Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about building

Sudden Death

Ok guys I am thinking about building a 308 precision rifle on a Remy 700 action and I need some advise and places to look for parts, so if you guys can give me some info and places to get parts. So here goes, I need to find

Remy 700 action

I want to use box mags, so I think I need a floor plate with trigger guard and mags

I'am guessing a 20 to 22 inch barrel

I think I can find the rest in Brownells :cheers:

You might want to try your local pawn shop or a gun show to see if someone has a rem700 for sale. Also you might go to the SnipersHide website and look at the for sale forum. In DEC of last year I found someone selling a REM700 action and I bought it. Hope this helps.

Depending on the deal and what your smith will charge to true up a donor action, it is sometimes a wash to just purchase a custom action to start with. A donor 700 action will be around $3-350 and depending on what needs to be done to correct it may run from $250-350. So you can easily be into a used action $550-$700 dollars.

Right now on Snipershide there is a group buy on Surgeon actions and you can pick up a short action for $688, and now have a brand new absolutely true and square action rather than a "fixed" used action. Just another way to go if you are starting from scratch. The surgeon action is the only active group buy right now but there have been several others and there are sure to be more for other brands of custom actions. The prices have always been pretty similar.

As for bottom metal that accepts box mags there are a few to choose from. Badger Ordnance, Seekins Precision, Surgeon all make bottom metal. Or if you choose there are several chassis systems that fit the 700 footprint that allow the use of box mags, JP Rifles Accuracy International McCree Precision and TACMOD.

• 1 month later...

My first question is "How serious are you and how small a hole do you want to punch at X number of yards". If you are just dinking around, check out a Savage 10 FCP. Mine shoots under 1" at 300 yards, easily pounds 8" plates at 500 adn 600 yards. I am into my rifle and scope under $1300 and it shoots way better than I do. Just a thought. I know some people are Remmy all the way, but they are not the only name out there.

• 1 month later...

I recommend buying a Rem 700 cheapest one you can find.

Just decide long or short action.

Once you get gun strip it down - trigger guard / stock / barrel - sell on ebay or gunbroker

I use douglas barrels - they fit and chamber to receiver, they use to fit muzzlebrakes as well, not sure if they still do.

McMillan Stocks - Send to them, they will pillar and glass bed (awesome job)

Good luck with your build! I am doing the same at the moment and just got my rifle today! :D Seeking lots of help and advice!

Here's where I am thus far:

1. Purchased a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308. (the SPS Varmint has the 26" barrel and the adjustable X-Mark trigger - A good place to start I have learned.)

2. Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 SF in Mildot. (Will graduate to better glass and retire this one to a varmint rifle.)

3. Warne 20 MOA Base

4. Leupold low QDC rings (Have good experiences here and the rings will retire with the glass.)

I plan to do as much of the work as possible, but have some good coaches and a gunsmith who is really good on the Remmy!

It is going to be a slow build for the experience of shooting the rifle at different stages and because of the cost. Enjoy your journey!

Cheers,

Kyle

• 1 month later...

Not sure where you are on this, but I would second the Savage. Buddy just got their precision carbine (20" .308) and it is a shooter. It has the new accustock and accutrigger. Can be had for $800ish. Second option is to buy a Rem 700 police and send it to George Gardner at GA Precision. George can skim coat bed the stock, adj. the trigger pull, square the action and recrown the bbl for you. He told me he does these for PD's who can't afford a full custom stick and they shoot very well. Once you shoot out the bbl, or get more serious you can send it GAP for a full house custom.

That said, if you have the cash and want to cry once buy right, do a Surgeon, GAP, or Badger build and you won't be sorry.

Good luck,

Nick-

P.S. GAP offers a crusader on GAP's own action. It is a production precision rifle and ready to go. Delivery is pretty quick from GAP. gaprecision.net

If I may, lemme offer a slightly different opinion. For a budget build I have a Rem700 5R. 24" stainless 1:11.25". I have a local to me rifle smith whom I have had extremely good results with for years now who squared the bolt face, recrowned, trigger job, and bedded it for me for $125. with my load of 168gn SMK's over 45.5g Varget I'm veeerry pleased with it. without qouting group size, because honestly i've never measured a group, for fun some friends and i get together at my range and shoot golf balls at the 300yd berm. for just checking my load periodically I put a ipsc target paster (.75" sq) at 200 yds and keep 3rds in it.

I'm no serious long range shooter, not by a long shot (no pun intended). dont pretend to be and i didnt stay at a holiday inn last nite either. but, for under $1000 minus optics (we wont open that can of worms here) I am extremely pleased with my investment.

I do have a badger ordnance detachable mag bottom metal kit here, as well at a Manners T2A stock cut for it. either this gun or my .243 built by the same gunsmith will end up in it with the mag kit.

like i said earlier, its just another option.

Brownells is now selling Rem 700 actions again. :devil:

ETA: I am not affiliated with Brownells in any way nor do I profit from the sales of the Rem 700 actions, they are just a great platform to build off of. When it's all said and done, you can buy a custom action for what you have in an R700 that's been blueprinted.

Edited by kgunz11

• 1 month later...

Jeff, this is a rem 700LA it started life as a 7mag from the Cabela's used gun racks, for 300.00, Benny rebarreled it with a stock 308 varminter barrel and punched it out to 300mag, and trued the bolt face to the action and then I bought an AI AICS for it, a few months later Robby Johnson sent me his new stock, and I shot that group with it pretty much cobbled together. the most expensive part was the scope, that I bought used, all said and done it cost roughly 2K. You can spend a lot more, but you may not get more, the money saved allowed me to get more bullets and powder to practice with, in my first LR match in WYO. I came in second, practice is much more important than people give it credit, good components are great but nothing beats practice.

Trapr

post-3384-12758409311_thumb.jpg