Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Baby Eagle...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ancient thread.... Awake!!!

Hey do you guy know if there are any after market sights for this gun?

Mine shoots about 6 inches high..

I'm thinking about sending it to Dawson for a custom front sight.

The EAA and Tanfoglio front sights are .347 inch wide. They are the same size as the BE and they will fit the sideways cut in the BE and the Jericho.

The EAA and Tanfoglio front sights are .347 inch wide. They are the same size as the BE and they will fit the sideways cut in the BE and the Jericho.

Is this what your talking about?

http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/sights.html

The BE uses a dove tail cut..

That style sight will decently not fit..

Am I looking at the wrong cut?

Is this what your talking about?

http://www.henningshootsguns.com/shop/sights.html

The BE uses a dove tail cut..

That style sight will decently not fit..

Am I looking at the wrong cut?

Wrong cut. Go to EAA or Tanfoglio website and you will see them there. I asked Eric Grauffel to measure one for me and he says they are .347 wide and will fit the Jericho 941

• 3 weeks later...

The baby eagle is on my list but I was worried about these things:

1. customer service
  2. warranty
  3. availability of parts

I heard and read that the accuracy is phenomenal and the recoil is well controlled by its weight.

Edited by Art Yeo

• 3 weeks later...

The baby eagle is on my list but I was worried about these things:

1. customer service
  2. warranty
  3. availability of parts

I heard and read that the accuracy is phenomenal and the recoil is well controlled by its weight.

I love my Uzi Eagle! I run a 13# hammer spring from a Beretta 92F and the trigger is amazing, you're right about the full length dust cover soaking up recoil and the slide is also lighter than the CZ75 and it's clones (the new Witness Classic looks like it would be close).

327495_366467703368168_100000148232723_1642254_1476663799_o.jpg

That being said, the slide mounted de-cocker safety dictates that you start hammer down and shot the first shot DA, however, the best shooter at my club shoot this way with his de-cocker Beretta pretty successfully. I have been on the hunt for an elusive, frame safety model for some time now; with the ability to start cocked and locked, this would be the only gun for me to shoot in production (alright, twist my arm and I'll shoot an SP01).

As far as parts go, PM me if you need any, I have them all! Many CZ/Tanfo parts work in these guns with little or no customizing; this gun was home to the SA trigger and hammer from a CZ Tactical sport for a little while until I got into USPSA shooting and had to start using the safety.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been on the hunt for an elusive, frame safety model for some time now; with the ability to start cocked and locked, this would be the only gun for me to shoot in production

I want to correct my noob mistake: I was given misinformation by a gray haired guy at the range; since joining USPSA and reading my shiny new rulebook, it appears to me you CANNOT start cocked and locked with a selective fire pistol in Production. Experienced production guys, please chime in if I'm wrong again, I hate misinformation.

That being said, my decocker Uzi Eagle IS the gun I will shoot in production.

I want to correct my noob mistake: ... it appears to me you CANNOT start cocked and locked with a selective fire pistol in Production. Experienced production guys, please chime in if I'm wrong again, I hate misinformation..

Production = 1st shot from Double Action (fully de-cocked).

Does anyone know who might do trigger work on these?

You! The trigger system is nearly identical to the Tanfoglios and very similar to a CZ75, so videos/instructions are everywhere. Try this one from the CZ forum. I just did a killer trigger job on my CZ97B and now I'm thinking about doing a picture series on the same mods to my Uzi Eagle; I'll be sure to post it everywhere when I do.

I did a trigger job on my 941. DA is about 7# and SA is about 2#. Not hard to do. Start with a 15# Wolf hammer spring and a reduced power trigger bar lifter spring and a reduced power trigger return spring and go from there. The rest is just smoothing and polishing.

• 3 weeks later...

I did a trigger job on my 941. DA is about 7# and SA is about 2#. Not hard to do. Start with a 15# Wolf hammer spring and a reduced power trigger bar lifter spring and a reduced power trigger return spring and go from there. The rest is just smoothing and polishing.

Has anyone had light strike problems with the RP mainspring/hammerspring in their BE/941 ?????

I heard people have had a lot of problems with the 13# and 15# in there Cz's...... thanks for any input in advance.

Has anyone had light strike problems with the RP mainspring/hammerspring in their BE/941 ?????

I heard people have had a lot of problems with the 13# and 15# in there Cz's...... thanks for any input in advance.

The slight differences between CZ and Jericho fire control groups make CZ's slightly more prone to light strike than the Jerichos when using reduced power hammer springs (the firing pin spring is shorter on a CZ, and the hammer is lighter). I have shot the following hammer springs in my Jericho: 18#, 15#, 13#, 11#, and 8.5#; the 13# spring works every time, regardless of ammo, the 11# works less than half the time (but makes decent dents in the primers, so higher quality primers could help) and the 8.5# will not fire at all with the stock length firing pin and firing pin spring.

