Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Scope Will You Use In The New Tactical Class?

bthp

This was covered some in the post about the new tactical class addition. However, instead of debating the pros and cons of the addition, I would like opinions on which scope is the best way to go.

I have used the ACOG TAO1NSN at Soldier of Fiction before, but had given some thought to the new TA31F with the BAC. I tried ACOG's donut models before, but had difficulty with small stell plates at longer distances with the donut (just couldn't get it right). Is the TA31F an acceptable choice for 3gun?

I would apprecitate any recommendations on the ACOGS or anything else that would be approved in the Tactical Class, as I have not shot the 3 Gun Nationals before.

I am going to use my IOR or my Leupold 1-5. Not sure which yet. Played with the IOR a lot this weekend out to 400 meters and I really like it. Its faster than my ACOG up close and about the same past 100-150.

I like the light weight of the Leupold. Then again I am used to two pound Nightforce scopes, so even anvils seem light compared to them.

Most scope for the $$: Simmons 1.5-5X. Ask Bennie "Mr. Modest" Hill

Other good choices:

Leupold 1.5-5X or 1-4X: tough and from a company with a great warranty. good glass. 1 inch tube does not have field of view that the 30 mm do but the ole duplex reticle is still one of the best. I think the 1.5-5X is available illuminated. Ask Tony Holmes who used a 1.5--5X to win 2002 open rifle. I believe that I've seen Todd "Shotgunning Beast" Salmon use a 1-4X.

IOR 1.1-4X: Excellent glass, wider field of view, clever reticle (CQB which I like more and more). Euro style diopter is way cool. Scope is "legal" for mystery mountain 3 gun. Heavy. Available illuminated. Somewhat pricey. Used by David "Lawdog" Neth.

Kahles 1.1-4X: Awesome glass and great field of view. I don't care for the reticles that I've seen. From a company w/ a tremendous history. pricey. Seen used by Kyle "Evil Stage Designer" Lamb and Jeff "Stronghanded shotgun loadings last hope" Cramblit.

ACOG TA11: great (the best??) reticle and glass, not a variable though. Tough. very pricey. Probably the best for shots past 350 yards. Favored by THE Kurt "I don't like pumpkin beer unless it's free" Miller.

Holosight: best under 75-100 yards but falls short on the longer shots unless you're Mike "El Prez" Voigt.

US Optics: Priciest. I've heard bad things about quality control.

Zeiss 1-4X: snobbiest but coolest as it has the "Z" on it. not commonly seen in US matches.

I have a Leupold 1.5-5X, an ACOG, a Holosight, and an IOR. Any one of them could be used to win the Nationals. If I shoot "tactical class," I will be there with my IOR.

Kelly:

I have tried the variable scopes and they just aren't any faster for me. With my myopic eyes the 3.5 is just right. Also there isn't much for my feeble mind to remember. I don't know how many times I've heard guys say man I could have done better, but I forgot to turn my scope up/down....or on, in the case of holos aimpoints, etc. Nope, for my tired mind and eyes the TA-11 is the answer wether for limited scope, tacticl, or open!! Yes there are some things I still won't accept when free such as STDs but even pumpkin beer would be drank, and who knows on a nice warm day a second might not even be refused! KURT

Wow a scope instructional just waiting for me. Thanks Kellyn. I have some questions about distance and target size. How often do you seet targets past 300 yard and how big are they? I have only participated in uspsa three gun matches and only area and local at that. We have had less than 10 or 12 shots past 100 yards in each of these matches and usp's seem to be the target of choice.

I use the Simmons 1.5-5x 20. I believe i paid around $ 90.00 for it. I have used/abused this scope for over a year. Shot distances from 3 yards to 300 yards with no regrets! Good clarity, dosent fog and havent hade to rezero yet. I cant compare to many other scopes except a 2-7x Redfield hunting scope and it gets less and less use by the year. Great deal for the money!

Tom,

Which IOR? There are different models, some have different reticle options.

Thanks, Lee

I picked up a 1.1-4 QCB reticule just after this years RM3G match in Raton.

I really like it. Set it at 1.1 for most all inside of 50 meters, crank it up to 4 past that. My only complaint is that it is heavy. Almost a pound. Well over a pound when you toss some rings on it.

Here in Eastern Colorado most of the clubs shoot past 100 meters most every match. The Pueblo club (my club) shoots out past 400 meters every month.

I was playing with my CZ 452 Scout .22LR earlier today. It has a spiffy Pentax 1.5-5X that would make an excellent 3-gun scope on an AR or FAL. I think you can get 'em for about $200.

I really like the 1X setting on my Leupold, though. I wish it went up to 6X, though. A 1-6X would be the bee's knees!

Why doesn't anyone make a variable that goes up to 6, but has a genuine (not 1.5ish) 1X setting on the low end?

I talked with John of JP a while ago and he is having Trijicon make up an ACOG reticle for him just for our type of shooting. Check out his site for detailed info, but basically it has ranging out to 300 without all of the other supurflous marks in the standard TA01A. He said it wouldn't be available until mid January, I think.

http://www.jprifles.com/JPTrijicon.shtml

1) That JP reticle is pretty cool and IMHO my better than the stock TA01A. I never could figure out why they had a 100 AND 200 hashmark.

2) The IOR 1.1.-4X has 4 numbers in it. 3,5,10 and 15. The 5, 10, and 15 refer to hashmarks on the mil reticle. They're designed for quick referencing on the mil reticle. Unnecessary in a battle scope, particularly out to 15! The 3 refers to a 10 in circle at 300 yards. The horseshoe reticle is designed to rangefind off of a human head at 100 yards which is why the interior is 10 MOA when set at 4X. That's roughly the size of a human head (10 inches). The outside of the horseshoe is 18MOA (again at 4X) which is roughly the size of a human's shoulders. So at 100 yards a head should fill the whole interior of the horseshoe and at 200 yards, a human head should take up the space between the center dot and the interior of the horseshoe. The 3 is for a head at 300 and so on out to 6. 600 is probably a bit far.

I forgot to mention that Bushnell, I know several shooters who've had great success with it.

Can you guys clue me in as to which Simmons 1.5-5X are you guys talking about? I found three models:

899721 1.5-5x32 ProDiamond

899608 1.5-5x20 WA ProDiamond

807787 1.5-5x32 Illuminated ProDiamond

And two pictures:

899608mini.gif

807787mini.gif

I'm not too sure if I'm hip to this reticle, but if it works, it works:

prodiamond_reticle.gif