. Accuracy in my Springer factory TRP is about 1.75" at 25 yards. Plenty acurate for USPSA at least for me. FWIW. B)

All I shot in my .45s for the last couple of years have been Precision's 200gn SWC.

Best powers in my guns have been AA2, 231/HP38, Red Dot.

WST, Clays, and TiteGroup have been universally disappointing.

However, I am not shooting competitively and am only concerned with accuracy.

I hear some guys aside from this forum saying titegroup is smokey. Ive been a regular user of it this past year and dont notice it being very smokey. I get just as much with 231/HP38, Accurate #2 & 5, Clays, etc. The only time Ive noticed any smoke was with a moly coated bullet or traditional lubed lead. The smoke is from the bullet not the powder. I regularly use Bayou Bullets 200gr SWC (4.9gr TG)or Powerbond 200gr plated RN (5.4gr TG) and they barely smoke. Both of these bullets/loads are 168pf and consistantly shoot .9"-1.1" 5 shot groups at 25 yds. I have the best accuracy in the major pf range loads with titegroup. I have no complaints.