I've contacted Henning about the availability of a v-notch type extended firing pin but never heard back; unfortunately tuning of the slide mounted de-cocker safety CZ75 pattern pistols is not very common, so the parts are not so readily available. The firing pin spring is also different than the one in the CZ75, so as far as I know, no one makes an reduced power version. From my past experience, simply cutting off coils in not an effective/reliable DIY solution.

I am tempted to buy an extended firing pin from Henning and machine it to fit, but as this is not my primary competition gun, that project never makes it high on my list.

The best DIY trigger job readily available for the Jericho is a RP trigger return spring, a 13# hammer spring (I got both from Cajun Gun Works - CZ75 compatible items), an 18# trigger plunger spring from Henning (Tanfoglio Witness compatible item, small and large frame) and polishing of the sear, hammer, hammer strut and trigger bow (David from CGW made a great instructional post here). This should give you something close to the above mentioned numbers (2ish# SA and 7ish# DA) without having to machine any custom parts.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on my previous post: I bought a stock, large frame Tanfoglio firing pin from Numrich, reshaped the sides and trimmed the length to make an extended firing pin for my Uzi Eagle. Now the 11.5# hammer spring lights off 100% of the time and the 8.5# lights off about 50%. I'm going to talk to Wolff springs about a reduced power firing pin spring (it's longer than a CZ) and see if I can run the 8.5# spring 100% (I even have a 7.5# to play with...). All told the trigger is coming in at 6.0# DA and 2.3# SA. I do however think the bar spring of the CZ75 gives it a slight advantage over the trigger plunger of the Baby Eagle/Tanfoglio the best combo might be a CZ trigger combigned with a heavy Tanfoglio hammer (I just bought a 75B today so I'll have to give it a try).

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the full story on my Uzi Shadow:

Tanfoglio factory large frame firing pin:

LargeFrame.jpg

Then I got out the Dremel/files and went to work. I flattened the rounded side and trimmed the length and got it working before I tackled the V notch for the safety/decocker. I clipped six coils from the stock spring and took it to the range. The 8.5# hammer spring would not set off any rounds and the 11.5# spring set off about 50%. I sent and email off to Wolff Springs with the dimensions to see if they had anything which would work, but didn't get a response, so I went to Marshall's Industrial Hardware (the world's greatest hardware store!) to check out their compression spring department. I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, but I got a few I could double up. With the lighter springs, the 11.5# spring set off all the primers and the 8.5# set off about half; the problem was that when I dry fired, the firing pin traveled too far forward and got stuck in the hole in the breech face. Ideally my solution to this problem would be to use a spring with more, thinner coils, so the spring would be fully compressed before the pin got stuck in the hole. Since I don't have a spring factory at my disposal I tried some other combinations of the springs I have, including the little cutoff from the original, but unfortunately the more spring power I used to keep the firing pin from going too far forward, the more light strikes I got. Today I came up with a new approach: if I could just stop the pin before it got stuck the spring would only be strong enough to return the firing pin to the rearward position. I made a rubber washer which fell apart rather quickly, then I went to metal.

I am, without a doubt, the gunsmith equivalent to a shade tree mechanic; I don't own a three axis computerized milling machine, nor a lathe, I have a Dremel, files, sand paper, a 1/2"HP drill press and a milling vise. So when I want to make a spacer out of metal, I go to my miscellaneous bolts coffee cans, find something about the right size, chuck it up in the drill press, file off the threads and drill a hole in it:

2012-12-01_16-17-52_426.jpg

2012-12-01_16-10-29_601.jpg

2012-12-01_16-24-55_817.jpg

2012-12-01_16-29-57_80.jpg

2012-12-01_16-30-44_58.jpg

I've also swapped the trigger plunger spring for a random spring I found on the floor of the hardware store which happened to fit (I'm guessing in the #6-10# range); all told I'm running SA in the neighborhood of 2#, 4oz and DA about 5#, 10oz and setting off all my primers (whichever brand BVAC uses on their re manufactured ammo).

My BE has a chromed barrel so I would think the life expectancy would be longer than most pistol barrels by quite a bit. as for accuracy I have never really bench tested it so I cant tell group size at distance just that it shoots as good as I can,

Mike

btw, how is the accuracy of the BE/Jericho 941 and barrel life? Thanks.

The Jericho has been around for quite some time and manufactured in different factories, so I don't think you can make generalizations about the accuracy of the whole family, but mine is very good. It's an IMI and I think at the time many parts were manufactured on Tanfoglio equipment. The design as a whole has a lot of potential for accuracy: it borrows the slide in frame design from the CZ75 and the trigger plunger from the Witness (although I haven't decided which is a better system: the trigger plunger or the bar spring found in early Tanfos and CZs, any input???)

As far as the barrel life, mine was heavily used when I got it, I've shot the hell out of it and my polygonal rifled barrel looks brand new.