Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooting- one eye or two

OK  I probably already know the answer but do most of you keep one eye open or both while shooting?  I have tried with both and it is very difficult.  I am very good with only one eye but my speed is affected.  So what is the best way to line up sight picture?

I suffer from astigmatism, and my left eye is substantially weaker than my right, so aiming with both eyes open is not too much of a problem.  

However, I still find myself closing the left eye when I go to take long shots (20+yards), and keep both eyes open for shorter range engagements.

Given my "ailment" I haven't really had any problem with learning to shoot with both eyes open.

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

All effort made for shoot with the 2 yes open is very compensated with a much more relaxed and faster target aquisition!

You can´t delete that double vision of the sigths there, but your brain can ignore it...

When you shoot 2 or 3 years with both yes open and, only for fun, you try for a while to close the weak one, then you will feel how hard, slower  and dificult is to close the weak. You will ask yourself "How could I, in the past, shoot that way ???"

Open your yes, see, and be happy!

Ramos

Well said

I actually do not remember shooting with only one eye with a pistol. I probably did but I do not remember it.

I started out shooting with a bow and arrow and then went to shotguns. Then rifles and then finally handguns.

I switched from one eye/weaver to both eyes /mod. isoceles at the same time.

Very frustrating to go backwards in performance for the learning curve.

For me it was a case of first saying, "I don't care how the top dogs do it", to then saying, "there must be a reason why they do it."

Sure enough, both eyes are better. Just pick a day and do it. You'll get used to it and then excel with it.

SA

It is better. You might have a challenge if you are cross dominant. A lot of good shooters are and shoot 2 eyed. We all have a weakness that must be compensated for. For a select few its personality and there is no hope. ;)

A poll over on the 1911 Forum showed most people do shoot with both eyes open now.  Quite a surprise for me because I kept getting flamed when I posted that  I've been using two eyes open for years.  Heard lot's Of comments like "everybody knows you have to close the weak eye"... "well, use two eyes if it works better for you but it's wrong" over the posts.  I guess two eyes open is becoming the standard.

The last tape in Matt Burkett's 3-tape set is an interview with Brian Enos. It's worth the cost of the tapes by itself. In it Brian's asked the "one or two eyes" question. His answer might surprise you. It starts, "I think keeping both eyes open is SEVERELY overrated." And then he goes on to justify that statement. Made me feel better about squinting my weak eye while shooting, I'll tell you what.

Sometimes I shoot with one eye, sometimes with two. And of course sometimes it feels like I'm shooting with both eyes closed. On some types of targets it feels like shooting with one eye squinted or closed is best, on other targets it feels like both eyes open might be an advantage. But I feel it's way, way, way more important to keep your mind/eyes MOVING - quickly finding what's coming next. If you can do this, you could care less if you're shooting with one eye or two.

be

Duane,

I received yesterday the Mark Burkett tapes (very good ones ... special on Mark´s funny side) .

I watched all the tapes and sure listened the interview with Brian Enos, who, in my opinion is the person that made the deepest analysis on the "Standard" shot as a sport science.

When he gave that answer about the importance of shooting with both eyes opened, and right at the end of the tape ...  I am still experiencing the "shock" caused by his comment.

Há há há ....

(Actually there was some background noise  disturbing the interview, and let´s face that the van they were sitting on was far from comfortable....)

• 8 years later...

It is better. You might have a challenge if you are cross dominant. A lot of good shooters are and shoot 2 eyed. We all have a weakness that must be compensated for. For a select few its personality and there is no hope. ;)

I am cross dominant and thought that it is difficult to shoot with both eyes open. Any cross dominates out there with and opinion?

I am cross dominant and thought that it is difficult to shoot with both eyes open. Any cross dominates out there with and opinion?

wow! You dug this up from 8 years ago. There a lot of threads on this topic. Hit that search again and you should find several from this year. :D

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I have been dealing with this problem for some time now. As a boot Marine I almost couldn't qual with the m16 until my PMI (primary marksmanship instructor) diagnosed the problem. With handguns and 1x optics I generally shoot with both eyes open. Now that said, it isn't an easy skill to learn but when I was with FAST we shot thousands and thousands of rounds with rifle and pistol. Also, this technique gets exponentially worse as your target gets farther away or smaller. For example when I shoot my m4gery (EOtech) I would use both eyes open for a failure drill (2rnds Chest, 1rnd Head) @50m but past 50 and I have to force my left eye closed and just use the right eye. This also has worked for me with an ACOG (4x) and Aimpoint (1x). I do suggest you practice with a 1x optic before trying to shoot both eyes open with an ACOG.

