Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flat Top Slide

BN91205

Hello All,

I am in the process of ordering a slide from Caspian to begin the build of my single-stack 45. Not going to compete with it as much as having it built for personal protection/home defense. Wondering if having a flat-topped slide makes that big of a difference to warrant spending the extra $ on it? Benefits? Pros/Cons? I look forward to any advice you are willing to pass along.

Thanks,

Brian

Hello All,

I am in the process of ordering a slide from Caspian to begin the build of my single-stack 45. Not going to compete with it as much as having it built for personal protection/home defense. Wondering if having a flat-topped slide makes that big of a difference to warrant spending the extra $ on it? Benefits? Pros/Cons? I look forward to any advice you are willing to pass along.

Thanks,

Brian

My main SS is flat topped, my Limited guns are Tri-topped. I had the limited guns Tri-topped as I like the looks and it saves some weight. The SS came from Springfield flat topped and it looks pretty good the way as well but I prefer the Tri-topped slides better. In the end I think its more for aesthetics.

Lighter slide leads to faster cycle of the gun.

means that the sight will come back faster.

That's only true up to a point, and only with certain qualifications. In reality a heavier slide can flip less and get back to center (proper sight picture) quicker with the right springs, but the problem becomes that it goes past center and you get front sight dip, which is what we (USPSA/IDPA shooters) want to avoid.

Since it's pretty much a lock that he's going to be using full power factory ammo in it, it's not the same as most of us running light springs and "Major" loads that have far less recoil than factory self-defense ammo. Not only that, but you're talking about very little weight removed with a typical flat-top so it's not going to be noticable on the shooter end. Hand someone two otherwise identical guns, one with a flat top and other with a round top, have them shoot the same ammo in them and nobody save for the absolute best in the world will be able to see any difference, and if they do, it's going to be very slight.

I like flat-tops and tri-tops, but I don't see how anybody is going to get any performance advantage from them on a carry gun. R,

My flat top STI Trojan .45 cycles faster then my round top Les Baer .45 WITH the same springs and same ammo.

How much? Well not much but I can tell.

And ammo tuned to give the exact same velocity in each gun? ;)

Edit to add: actually, no two springs are identical, so that's another variable (two really since it's both recoil spring and mainspring that enter into it), and firing pin stop shape, etc, etc.

Edited by G-ManBart

It seems the flat top slide is really so you can have serrations thereby preventing glare from the slide and improving your sight picture.

I have several flat topped guns all with serrations and that is the benefit I notice compared to my non-flat topped guns, just my thoughts.

It's pretty much just a cosmetic thing. If you like the way it looks, it's worth it, but from the performance side it's a non-factor. It does remove a bit of weight, but you can do that other ways if you really want to. R,

I take 0,8 mm of the top for my slides to make them flat top. That is so little that it is just a cosmetic but I like the way it looks. On the other hand if you make open gun it is easier to place/replace the comp if you don't have flat or tri top slide.

Hello: If you have it flat topped it will make it that oh so much lighter for carry :roflol: Really it is for looks. You can bead blast a round top and have it blued or better still Ion Bonded to cut down on glare. Maybe the flat top makes it faster to draw from the holster--that it :cheers: If you like the flat top get it flat topped after all it is your pistol. Thanks, Eric