Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inexpensive helmet cam

sifu128

I was watching a news piece on the electronics expo and they showed a video camera that is built into a pair of ski gogles. The camera is self contained and mounted between the eyes just above center. Anyone seen any info on them? I search a bit but didn't find anything.

Hey Slav, thanks for the video!! From the video it looks like the camera is so heavy on your hat, however I am sure that it isn't.

That camera looks heavier than it is due to it boxy design. You notice the weight when you first put it on but on several occasions I have forgotten to take it off after shooting the stage. The mount is semi permanently attached to the hat and I bring a second hat to wear while I am not shooting.

They have now come out with a micro version of the camera that sells for $130 and is about 1/2 the size of the ones I have. It runs on 2 AAA as opposed to two AA which helps to trim quite a bit of weight off. The fact that these cameras run on common replaceable batteries is another selling point for me. I just keep a 4pack of batteries in my bag and don't have to worry about forgetting to charge the camera.

I'm with MemphisMechanic, I think the ContourHD is the way to go. Maybe a little more expensive than some of the cheaper cameras on the market but the bennefits out way the price objection in my mind. No cords, very easy and secure mount, around 4 ounces is light enough that you don't notice you've even got it on, easy to operate, 1080p or 720p HD at 60 frames per second, good quality video. I love mine. I bought the 720p. Depending on what you're going to do with the video the 720p will probably be more than enough.

http://www.vholdr.com/

Terry

I picked up a contour HD.

Aside from finding a good way to attach it to my ears without using the permanent attachment (using the goggle attachment with velcro straps), I've been impressed with it while testing it doing dryfire practice.

You do have to get it positioned correctly, but once you get that spot set and marked, I was amazed at what it covers.

I can't wait to live fire practice with it.

me too. i got mine about a week ago and finally got out to the range to test it with live fire.

-the video is very clear, with an excellent field of vision.

-the record on/off switch is easy to use, even while it's mounted. an audible beep tells you if it's on or off.

-i mounted it to the bill of a hat with zip ties (punched 4 holes in the bill and secured the mount to the hat...the camera slides on/off the mount easily). that worked pretty well, but i'll try the earphone mount next to see if the viewing angle is better. with the hat mount, the viewing angle doesn't show reloads very well.

-plugging the camera into my computer with the USB cord allows easy viewing/saving of the video in quicktime. i haven't tried any editing yet.

-sound quality is good and the sound of live fire was not overwhelming.

overall it seems excellent.

• 1 month later...

Im using a video camera that is designed for aircraft RC it works great and its not expensive / lightweight at the sametime and easy to install in a baseball cap. it can take a video continously for 2-3hrs thats the battery life each charge, it has 2g chips that comes free.

this is the product

http://www.nitroplanes.com/sm18gfpvmivi.html

this is one of the video I had with it / the video with the hatcamera is in the middle part the first part is how

Im wearing the baseball cap with camera attached to right side but you can hardly see the camera because its small enough to notice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2YnxN7seiU yes..yes Im still a newbie

heres one more video on indoor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GzuDNRmVpo

Edited by 9mmalpha

All of my videos are done with a GoPro cam. When the camera works, it works great. When it wants to be moody (50% of the time lately) it is worthless. At this point I would recommend something else other than the GoPro camera series.

I want someone to make a tiny, seethru camera that i can mount to the lens in front of my dominant eye. That is all.

Is that too much to ask?

I was watching something on National Geo this week and they had a camera just like you describe on a SWAT guy. They were using it to see how fast he was able to scan the room and find the suspects as he went. Now THAT would be a killer view for USPSA, looking THROUGH the sights as the person is shooting and seeing just what they are seeing. It's only money after all. :roflol:

Joe W.

Here ya go

Glasses

They come as regular sunglasses as well as the camo. Looks decent.

Flyin

Here is the newest video out there. The video looks like better quality. Does anyone know Tori or know is she is on the forums??

Here

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40

• 2 weeks later...

Aside from finding a good way to attach it to my ears without using the permanent attachment (using the goggle attachment with velcro straps), I've been impressed with it while testing it doing dryfire practice.

You do have to get it positioned correctly, but once you get that spot set and marked, I was amazed at what it covers.

I can't wait to live fire practice with it.

Hey Vluc, can you show us an example? I am thinking about going out and getting the HD tomorrow. I have done a lot of research, and after a ton of contemplating I think I have made up my mind. What ears are you using? I am using MSA Sordins and thinking about just mounting it to the side.

• 8 months later...
I have one from www.boostervision.com I use on my RC aircraft and also mounted it in a set of ear muffs. It's only $70 but it's only RX/TX you have to have a camcorder first.

Blow your budget and buy a CONTOURHD... $275 for a totally self-contained unit that shoots over an hour of high definition footage. Small too.

I used an Oregon scientific and motocomm unit first. Wish I hadn't wasted my time.

Got some vids at:

http://www.YouTube.com/memphismechanic

I have an Epic HD cam, which is ok, but I wish I had spent the money on the ContourHD......

MM, how do you have your's mounted to your had / muffs / etc?