For pistols it isnt a problem as you can shoot right handed using your left eye, just move your head a little. For 25m slow fire with a pistol I touch my chin to my right bicep just below the shoulder and I find that puts my left eye inline behind the sights.

All that said, eye dominance is a problem that I work on almost every time I go to the range. Often times when I am shooting a rifle fast, such as in a 3 gun or USPSA event, I lose control of my left eye and cannot keep it shut when I need to make a longer stage. For example, if I had just burned through some close targets and then had to take a longer shoot at a target obscured by no shoots, my left eye would be totally on its own program. I have to consciously think about closing it before I check sight picture and alignment before taking the shot. I have trained myself to be able to shoot both eyes open, or to force myself to use my right eye, but switching between the two techniques is still a challenge and I have been working on it for 6 or 7 years now.

For targets/adversaries at typical handgun engagement distances of 21 feet or so its much better to keep both eyes open when shooting. However, if a target is a little further out, obscured by a no-shoot or hard cover then I don't think its a big deal to close one eye to get optimum sight alignment, focus, etc. for that one tight shot. I think for this practical shooting game two eyes open shooting is a better for the vast majority of targets we shoot at which are usually no more than 15 yards or so.

I'm also cross dominant, Right handed but left eye dominant. Except for long 300M+ Shooting with a scope I always shoot two eyes open. I shoot pistols right handed and rifles left handed. I am "lucky" in that my left eye is much stronger than my right so my dominance is pretty clear. I have not found it to be a hinderance in either rifle or pistol shooting. If you were watching me shoot freestyle with a pistol I think you would have a hard time seeing that I was cross dominant though I do find that I turn my head slightly to the right to place my left eye more behind my sights.

Best,

CAZ

I am not cross eye dominate and currently shoot closing one eye. I played with this a little the other night in the basement and can see where if both eyes could be kept open it would open up my field of vision. However my non-dominate eye plays havoc with my sight picture and makes it jump off target, compared to when its closed. I did take a couple sight pictures where the sight picture stayed put.

What is the best exercise to train yourself to just use the dominate eye while they are both open?

Never heard of anyone not having a dominate eye before. What happens when you take hands and form a small circle, looking at something small and move your hands to your eye. Seems like its got to go to one eye or the other.

Never heard of anyone not having a dominate eye before. What happens when you take hands and form a small circle, looking at something small and move your hands to your eye. Seems like its got to go to one eye or the other.

I've never gotten any useful information from that exercise. If the hole is large enough to see the object with both eyes, it feels most natural to bring the hole midway between my eyes. If the hole is smaller (I have a roll of electrician's tape handy, I'll use that}, if I look through the hole with my left eye then that's where I'll bring the hole. Same for the right eye.

The "point at a distant object" drill is no different. I'll use the security light on the barn (about 80 yds.). When I focus on the light then extend my index finger at arms length, I see two fingers with the light between them. I can see both of the fingers clearly, but when I cover the light with either one, right or left, I can see the light through a "ghost image" of the finger and the other finger appears to be solid.

I used to have fun messing with the firearm instructors at Boy Scout camp, but other than that I don't think it's any better or worse than having a dominant eye.

Most interesting. I was just trying the first exerise and like you say if the hole is large in my hands I can bring my arms to which ever eye was being used to see the object before I start to move my hands to my head. Even if the hole is small (Dime size) I can move my head left or right until one of my eyes goes dominate and picks up on my target then I can bring my hands forward to that eye. And if I put my head in the middle than I never see the object. I think either eye can be made to focus as the dominate eye on a target.

I think you have the right approach to pick which eye you want to use and concentrate on it so that it becomes your dominate eye at that particular moment.

From day one, I learned to shoot with both eyes open. It seems un-natural to close one eye.

That statement is usually made by those who are not cross eye dominant.

Back in the day I could acquire targets with anybody, with tape over my non-aiming eye. I'm not saying that to brag, I'm saying it as a word of encouragement for other cross-eye dominant's like myself.

be

when i was still in school, we were thought to look into microscopes both eyes open (on single eye focus microscopes). I was lucky i learned that skill when i was young. It helped me great shooting iron sights. With open division, its different. both eyes open, one eye acquires the target, one eye tracks the dot. weird, but that is what i discovered with taping the front of my c-more.