Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I buy an Iphone?

My Verizon phone is dead (went through the laundry one too many times).

Right now all I do with my phone is talk, hardly ever text, no camera, no email, no web, etc. But I do have my own business now so email and mobile web would be nice to stay in touch with customers.

Looked at the Iphones, pretty cool, and from reading on here seems like folks love them.

First question, is it worth buying one?

Second is the S really worth $100 more? I feel like $100 for the regular 3G seems like a pretty good deal, $199 seems a bit steep.

Third question, all batteries eventually wear out, how long does that take on an Iphone and when it does don't you have to replace the whole phone?

Final question, the thing seems a bit fragile, is the Apple Care or whatever the warranty is worth it and will they take care of me if something breaks?

I love mine, and it allows me to work on the road much more effectively. Apps are the key to making this much more than a phone. I opted for the GS, and haven't looked back In two years, I'll se what the mature Droid looks like, but for now, iPhone is it for me.

I have both a blackberry and an iPhone.

The berry I like better for e-mail. And it's a decent phone. The obvious other plus is the removable battery.

I talk primarily on the iPhone. It's also better for web. I don't text much, but I prefer it for texting as well. And, as stated by bbbean, the aps do make a big difference.

I am, or at least was, with you in that I only used a phone to talk. However I have found my ability to get a lot of things done with the iPhone has been pretty cool. And you customize based on what your needs are, so it's "your" phone and not just the phone you got. Ironically the thing I use it the least for is music. I rarely, if ever, listen to the thing.

Both phones get the job done. I use my blackberry a TON more because I use it for business. But I see the iPhone as a more multi-use/multi-task phone. And if I ultimately had to choose between the two I would choose the iPhone.

J

A friend of mine has 3GS and I have 3G - his is noticeably faster on the web. Whether that is important to you for the extra $100 is up to you and your "gotta have the fastest" factor.

I carry a Blackberry for work (they make me), and an iPhone for personal use..... I had the iPhone first, love the touchscreen, and hate the Blackberry. YRMV.

First question, is it worth buying one?

Second is the S really worth $100 more? I feel like $100 for the regular 3G seems like a pretty good deal, $199 seems a bit steep.

Third question, all batteries eventually wear out, how long does that take on an Iphone and when it does don't you have to replace the whole phone?

Final question, the thing seems a bit fragile, is the Apple Care or whatever the warranty is worth it and will they take care of me if something breaks?

First & second- An Iphone is well worth the money. My wife has a first generation and I have a GS. Besides being extremely versatile they are also a lot of fun to use. I think the extra $100 is worth the extra speed. Time really goes into sloow motion with a slow Internet connection.

Third - I think my wife's phone is over 2 years old and the battery isstill going strong. When it dies, I'm guessing that a trip to the Apple Store and perhaps an overnight wait would be enough to have the battery replaced.

I feel the Apple Care warranty is well worth it. The Apple techs have been extremely helpful in the past whenever I called.

Hope this helps.

Can you even get an I phone with Verizon? I thought the I phone was an AT&T exclusive so wouldn't you have to switch carriers?

To use a different carrier on the iphone you need to Jailbreak and unlock the phone, this isn't hard to do, and the phone will work just fine afterwards, however, some have concerns about the warranty after the action is done. Is it for everyone? NO..

But it will let you use a different carrier with your phone.

http://www.appleiphonereview.com/iphone-tu...hone-jailbreak/

Well I got one. Now I am posting from a walmart parking lot:)

Cool. If I could get one from Verizon, without jailbreaking it, I probably would....

So far AT&T has worked well for me and I've downloaded half a dozen apps.

Well I got one. Now I am posting from a walmart parking lot:)

Cool. If I could get one from Verizon, without jailbreaking it, I probably would....

So far AT&T has worked well for me and I've downloaded half a dozen apps.

I get that's a regional thing. Friends who live 40 miles away swear by AT&T, and get reception on an indoor range where Verizon's sketchy. Where I live and work though, there were many AT&T issues when I was using that provider, all of which went away with Verizon.....

Man these things are addicting, was able to find out the temperature at the match yesterday and check my hight factor on the classifier using classifiercalc.com (my HF sucked, I was probably distracted thinking "I can check my hightfactor right after I shoot this" while I was shooting.

Anyone recommend a free or cheap MS Office app? Quickoffice sounds good but it ain't free.

Also are there any free or cheap GPS Navigation apps? Or is there some extra fee to AT&T to use this thing as a GPS navigation? I have a GPS In my car but figured this might be good if I'm walking somewhere or whatever.

Ironically this post is not from my iPhone.

Also are there any free or cheap GPS Navigation apps? Or is there some extra fee to AT&T to use this thing as a GPS navigation? I have a GPS In my car but figured this might be good if I'm walking somewhere or whatever.

Ironically this post is not from my iPhone.

Motionx is my choice. 4.99 for the app. If you want turn by turn voice guidance its $2.99 a month or $29.99/yr.

Beats the heck out of AT&T's $19.99/mo!

BB

You guys pushed me over the edge. I finally got out of the stone ages and went swich carriers to AT&T and got me and my wife an IPhone today. So far it is COOL. So far it is worth it. I hope I still feel the same after the new wears off but I really think I will.

The company I work for has a corporate account with them which allows me to get the service at 20% off. So for $10 more a month I now have Nation wide with internet as opposed to my old school phone of just calls and text messages. Can't beat that. WOOT!