Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Toughest Rifle, Pistol, and Shotgun targets

I know this is sort of a wide open question, but I'd like to know everyones thoughts. I'm figuring all of the rifle targets wouldn't be any further than 200 yards with the exception of the hanging clays. Figure those at about 25.

The shotgun targets will be at the standard 10-15y, and the pistol targets are at 10y.

By themselves, none of these are that tough, but put a timer on a guy and things change a lot. Let me know what you think and I'll modify the choices if I need to. Thanks.

Adios,

TG

Well, at our local matches (because we can't run and gun on our 200 yard rifle) we shoot at a clay at 200 yards every other month or so!

That's a pretty wee little target. Our best shooters get it every time though. :angry2:

The thing that I think is hard about paper at 200 (swinger or otherwise) is not that it's so hard to hit, but that you don't know whether you are hitting it or not!

I have to agree that any of the targets get harder with contorted or odd positions through tight ports. We shot at full size IPSC at HPPS with slugs and buckshot, but that evil guy made us shoot off shouldered through a skinny port, and those were really hard. It's not so much the targets, but what you're doing while you're shooting at them!

But, it does make you think!

I do not like the whirly gig,

I would not, could not, in a box.

I could not, would not, with a fox.

I will not shoot it in a house.

I will not shoot it with a mouse.

I will not shoot it here or there.

I will not shoot it anywhere.

:) I'm over-reacting a little. I shot the whirly gig at A6, and while it was a bit of a nuisance, I didn't leave any clays on it.

Denise, are very many iron sight shooters hitting those at 200? I'm not saying I couldn't, but I might time out every once in a while. :)

Edited by Bryan 45

Is this just for Ironman stuff?

No other match I've been too uses the cursed double spinner!

Pistol = double spinner!!

It's not just for the Ironman. I just figured I'd make a list of the hardest targets I've ever had to shoot.....and that was the list I came up with ;)

Adios,

TG

RIFLE: I'd have to agree with the CHF. Wiggums!!! anything that cannot clearly be seen with the naked eye. plus hanging clays because you may not break it just poke a hole.

PISTOL: 4" pesky poppers on a plate rack are pretty tough, as is a Star beyond 25yds.

SHOTGUN: static clays at 20yds or 12 plates at 100, plus anything with a tight no shoot.

Trapr

We've got a couple who hit it, but we do limited rounds on that stage, so if you don't hit it in a few, you usually go on! We've got a number of scoped shooters who don't hit it either. I may have missed it myself a couple times. But the joy when you walk down there and see that it didn't break, but there's a sweet little hole in there....

We've got one guy who hit it irons, but can't seem to hit it with his scope!!! :roflol: Go figure!

We also shoot them at 50 yards with rifle sometimes, too and that is a lot more successful!!!!!!

The position the shooter must engage them from + target distance + how small is the target + speed of target or shooter movement + fatigue by that point in the stage = level of challenge

Here are some of the most challenging shooting problems I can remember:

1) Skinny Sammies at 100 yards from a free swinging platform that moves more the more you shoot. That was more luck than skill to hit those.

2) Precision Rifle Target at 100 yards opening and closing both eyes and chest with rifle, or the same with pistol at 15-20 yards.

3) Double spinner at long range (250-300) with rifle

4) Shooting through that steel donut that counted as a no-shoot on Ironman stage 1 for a couple year.

The hardest challenge at a local match recently was roll over prone shooting through a V-tac barricade at a target UP-hill. The target was probably 18" at least, but it was tough. Using a limited eye relief optic made it about impossible.

The Triple Dropper is my favorite target that MGM makes; it requires solid hit and the number of rounds it takes to neutralize can be dependent on shot placement and the power of the cartridge being used on it. I really like using those for self-defense training classes because of these things, and it conditions the student to keep shooting until "the threat is gone".

Edited by SinistralRifleman

No other match I've been too uses the cursed double spinner!

Pistol = double spinner!!

The targets for rifle/shotgun, they all seem fine. Like others have mentioned it might be more of a combination of contrast, and being able to see it.

Travis.. ease it back a little on these next year!

Shotgun - no problem

Rifle no problem..

Pistol - just sucks!

After the MS 3 Gun & the Memphis Charity Challenge, I am surprised no one has mentioned the Polish Plate Rack

another thread with video

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

I was trying to put my memory of the Polish Plate Rack at the Memphis Charity Challenge behind me. <_< .........But thanks for dredging up that painful moment in my personal history. :blush: