Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas State Carbine Championship

I will be there. Put my app in the mail today. I will be shooting Reeeel Carrrbeeeennn.

Jack

Well if Murkish can get three more Reeeel Carrrbeeeennn shooters to sign up I'll make a fifth.. If not I'll just show up with my black rifle. :rolleyes:

Hmmm.. I happen to have a Reeeel Carbine. The problem is finding ammo for it...LOL...

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

No PF but there will be some poppers and flashers, dont let your self look foolish. You wont need a beta. Couple of 30s a 40( if you have one) and a 20 or two will cover it. Maybe a empty start or a forced reload but pretty standard stuff.-------------Larry

What time do you think you will be done shooting on Sunday?

I'm trying to do some travel planning. Right now the plan is to possibly fly down Saturday afternoon on Southwest into Houston and drive down to Corpus in a rental car. I could then catch a flight back Sunday night and not have to miss any work Saturday or Monday :).

Crap! I was thinking Corpus was Galveston. I guess that muddies the waters some. Anyhow what time will ya'll finish up?

Edited by jtischauser

I'm trying to do some travel planning. Right now the plan is to possibly fly down Saturday afternoon on Southwest into Houston and drive down to Corpus in a rental car. I could then catch a flight back Sunday night and not have to miss any work Saturday or Monday :).

Crap! I was thinking Corpus was Galveston. I guess that muddies the waters some. Anyhow what time will ya'll finish up?

Hard to say exactly but with open squadding.......

You can't find a flight to Corpus? :surprise: I will pick you up if you fly in here.

Berdan primed but it is in stock. Guess I have been called out and now HAVE to order some.... LOL...

By the way. Real Carbine is limited to 15 rounds in a mag..but you can load high caps (30 rounders) to 15 and use them..... Cheaters will be flogged, drawn and quartered and branded with a scarlet A before the actual punishment for cheating begins. :surprise:

AND ... I think this is the last year that Tactical (scope and iron) will be able to use mags of higher capacity than 30 rounds. My hissy fit had no effect on the MD when I was informed of this..... :devil:

Edited by Merlin Orr

Jesse, I will take your gear for ya.

Everyone else, keep your eyes on the classifieds for around that time for a CTR-02, lightly used, available mid February in south Texas! Cheap! :)

No, really. We can tote your stuff.

M

I'll volunteer (again) to set up the semi-official Saturday Night Pre-Match Dinner. The first two years we ate at the Longhorn Steakhouse Restaurant at 4535 S. Padre Island Drive, in Corpus Christi. Both times, the seating worked out well, the food was good and reasonably priced, and we drew a good BEnos crowd (25-30 hungry shooters). Unless there is a groundswell of opposition, we'll hold the Pre-Match Dinner again at the Longhorn Steakhouse.

Does 1900 (7:00PM) on Saturday work for everyone? Want to accomodate folks traveling in that day, so later may be better. Please post and let me know if you're coming so I can get a good headcount for the Restaurant.

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

In response to a question I received.

If you want to shoot in 2 different classes - No Problem. BUT - 2 entry fees will be required.

Thanks Merlin! After some more thought, I am going to focus on finishing as poorly as I can with one weapon system instead of two...

Does 1900 (7:00PM) on Saturday work for everyone? Want to accomodate folks traveling in that day, so later may be better. Please post and let me know if you're coming so I can get a good headcount for the Restaurant.

Count me in for Dinner.

Is there an unofficial/official match hotel for those traveling in?

Berdan primed but it is in stock. Guess I have been called out and now HAVE to order some.... LOL...

By the way. Real Carbine is limited to 15 rounds in a mag..but you can load high caps (30 rounders) to 15 and use them..... Cheaters will be flogged, drawn and quartered and branded with a scarlet A before the actual punishment for cheating begins. :surprise:

AND ... I think this is the last year that Tactical (scope and iron) will be able to use mags of higher capacity than 30 rounds. My hissy fit had no effect on the MD when I was informed of this..... :devil:

Ok Merlin I just ordered 500 rounds of BVAC for my Carbine. .30 Carbine 110 Gr. FMJ 500 rounds loose. Brass cased, Boxer primed, Copper Jacket, lead core. Manufactured by BVAC. $199.99. So its on.

I can't count so I will get some 15rd mags. Dillon precison has them in stock and they are on the way.

Edited by CocoBolo

So, how welcoming would this be to a fairly new shooter -- I've shot a few IDPA matches, and, I think, 3 or 4 IDPA carbine matches. Would it be better to use my "Reel Carbine" or my AR? I admit, I have the M1 carbine for no real reason, and haven't actually used it much...

shoot a gun you are familiar with and you know works, and you'll enjoy yourself, if you don't then we'll just enjoy watching you!!!!! :roflol: and you won't enjoy much of anything.

the match is a great starter match, I know several new shooters that plan on making it.

Trapr

So, how welcoming would this be to a fairly new shooter -- I've shot a few IDPA matches, and, I think, 3 or 4 IDPA carbine matches. Would it be better to use my "Reel Carbine" or my AR? I admit, I have the M1 carbine for no real reason, and haven't actually used it much...

I first shot this match two years ago and it was my 3rd or 4th Carbine match. It was a fun day, finished 4th of 4 in Carbine Class, loved it. I don't shoot my real Carbine much either but I say shoot it, that is why you have it. You will find that on close targets you will have better hits with the Carbine because the sights are right down close to the bore line, no need for a sling no transitions its all rifle. Do some dry fire practice getting a consistent cheek on the stock and getting the sight picture quickly, won't hurt to do a little reload practice either. Just remember it is not hide and shoot like IDPA, just shoot them as you see them no pie to slice, hit scoring is the same as IDPA.

I'm pretty sure Merlin Orr is going to shoot his, and if you shoot yours we will have at least 5 in the class. So you would have a 1 in 5 chance of pulling off a class win versus 1 in 75 or more with the AR, for a trophy. I like those odds.

I double shot a rifle match a while back with my AR, (EOTech, comp etc) and the M1 carbine. Won both Optic and Iron site class with each and the Carbine was 3 seconds slower in the whole match (87 vs 90 seconds). I'm not that good they tried harder to not win than I did.

We can run the stages together just look for a gun that's not black, it will be one of us with a Carbine.

Hmm. If this is true, I wonder the rationale for this? Since Merlin already tried a hissy fit which had no effect on the match director, I'll just stay home next year...which also won't have any effect on the MD. :roflol:

Curtis

Edited: 'cause I hate typos!

Edited by BayouSlide