Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STS vs Jpoint

BLUTO

Maybe this should be "frame vs slide mount" - either way I picked up a 2011 worked up by Bedell and it came with an open setup as well as limited. The JPoint on it is pretty rough and the dot is impossibly small so a change is needed.

Id rather have a "normal" C-More mounted but doing that it takes away the ability to change out slide setups.

Im minutes away from ordering a STS with 7 MOA and having it "melted" in to the open top.

Thoughts, suggestions..................

Edited by domfort

Quinn and C-More.

I have both sitting here but if I go that route I cant swap out to the limited setup without taking the mount off. I would think that would be more trouble than its worth right?

Maybe this should be "frame vs slide mount" - either way I picked up a 2011 worked up by Bedell and it came with an open setup as well as limited. The JPoint on it is pretty rough and the dot is impossibly small so a change is needed.

Id rather have a "normal" C-More mounted but doing that it takes away the ability to change out slide setups.

Im minutes away from ordering a STS with 7 MOA and having it "melted" in to the open top.

Thoughts, suggestions..................

I just ordered a C-More STS and will install it on my open gun with an Arredondo mount. My reason to go this route are from talking with other shooters with a slide mounted sight whether it's a JPoint, Doctor or STS, it will eventually be batter to death and/or make the sight unreliable - with the high cost of each of these sights having to replace or repair these sights constantly is not an option. Plus, the Arredondo mount will position the STS sight as low as possible to the barrel without having it mounted on the slide.

Quinn and C-More.

I have both sitting here but if I go that route I cant swap out to the limited setup without taking the mount off. I would think that would be more trouble than its worth right?

Just a few screws and a couple of rounds to confirm zero.

Just a few screws and a couple of rounds to confirm zero.

Without sounding too stupid, is that something that's done? Pulling the mount and replacing it often?

Edited by domfort

No most folks use Red Loctite on the C-More mount screws. If you don't there is a good chance it will fall off during a major match and could get lose even in a normal 150 rd match. Grips screws also back out. Open guns just take a beating. On a limited gun nothing seems to come lose.

• 4 weeks later...

Kind of late on the reply, but I use a Burris fast fire on my open 38 super and it works great. Over 10,000 rounds through it and not a single problem. Had to locktight the screws in with red, the blue would work itself out, but holds zero great. I just use the 20 dollar burris dovetail mount and did not have to do anything to my slide, which had a commander rear sight prior with a Leupold red dot on a frame mount. Even with the stock burris mount, the sight is nice a low to the slide, only 1 or 2CM higher than standard limited sights. I took no time at all adjusting. Even when I took the sight off to change batteries, I had previously locktighted the dovetail mount, so it was very minimal re zero after reinstall. The only thing I will say about slide mounted optics is more muzzle flip and slower slide due to the weight on the back, but I went to a slightly faster powder to make the slide snappier and just got used to the flip. The dot still stays in the screen. Only when I was using 3N38 was it jumping out of the window.

That's what I thought. I'm pretty sure Ill just suck it up and do the STS route so I don't end up having to buy another frame.

Just buy another frame and do two different guns. I would do that. It will cost more but it is better in the long run.

I put a Jpoint on my 34 to make a cheap open gun using a dovetail slide mount. Dot became unreliable after less than 100 rounds. Swithched to a Burris Fast Fire and the sight works fine but the mount kept coming loose even with red locktite. Finally drilled and tapped a third screw in the front of the mount and has been solid ever since.

I checked out a friends STS last week and I really like the 7 MOA dot. I will be giving that a try as soon as I can find $300 laying around the house.

Doug

I had a Burris Fast Fire on an Open Glock but after losing a mounting screw twice and not being able to get replacements from the company or any where else it is in the junk box. Interested in how the STS holds because I hate to have to remove the whole red dot just to change batteries.

So how does the STS stack up against the reg C more? Can you find the dot as easy? Is it bright enough?

The dot is bright enough, although the screen is smaller than the JPoint, if your index is on, you are good to go, if its off, then its harder to find. I started with a C-more, went to a Jpoint, then doubled up on the Jpoint batteries, then to a STS and just recently went back to the C-more, but on a 90* mount. But will probably go to a standard mount since my thumbs hit the 90* mount. I was never completely happy with the small sights. The STS will probably go in a rifle or shotgun