Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

165 PF Load For 175 PF Comp

Paul Burtchell

I've done alot of reading on the forum but, I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I'm about to get and older open pistol in 38 super that was set up for the old power factor. I want to load for the new power factor and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a good load that would still work the comp effectively?

I believe the pistol has a 9# recoil spring installed now.

Below is a picture of the Pistol & comp, it that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by baerburtchell

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll be fine running most of the 165PF loads. That comp looks better suited for 165 than 175 to me. I just put an older 38 super open gun on hold at a local gun shop it has four ports on top and at the muzzle has three ports on each side, two of which will most likely be removed.

Tim

Drop down a little in bullet weight, go to a slightly slower powder and it'll work just fine. Just looking at your comp, I don't think it'll be a big deal even if you stayed with the same powder and bullet and just dropped the powder charge a touch.

Based on the size and how many ports that comp has, I'd try something like 4756, 3N38 or N105 with a 121 or 115gr bullet....you'll have plenty of gas volume to work the comp.

Try to keep in mind that the whole concept of "flatter is better" isn't really true. Consistent dot-tracking is the most important thing.....smooth, straight up and down is primary. I know a couple of top gunsmiths who said they've built guns that had virtually zero dot rise, but nobody could shoot them well....a slight tweak to where they raise a consistent amount while staying in sight and suddenly anybody can shoot them. R,

HS-6 is pretty dense. I ran 4756 in my 38SC gun and it filled the case nicely and burned very clean. I remember it being pretty inexpensive too. Should be plenty of reload data on the forum. Remember most of us are still running PF's above 170 anyway.

Edited by boz1911

I've got some HS6 and also Silhouette. I may start with those. I was also thinking N105, N350, 3N38 or even 7625??

With a comp like yours I'd expect N105 to be the softest and have the least dot rise (tons of gas to work the comp). 3N38 won't be far behind, but in some guns (for some weird reason) it'll give you whoompa fireballs from time to time....not sure why. N350 will work and was one of the most popular powders at the old power factor, but probably won't be quite as flat. 7625 is quite a bit faster than the other three. It's also noticably reverse-temperature sensitive. If you get some Atlanta Arms 38SC Major, it's loaded with a Zero 125gr JHP and what I've been told is 7625....so that would be an easy test (it's also incredibly consistent).

With a 124/125 I'd start at 7.5gr of N350 (probably wind up closer to 8). With 3N38 I'd start around 9gr (might need around 9.5gr). N105 I'd start at 9.5gr (might wind up at 10). I haven't loaded 7625, but there's a bunch of data on it that people have posted.

If you drop down to a 115 you should bump those up by around .5gr. In my guns I need 10.5gr of N105, 10.0gr of 3N38 and 8.5gr of N350 to make 170+. R,

Paul Welcome back to the dark side. Nice Piece. Its got some weight to it in the handle so its going to be a good shooter, I saw it I almost bought it, it was a steal. Don't go whacking on it till you run it for a few months.

Ok to the load. That comp is a lot like the one on the old Competitor you sold to Timnahl I bought. I have been thru a lot of powders finding one that works well. Like Brazos says 10gr or more. I settled in on 125gr JHP Zeros with 10.4gr of Accurate 7 and that is the best load I have come up with. I'm running a 10# recoil spring in the gun. I am thinking about trying some heavier springs to see what happens. With this load the dot stays in the A Zone but I still wait for it to settle before breaking the shot. Accurate 7 is cheap but you will find a little unburned powder inside the gun, so clean it often. It meters well in my Hornady but I have not tried it in the Dillon. I bought 8lbs for $100 at 10.5 gr it won't last that long.

My top secret minor load is 5.1gr of WST with a 115gr RN Zero, shoots like an airsoft. The gun has more recoil and flip with the 22LR conversion than this load. Depending on slide weight you might need to drop the recoil spring. Another low cost powder paid $110 for 8 lbs at Bexar Community Range.

I have tried N105 its a compressed load and at the TX state open it got hot and pushed the bullets out, N350 not bad but a little too much flip, IMR7625, IMR4756, HS6, TruBlue, 3N37, PowderPistol, and a couple others didn't make the grade.

Most important thing is mastering the Dot, not just off the draw but dry fire around opjects, bending down thru ports and all kind of wierd positions and did I say weak hand strong hand. Remember 2"s high up close. I couldn't do it so I went Quinn.

I have tried N105 its a compressed load and at the TX state open it got hot and pushed the bullets out,

How many grains of N105 were you using? I'm running 10.5gr in one load and have also used 10.7gr with another and both are just slight compressed at 1.235". I've shot that load in lots of very hot matches....at least up to 100F and never had a bullet pushed out.

I'd be more than a little worried if I didn't have enough neck tension to prevent that :surprise:

Looking at Montana Gold, Zero & PD I can't seem to find any source for 130 or 135's that do not have an exposed lead base. I do not see any 135 CMJ's or JHP's?

Why would you want to use a 130 or 135? It's the polar opposite of what you're talking about in this thread, i.e. getting the comp to work to keep the gun shooting flat. Heavier bullets are going to give you more muzzle flip in an Open gun. R,

As far as bullet, I would stick with the tried and proven 124gr projectile. That comp I think would work well with most loads, and it will boil down to what you like. I would be curious to see how IMR 7625 would work in that gun with that comp design. Each gun is different- so is the shooter. I suggest experimenting and play around untill you get a load that is reliable, consistent, and one that you like the feel of. You're not running barrel ports or a big long comp, so myself I don't think you will need the large powder volume loads to make your gun work well. My best tip to you is get out there and shoot that blaster and have lots of fun doing it :cheers: Don't get too tied up thinking you will immediately find that perfect load right away, getting out and shooting will tell the tale and by experimenting you will find that sweet @ss load you are looking for. Good luck!

Sorry dude, I assumed when I mentioned a 124gr bullet most would also think 121 and 125, and to be honest I think Fiocchi makes a 123gr bullet. As far as 115 forgive me as those of us outside of the USA can't load below 120 for major in open, and it slipped my mind.

Sorry dude, I assumed when I mentioned a 124gr bullet most would also think 121 and 125, and to be honest I think Fiocchi makes a 123gr bullet. As far as 115 forgive me as those of us outside of the USA can't load below 120 for major in open, and it slipped my mind.
It's all good. :cheers: Thanks for your info. & ideas. Edited by baerburtchell