Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Road

fiddler

Saw it last weekend.

Wait for it to come out on DVD, then DON'T rent it.

That has become my standing recommendation for anything written by Cormac McCarthy. Poor character development, unresolved plotlines, blech.... I hope his books are better.

• 2 weeks later...

I got it as a audio book a year ago as an Xmas gift. the narration paints a very -Dark .....Cold - story after the second disk I had to stop listening or risk pointing the truck at a tree

I had no desire to see the flick , but I have herd the movie is less Bleak than the book

an excerpt from the book

"As we walked on through the ..Cold Dark Snow. In the damp darkness of a dissolute mode "

read the book about a year and a half ago, went out a picked up 4000 rounds of .223 and about 150 lbs of mountain house provisions, then obsessively checked on my kids at night for another few months. no interest in seeing the movie.

-jaredr

Saw it last weekend.

Wait for it to come out on DVD, then DON'T rent it.

That has become my standing recommendation for anything written by Cormac McCarthy. Poor character development, unresolved plotlines, blech.... I hope his books are better.

So not ever having read a Cormac McCarthy book you feel it would not be worthwhile to read said books....interesting :rolleyes:<_<

To be fair, if you have never read a BOOK by Cormac McCarthy, then it stands to reason that you will not like the movies. First I haven't seen a movie yet that does a book justice and secondly it is pretty hard to visually depict in a couple of hours what is written and described over 800+ pages.

I thought the movie was easier to watch than the book was to read.

I think that the length of the movie removed some of the interminable grind that the book fostered.

I was expecting the movie to be devastatingly depressing based on my experience with the book. I was (relatively) pleasantly surprised.

Good performances in a movie that will not appeal to the masses.

Saw it a few weeks ago, it appears to have been on very limited release. Just now recovered enough from the depression it sent me in to write about it :blink: Very depressing to say the least, and I am no stranger to end of the world as we know it stories...fun to play "the game" when you have time on your hands... :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

I found the book disturbing with its bleak imagery and the depravity of fallen mankind displayed at its worse. For whatever reason I still want to see the movie. I am a apocalyptic genre fanatic and one of the best IMHO is still "The Stand" by Stephen King. The book I read several times in both the long 2nd edition and the original and the movie I have watched over 10 times. You can find it in the bargain bins at Walmart once in a while for about 10 bucks.

earl

Edited by earlbob

• 3 months later...

I watched the DVD last night. If you don'y like apocalyptic/dark movies don't rent this one. If you have read the book (not an easy read), the movie makes a little more sense, but like most movies it does not really follow the book. I found myself trying to match the two. The movie does not do a good job of telling the story and sort of rambles.

I'd like to see "Alas, Babylon" and "One second After" made into movies, but they would probably not be done well either.

I thought the book was a good read. Very dark for sure and very grinding and dragging. I think this was done on purpose to help you feel the grind of the man and the boy.

Been wanting to see the movie for a while now.....

Francisco (my 17 yo) and I watched it last night; $5 "On Demand". I have never read McCarthy thus can't relate to the book. Dark, dark stuff... When the movie was over Fran asked me "What was the message in this movie?"

I answered: The message I took from it was that is how a father should protect his son, his angel as he told the old man, some folks I know would've probably ate the kid. Second, when you think you're totally lost without hope, there could always be someone following you and you're their hope.

Walking through a world where people are scavenging and feeding on each other a merry and cheerful story won't make. If the author tried to make me relate to the hopelessness and desperation, he did a good job. I don't think it was a bad movie, not for everyone though.

"I'll kill anyone who touches you; that's my job."

I just watched "The Road" last night, and really enjoyed it. If you need the Princess to live "Happily ever after" this movie isn't for you.

I personally don't feel like a movie has to "have a point" or "message." If it keeps me entertained for 2 hours or so, that's all I ask.

FWIW I really like No Country for Old Men, also.

Best description i've heard for this movie was a post on another board

"With characters named "Baby Eater", "Well Fed Cannibal" and "Amputee Man #1 in Cellar", I'm betting The Road won't be the Feel Good Movie of the Year."

he was right...

rented it this evening.

watched it with a buddy. I think we were both shouting at the screen at one point...what ever happened to the manly men in movies...the take charge and give orders kinda guys?

I went oh for two for movie selection tonight...that's what I am really bummed about. my other choice was The Watchmen...ugg...that DVD would only make a good coaster.

Saw this last night...definately not a feel good movie. The acting is good, but the movie is too short to really cover the story like it could/should be covered. I bet the book really is dark and depressing.

I watched "The Road" at home, never read the book. I thought it was average. What I didn't understand is why they kept moving after they found that bomb shelter with all that food. Made absolutely no sense to me, if the owners came then you leave if they ask you to. Until then then no way. I mean it was nukes that went off, not a comet hitting right? Walking around in the ash with radiation embedded in it is just stupid, unless you absolutely have to.

The movie should of been a lot longer. I think movies need to be like 2 to 2.5 hours long at least to compete with TV shows now since they come out on DVD and you can watch a whole season.