Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Replacement

Big Guy

KKM makes a good barrel and I have one in an Open gun, but I'm sold on Schuemann. In all honesty, Mike has generously given me barrels for a while now, but if I was building a gun tomorrow I'd pay to put a Schuemann AET in it if I had to.

I shot about ten 25yd groups with my Open gun two weeks ago and it was simply one round, tight group after another (mostly 10-shot groups) in the 1 to 1.5" range and the limiting factor was really dot size (12moa now) and patience on my part. I was mostly shooting prone and using a Dillon border shift ammo bag as a rest (hadn't really planned on group shooting that day)....not exactly a precision setup. Very round groups with virtually all the holes touching tells me the barrel is doing it's thing and was fit properly when the gun was built. I also think the AET chamber has to help with extraction because running the same spring package and a slightly heavier slide this gun throws empties literally 4-5' farther than my other Open gun!

I always tell anybody who's undecided to call and chat with Mike for a few minutes...talk about information overload, but really good stuff :cheers:

Either is a good choice Mario. I have found that Schuemann barrels need just a little more powder to make the same PF as other barrels. I have a KKM in my Gans gun and it shoots great. My Anglin gun has a Storm Lake and it is as good as the others.

im lucky to get my barrels FREE from Mike as well... if he decides to charge me for barells ill still pay FULL PRICE for them ..they are really that good and their customer service is awesome :cheers::cheers:

Edited by ogiebb

All the compamys listed above produce a good product. Just as or maybe more important is who does the fitting. My choice would be a Schuemann fitted by Benny.-------------Larry

+1 Like Larry said, all make a good product. I had KKM fail in a .40 SS a few years back (built by a local smith), had Benny fit a Schuemann and it has been great. As a matter fact Benny's building me another just like it right now! :D

Edited by Brian Gonsalves

Hello: I have fitted a couple of barrels including some KKM's and Schuemann's. The Schuemann's take less time to fit and shoot great. The next Schuemann I will be fitting is for my Open 9mm project. The finish on the Schuemann barrels is also beautiful :cheers: Thanks, Eric

I have 2 open guns with KKM barrels, they are tack drivers but if you ever have a problem with a KKM barrel (like I have) your most likely on your own. After reading this thread I think I would go for a Schuemann or Briley.

Unfortunately, Briley is out of 1911/ 2011 9mm/38super barrels, they have glock and cz in 9mm. should have some by the end of the year made up.

I have 2 open guns with KKM barrels, they are tack drivers but if you ever have a problem with a KKM barrel (like I have) your most likely on your own. After reading this thread I think I would go for a Schuemann or Briley.

Unfortunately, Briley is out of 1911/ 2011 9mm/38super barrels, they have glock and cz in 9mm. should have some by the end of the year made up.

This isn't a knock on Briley, or the other big companies, but it is one advantage of dealing with Schuemann. Even if they don't have what you want in stock, you can call Mike and unless something really odd is going on, he can probably crank out the exact barrel you're looking for in short order. Granted, I think his wife doesn't appreciate him spending more time in the shop to handle these things, but it is pretty cool :)