Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prices of Reloading Components

jkatz44

Hi,

I am new to reloading to am trying to get the most information. What is the typical price of brass, bullets, and primers? I know it depends on what type of brand and quantity but I am just looking for a normal price per K.

Thanks,

Jason

Edited by jkatz44

Jason, there is a lot of variation in reloading components. You will probably just have to start doing some searches on web. Lots of vendors here on BE sell components as well.

Places to start would be Powder Valley / Wideners / Midway / Graf & Sons / Mid South / Montana Gold / Black Bullet International / ....................................................

You may even have local suppliers that could be a source as well. Look for sales as well.

your local range would be a great source for brass, tho I have noticed at my range, its been very clean of late, due tothe shortage of components and the fact our local recycle dealers are now taking range brass as scrap brass....

like what has been posted before me, the prices of components has at least doubled in the past yr, and fueled a whole host of things not seen before in the shooting community(ie..hoarding and profiteering) will it mellow out and prices come back to some sort of normalcy??? I dont see it happening for a while yet....

Hi, Jason. Try hard to find primers and/or powder locally. Otherwise the separate Hazmat fees will kill you. That is, unless you order in large quantities. But you asked about costs... what caliber(s) will you be loading? Can you be happy with lead? Most who are not at a very high skill level yet do fine with lead, and it's a lot cheaper. For lead, try Missouri Bullets, and Precision Delta for fmj- both on-line. Once you find your components, and can scavenge range brass, the cost of reloaded rounds can be way less than factory loads. For example, my 9mm cost me about $5 to $6 per 50. Best of luck, and shoot safe.

Chuck

your local range would be a great source for brass, tho I have noticed at my range, its been very clean of late, due tothe shortage of components and the fact our local recycle dealers are now taking range brass as scrap brass....

like what has been posted before me, the prices of components has at least doubled in the past yr, and fueled a whole host of things not seen before in the shooting community(ie..hoarding and profiteering) will it mellow out and prices come back to some sort of normalcy??? I dont see it happening for a while yet....

Well, I buy 9mm reloads from a local guy. I pay $155 per K. My current load for my MP is 4.7 grains of CLAYs with a 124 gr bullet. Do you think it would be benificial to start reloading?

Hi, Jason. Try hard to find primers and/or powder locally. Otherwise the separate Hazmat fees will kill you. That is, unless you order in large quantities. But you asked about costs... what caliber(s) will you be loading? Can you be happy with lead? Most who are not at a very high skill level yet do fine with lead, and it's a lot cheaper. For lead, try Missouri Bullets, and Precision Delta for fmj- both on-line. Once you find your components, and can scavenge range brass, the cost of reloaded rounds can be way less than factory loads. For example, my 9mm cost me about $5 to $6 per 50. Best of luck, and shoot safe.

Chuck

I am only shooting 9mm right now. I am trying to collect as much brass as I can so when i start, I have some. I will be trying to try lead as long as it will be reliable with my gun. ( S&W M&P 9mmL) Also, is it easy to get the lead out of the barrel? If so, how. I have heard about Black Bullets International. Are these good lead rounds?

$155 per K is not too bad. But I find reloading very enjoyable and you can easily tweak every aspect of the load to find the best combo for you pistol and shooting style. Components have gotten a little easier to find...I agree with Flycaster, try to buy powder and primers local. Just pick up the phone and start calling.

I've purchased 8# of 231, 7000 LP primers and 2000 LSWC in the last 10 days.

It's all still out there, at times. I gave a little more than I normally do but I was getting low. Once I figured out I hadn't blown ALL my Christmas money and everyone else had a pile of presents, it was time for a little kickback to the wage earner.....lol

I use 3.8 grains of Clays, a 124 grain Montana Gold JHP bullet, Winchester or Wolf small pistol primers and once shot brass that I collect from our range. This combination gives me a 130 PF through my 5" XD-9 Tactical.

The cost for the powder is about 1¢ including shipping and the HazMat fees when I buy powder in 2-8 pound canister lots. The bullet is a bit over 8¢ when purchased in a box of 3750. The primers are about 3¢ when purchase 10K at a time and with the powder to avoid a second HazMat fee. The brass is free. Therefore, the total variable cost per round is about 12¢ for me. Then you need to add a prorated fixed cost for the press and accessories. For me this is about another 2¢ per round since I now have over 60K of rounds through my Dillon XL650. The total cost is then about 14¢ per round. Of course this does not include my time but as other posters have said it allows me to tailor the round to my needs and preferences.

If you can buy reliable reloads for 15.5¢ per round and don't mind what I suspect is a slightly high PF then I recommend you stick with your supplier.

Edited by XD Niner

When I could buy .40 for $160 and 9mm for $100 per 1000 I just bought it. I had a press and could reload, but I was just lazy. Now with the cost rising so much I have switched to reloading only. It all depends on your situation. If I could get reliable reloads for $155/k i would probably do it. If they would meet my criteria(powder charge etc) I would definately buy them....

Its out there. Brass doesn't have to be super expensive. Hit up your local range and see if they separate and if they'll sell in bulk.

Bullets haven't been a problem, as all I shoot is common sized Montana Golds. Pretty much every order is to my door in under a week.

Powder and primers I buy in bulk. Not as big a bulk as some, but when they come up I buy a lot. Last year I bought enough N320 to shoot for a year. Look at the websites previously mentioned, place your back order and wait. It'll come up eventually.

I paid about .02 per on 9mm brass and about .03 for .40. Bullets run about .11 each. Powder depends on what you're using. Primers have been about $27-34.

Edited by Seth

I cast quite a few of my own bullets. It adds another aspect to the sport for me. Some view reloading and bullet casting as a chore and dread it, but I view it as an enjoyable part of the sport. Shooting USPSA, ICORE and IDPA keeps me busy ( I shot 72 matches in 2009) and between matches and practice, that's alot of rounds down range. Add in that I load for my son and girlfriensd as well, shooting would not be affordable, if not for reloading. I do sell brass and lead, both in ingot form and as cast bullets to help offset the cost of my own shooting expenses. As an added thought, I have never thought of reloading as a way to save money (I have spent ALOT on components and equipment over the years) but it allows me to shoot much more for the amount of money spent.

Around my area Primers easy to find. They go from 37.00 up to 40.00 per K. The average for powder is 18.00 for a 1LB can... Powder is harder to find.. Your best bet is to buy local if you can find it. If not place a backorder from a online Company. As for brass its still plentyful and cheap to buy if you look around...

Its out there. Brass doesn't have to be super expensive. Hit up your local range and see if they separate and if they'll sell in bulk.

Thats where its MOST expensive around my area. We're talking 10c or more for .45acp brass and 5c+ for 9mm bought from the ranges. Time to take a RO course I guess.

I shoot lead right now, and reuse as much of my own brass as I can. I can get my reloads to about half price from Walmart prices. Primers locally are about 32 perK. Powder can be bought locally also, but better deals if buy in bulk from places like Powder Valley.

Edited by DWFAN