Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inexpensive helmet cam

sifu128

Hey guys, I am curious about what type of helmet cams you guys are using? I am trying to fing something that is inexpensive that can take a little range abuse?

TIA

Thanks! I did look at those already. There has to be something smaller out there and a bit less expensive.

I used to use a ATC2K from Oregon Scientific. Its waterproof, comes with differents types of mounts. I strapped one mount right on to my ear protector. For under a hundred bucks its not a bad deal. Probably can find some used also...

Matt

I used to use a ATC2K from Oregon Scientific. Its waterproof, comes with differents types of mounts. I strapped one mount right on to my ear protector. For under a hundred bucks its not a bad deal. Probably can find some used also...

Matt

This is exactly what I am looking for!! Thank you!

Happy Holidays!

I run the Epic Action Cam.

It is lighter and smaller than the ATC2K.

Velcos to the brim of my hat.

How does yours work? I had one for a few days and even in daylight the image was so dark that I couldn't see anything. Needless to say it went back to the store.

sifu128, it looks like there are quite a few of them for sale on ebay. I wonder how the quality of the video is.

Joe W.

How does yours work? I had one for a few days and even in daylight the image was so dark that I couldn't see anything. Needless to say it went back to the store.

I think you got a bad one. Mine works fine until about dusk... and low light inside is pretty rough.

However, typical match footage all looks fine... if I can keep my hat on my head. :roflol:

For a small recorder that dumps to SD cards.. I am real happy with it.

I think you got a bad one. Mine works fine until about dusk... and low light inside is pretty rough.

However, typical match footage all looks fine... if I can keep my hat on my head. :roflol:

For a small recorder that dumps to SD cards.. I am real happy with it.

Anyone using the tachyon xc? From the reviews and the price it looks like the best one out there.

Here is a great site that offers about the lowest prices I have found but also very good reviews of several cameras.

http://shop.helmetcameracentral.com/

Maineshootah,

From the reviews on a couple different sites your experience leads me to believe you got a good one.

Edited by smokshwn

I have one from www.boostervision.com I use on my RC aircraft and also mounted it in a set of ear muffs. It's only $70 but it's only RX/TX you have to have a camcorder first.

Blow your budget and buy a CONTOURHD... $275 for a totally self-contained unit that shoots over an hour of high definition footage. Small too.

I used an Oregon scientific and motocomm unit first. Wish I hadn't wasted my time.

Got some vids at:

http://www.YouTube.com/memphismechanic

I have one from www.boostervision.com I use on my RC aircraft and also mounted it in a set of ear muffs. It's only $70 but it's only RX/TX you have to have a camcorder first.

Blow your budget and buy a CONTOURHD... $275 for a totally self-contained unit that shoots over an hour of high definition footage. Small too.

I used an Oregon scientific and motocomm unit first. Wish I hadn't wasted my time.

Got some vids at:

MemphisMechanic,

Nice camera... Really has me interested...

How did you mount it?

How did you mount it?

The camera comes with a could of mounts, and they slide into a rail on the body of the unit. I stuck the surface-mount one to the headband on my earmuffs, right over my right muff.

I used to run it mounted on top of the bill of a hat. Find my airsoft plate-rack video. It was shot that way.

I use Tachyon XC camera. It is boxy but not really much heavier than any of the others mentioned here. It does provide a pretty good resolution and captures a lot of light. The 2010 model has a really wide angle view. At $150 it is pricier than some but it comes with a lot of extras. It is also completely waterproof (and I have tested that). You can see the video quality and the mounting

. Keep in mind that was the 2009 camera with a narrower field of view. I have the 2010 and the angle of the lens is much wider.

How did you mount it?

The camera comes with a could of mounts, and they slide into a rail on the body of the unit. I stuck the surface-mount one to the headband on my earmuffs, right over my right muff.

I used to run it mounted on top of the bill of a hat. Find my airsoft plate-rack video. It was shot that way.

Side of the head mount gives you a bit of a weird perspective. I tried that once and quickly switched to cap mount.

ORPCI match video

I have two VHOLDRs (not the HD version). Since the HD versions came out you can find left over standard resolution (640x480) VHOLDRS for less than $100. My two cameras set me back less than $200 total. I have mine mounted upside down on a pair of Sordin earmuffs. This puts the lens at the same level as my eyes.

Since everyone is showing off their hat cam. :-)

Not exactly "inexpensive" and is probably the most expensive unit out today. But I love it, I can't shoot a match without it. When I have it on, I can not even notice it's there.

I love being able to view my footage "on the field" and not wait till I get home to find out my camera was mounted incorrectly the whole time. I also like that it's not a huge camera bouncing around on the bill of my cap.

I mounted mine on my ear muffs at 11 oclock. I want an overall view of my shooting field and what I am seeing. My gun is centered and at the lower 1/3 of the screen so you can see everything else. Mounting it on your ear muff gives it a goofy over the shoulder look. It also doesn't "fish eye" when you move.

Here's how mine is mounted.

ari002copy.jpg

pov1_300.jpg

3161_1095591001178_1568682177_23139.jpg

It's mounted on a Pict rail. When I shoot, I throw my ear muffs on, and put the recording unit in my back pocket. When I take it off, I just take my muffs off, and put it in my bag and throw foams in my ear. Very easy, and I don't have to walk around a match with a pocket camera bouncing around the bill of my hat.

I have fully submerged my unit in water. I mean, completely submerged, not trickles of rain. And it still functions great. This unit is built to exceed mil spec. It has recorded TONS of shooting footage and keeps on going.

Edited by Aristotle

Got some vids at:

i've seen some complaints about video editing in a few reviews of the CONTOURHD. have you had any issues?

thanks.

i've seen some complaints about video editing in a few reviews of the CONTOURHD. have you had any issues?

thanks.

It's the issue that it records in Quicktime, but also mainly that it's 720p high-definition footage. I found several programs that would import and edit, but very few will output such a high quality picture (1080x720). iMovie on the mac, Windows Movie Maker, Virtual Edit... none will do larger than 640x480. So I spent $25ish on Quicktime Pro, and edit them that way. Sure, it's missing fancy transitions and whatever, but it's easy and it works.

thanks.

It's the issue that it records in Quicktime, but also mainly that it's 720p high-definition footage. I found several programs that would import and edit, but very few will output such a high quality picture (1080x720). iMovie on the mac, Windows Movie Maker, Virtual Edit... none will do larger than 640x480. So I spent $25ish on Quicktime Pro, and edit them that way. Sure, it's missing fancy transitions and whatever, but it's easy and it works.

thanks. as long as i can easily view the videos i can live without some editing frills. amazon has the CONTOURHD for $204.