Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Hot Tub Recommendations?

We are finally to the point of getting a hot tub probably sometime next summer. What hot tubs are you all using? I want high quality and reliability more than anything. Not interested in built in TV, etc.

I understand there is at least one make that does not use chemicals? Is that correct?

Anyway, what do you recommend? Thanks

We have a built in one. Came with the house. It actually is pretty good. Small is better. If you drain it after use, it does not require chemicals. Lots of neighbors have big party ones-almost all are maintained by a pool company. I love mine- injury maintenance, I get cold really easily, etc.. I recommend them if it is not going to kill your time with maintenance. You know, turn it on, get your suit on (or not), get in. 30 minutes-out. Just make sure it has really good jets and bubbles.

Per the local sales rep, a good hot tub will last about 5 years. That's not to say it will breakdown and need to be replaced in 5 years, but by that time you may start to have a few problems and compared to a newer one, it will be more costly in terms of electricity.

We have a 12 year old "Jacuzzi" brand tub that handles 4 seated plus two more laying down (approx 550 gallons). The only repairs to date has been replacing the cover (lasts about 5 years) and the red wood panels (lasted just over 10 years). Some of the newer units use plastic instead of wood.

For chemicals, we have found that the bromide systems works the best for us. In the heat of the summer the chlorine systems need more supervision. With bromide we can leave town for a month and after a 10 monute check of chemical levels, the hot tub is ready for a quick dip when we return. Unless you plan on draining and refilling your tub weekly, chemicals to maintain the system are a necessity.

Apart from the electronics, there is not much to go really wrong on a hot tub so if you can get a good deal on a used one and can spend a little time working it over, that may be the way to go. It may use a little more KWH's than a new one but your initial savings might be enough to cover several years of extra electricity.

Bill

I understand there is at least one make that does not use chemicals? Is that correct?

I think you can get an O3 (? ozonator) system. I recall it was an option on the tub we had.

We ran bromide tablets and put them in a floating distributor.

Every so often you'd give the tub a "shock" treatment.

It's not that big a deal to keep one maintained. The biggest thing was the soap bubbles...seems like they came from residual laundry soap left over from peoples clothes.

Most important, IMO, is the electric your run it on. IIRC, we ran a dedicated 50-60amp circuit, which meant we had to upgrade the main box in the house as well.

I like foot jets. I didn't see a need for the lounge chairs (they kill seating capacity, if that is a factor). Figure out what fits you.

Some tubs built cheap and not insulated well at all. Others lack power...make sure your heater can run while all your jets are on.

You have to have somewhere to put it. It will be heavy. You need room around it. I poured a concrete slab, and we had a brick patio around that.

I think you can get an O3 (? ozonator) system. I recall it was an option on the tub we had.

The biggest thing was the soap bubbles...seems like they came from residual laundry soap left over from peoples clothes.

They may have improved the ozone generators through the years (we bought out hot tub around 1997) but the one with our tub was not sufficient. Still needed to treat with bromide.

Initially we also had problem with bubbles and it was diagnosed as all those sweaty hot bodies that kept climbing into the tub. The oil on your skin could build up and cause foaming. Could not be laundry soap since swimwear was not optional, more like banned. (At least in my dreams!) Kept a little residual defoamer in the system and it works fine. We also had to treat for the hard water so that all the other chemicals would work.

Find a local pool and spa center that sells chemicals. They will test your tap water to see just what you need to add for the initial opening of your spa. After that its just weekly maintenance. During times of peak use (say a non stop three day weekend party) you may need to check the chemicals a little more often.

My PA indicated she had seen some nasty ear and eye infections from improperly treated hot tubs so that always made me to err on the side of caution.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I have two slipped disks in my neck and so the hot tub became a critical part of my life. We literally went and tested at least a dozen over a month and decided on a Sundance Optima and it was far and away the best for me. I was in it every night and can't recommend it enough. When we moved I begrudging left my precious spa since the new house had a built in one but the build in is like a warm bath and the Sundance was like getting a full body massage every night. And the main reason that one was so good is it fit me and was the only one that would get powerful jets on my neck so I suggest you go try them but that's a good place to start!

Good luck!

John

It's not that big a deal to keep one maintained. The biggest thing was the soap bubbles...seems like they came from residual laundry soap left over from peoples clothes.

:roflol::roflol:

Laundry soap !! Thats what I always thought too, but then I watched the kids one day and the bubbles

would suddenly flair up, then subside, then 45 min later flair up again. I finally grabbed one of them asked,

"did you just pee in the tub" no answer, I asked again " tell me now" uhh ohhh ya I did !! I knew it !!:roflol:

I know someone who sells Softub as well as standard tubs. He says that the big advantage to the Softub is that they are very cost efficient. Low initial cost, easy to transport and setup, easy to move, low operation cost, and they last. Despite that, he still mainly sells the standard tubs because the Softubs don't have all the wizbang features the others do so they aren't as "sexy".

I had a TigerSpa for over 10 years, moved it 3 times. 350 gallons, sat 6. it was as godsend. I also had to replace the top and sides after 6 years in the texas sun, but the guts never wore out.

what to look for

Get the highest rated heater and pump you can afford

make sure there is lots of insulation, or your wallet will regret it.

go with the 240 on a separate breaker or you will get cold.

be mindful of small critters, who seek out water, I had a rat problem that eventually cost me my tub.

Bromine is good, the ozonator is a scam.

Keep it at a steady temperature and your electric bill will only go up about 10-15 bucks a month.

Keep the filters clean, even going au natural releases lots of oils, and dirt, they get dirty quickly, and are not cheap to replace.