Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comfortable OWB Holster for CCW

hawk45

I have a few Sparks IWBs and love them, but sometimes I prefer to carry OWB. I have a crappy $9 holster I've been using and it utilitarian at best but looking for something nicer. Comfort is main goal with bulk being second. What do you recommend? It can be leather or kydex (or other polymer).

Thanks,

Hawk

Mitch Rosen makes some of the finest OWB holsters I've seen and used. I carry a Glock 27 converted to .357SIG and his belt-slide is the cat's meow! They're really snug until they get broken in and that may take a bit of getting used to, but they're tough and good looking too.

Alan~^~

Kramer Vertical Belt Scabbard in horeshide. I started running one of these for my G23 in 2003 and I'm still using that same holster (wearing it right now). Since that first one I've bought them for my G22, G27 and Smith 640. Super holster, very comfortable, durable as can be and it snugs the gun up tight, without being so tight you can do a fast draw from it. I like that it's got the belt tunnel built in with a stabilizer loop towards the back, so you only have to consider where one belt loop is when putting it on....that also helps minimize bulk. R,

Good quality hand made with reasonable delivery times and some nice finish options try El Paso Saddlery. I use both there Street combat and Slide . For IWB though Sparks is the best I have seen

Boats

Depends on the gun, but for a low cost minimalist holster, have a look at the Don Hume JIT slide.

+1 on this one - on my belt now. I also like the First Agent (also Hume) and the Galco M7 Matrix. None of them are expensive but hold the gun well and tight to the body, and ride just high enough.

JimInFl

A classic design, to be sure. It's what I used before defecting to the Blade-Tech Standard Belt Holster. Orginally Bruce Nelson's #1 Professional. (The "BN" in 55BN stands for Bruce Nelson.) Along with another Bruce Nelson design, the classic Summer Special, the #1 Professional has got to be the most copied concealment holster design in history. Milt Sparks calls it the 55BN. Bianchi calls it the Askins Avenger. Kramer Handgun Leather calls it the Vertical Scabbard. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I prefer an OWB holster, and kydex has oficially won me over, but I couldn't stomach spending 50 to 70 bucks on a decent kydex holster. So I bought all the stuff and made my own. I love it, and I'm making some more for the guys in my agency.

DSCF0001-2.jpg

DSCF0002-2.jpg

Edited by RAZZ

• 2 weeks later...
No offense, but Don Hume really is toward the low end of quality as well as price. I think you'll find yourself upgrading in short order. ;)

No argument, but we've been issuing a particular DH holster for a couple of years now. They seem to be holding up nicely and not many people complain about them. I've got them for both G22 and G23 and have worn them for instructing new trainees (so it's identical to what they have) and it's not really a bad holster. Obviously, I'm sold on my Kramers, but for the price I won't knock the DH models. R,

No offense, but Don Hume really is toward the low end of quality as well as price.
I've got a couple and they are OK. If I carried a gun for a living, I probably wouldn't use one, but they are decent enough for light use, which I think is what he was asking for.

Not everyone needs or wants top of the line; best that money can buy; gear all the time, every time. There's room for mid-range and even low-end stuff sometimes.

No offense, but Don Hume really is toward the low end of quality as well as price. I think you'll find yourself upgrading in short order. ;)

No offense taken.. I have 4 Sparks VM2's and an Axiom.. top notch to say the least. But I can't keep dropping $120 and waiting 6+ months for each one. I got a few of the Hume's on the way.. the first to arrive was a little 715 IWB for my G26. It has the cheap metal over-the-belt clip but it works GREAT! Draws easy and comfortable. And the big thing.. real easy on/off. I've been carrying daily for about 2 weeks now and am very impressed for the $18 I spent on it. Can't wait for the 720 OT OWB to get here to try out. Even if they only last a few years.. they are only $18 -$30.. practically throw away. Now to try a JIT for the snubbie. I do like Kydex as it is what I use for USPSA and draws sick fast.. but I just can't find one that is comfortable when sitting. I find them to dig into me too.. and I'm not a big guy by any means.

Edited by hawk45

Hello: Safariland make some good holsters for the money. I don't know what you are carrying so it is hard to tell what will work best. I have some Sparks holsters as well and they are great--pricey but great. I would suggest you look at the 1911 Forum and see all the different holsters that people are using there as well. Lots of choices so little cash :roflol: Thanks, Eric

I carried a 5" 1911 concealed in a Galco F.L.E.T.C.H. for a couple of years and really liked it. I don't bother concealing any more, though. Living in an open carry state makes life much easier. :)

Yeah, good luck with that :ph34r:

No need for luck. <_<

I've OC'ed 3-5 days a week every week for a year. Never a problem.