Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol Grip Vis A Vie Straight Stock

UNKNOWN SHOOTER

Tactical, defensive, and practical/competition guns are sometimes different.

The standard reply is to look at the big dawgs. They do not use pistol grip stocks. Oh wait, that is the same as your friend's tactical course suggested. :)

For me, it is easier to control the pistol grip stock with full power loads, at least on the guns I tried. But I heard the "standard reply" above and never put one on my shotgun. ;) And not many shooters shoot max shotgun loads in matches :lol:

Basically, the PG stock kept my thumb and thumb knuckle from punching me in the face while shooting. But correct technique solves this as well. Right now I shoot a Mossberg 590, and the PG stock does not work as well with the Mossberg safety (on top of the receiver).

I am sure more wisdom will follow....

Lee

that depends on you ,the gun and what its for.

i shoot IPSC with an m1s90 without a PG and get on fine now that the stock is extended,i have tried PG guns and find it gets in the way when loading from the belt, if you are using speedloaders you may find that if you channel the PG at the base it acts as an extra guide for the tube and so helps, . more info with your post would help.james

I've always used the M1S90 with the factory pistol grip stock, no problem with weak hand loading there, until I learned to keep the gun shouldered while loading, ala Kurt Miller style, then the pistol grip became a nuissance. Out went the "work of the devil" and In with the standard "gentlemen" stock.

My Open shotgun and my duty gun both have pistol grips. The front of the Open PG is channeled for speed loaders. Works like a charm. On the duty gun it makes a one handed grip a lot easier for those situations that you need the other hand for radio contact, etc. I've heard the debate go back and forth and it seems to come down to opinions rather than any hard test data.

Chriss:

No offence, but if you need a shotgun in your hands, you don't need to be talking on the radio. Someone armed a little lighter than your self should handle coms or talk to them latter.As for the opinion part....well you are right on!!, but I still say old Satan was behind the SG pistol grip!! I use to watch alot of guys in South America try to wield those guns through the brush and came to the conclution that pistol grips aren't for serious use. In my opinion. KURT

Taran is the golden boy, no doubt!! But when it comes to pure shotgun, I don't think you could say he kicks "everyonesA**". He did at the nnationals, I guess, but a lot of good shotgunners didn't shoot there. In my opinion, Taran does well because of weak hand loading, not pistol grip stocks. At the world championships NONE of the top 10 even had a pistol grip stock. 11th Mike45 had one, but it is a tribute to his skill, not his configuration, that decided his place. To say Taran "kicks everyones A**" because of the pistoil grip is akin to saying that day he wore a red shirt instead of blue. The reason the big T does so well is the BIG P....not pisol grip.... PRACTICE. Good jopb Taran! KURT

I have used both PG and straight stocks in competition over the years and have settled on the straight stock. As others have noted I used to notch the bottom of the PS as a guide for the speed loaders. However the PG can get in the way and I shoot the straight stock just as well soooooo.

Someone mentioned law enforcement shotgun work. All of our units are equipted with both a Mini-14 and a shotgun and both are equipted with straight stocks. I prefer the straight stock for the same reason in LE work as I do in competition. The PG can hang up on things and get in the way.

Someone mentioned you should never use a shotgun and a radio at the same time........... In my agency we run single officer units and in some areas back up can be 20-30 minutes away. And since some things can't wait, using a shotgun and working the radio at the same time is a necessary skill. At least if you plan on retiring some day.

At the world championships NONE of the top 10 even had a pistol grip stock. 11th Mike45 had one, but it is a tribute to his skill, not his configuration, that decided his place.

Kurt,

I have to say that I'm delighted by the consideration you have for the European Shotgun Championship (even if we had some minor :D flaws in the awards ceremony :rolleyes: ): to compare that match to a World Shoot is one of the greatest compliments we could ever receive!

Thanks. :wub:

Anyway, for the rest of you, Kurt is talking about the 1st sanctioned level IV shotgun match ever held in Europe. ;)

Hi

I normally shoot a straight stock Remy 1187 for practical (as we call it in the UK), but went over to 'limited' pump for the European Championships this year. My gun was an 870 with a pistol grip, but half way through the year I took the p/grip off and put a straight stock on, and never looked back.

I found that with all the 'spinning' of the gun for the reloads the pistol grip just got in the way, and as I find no other advantage to the pistol grip thats enough to put me off. I actually do less spinning since I came back having picked up other ways of doing the same thing (Thanks Kurt!!) but have kept the straight stock.

At work (Police) our shoulder weapons are mainly the H&K family which are all pistol grip, but as with them it is just 'mag out, mag in' I don't even notice. Our shotguns are only used for 'doors and dogs' with other roles covered by rifle/carbines.

Kurt, you're right, when 'push comes to shove' you need both hands and all your concentration for the threat, however (thank the lord) that happens very infrequently and there are plenty of times and needs to do both!

Cheers

Skywalker67:

OOPS! Yea I did mean the level 4 match, European championship. I am still fighting the good fight, tring to get you a subscription to Front Sight magazine with out having to pay for a full membership, but the wheels turn slow.

Trojan:

Glad to see you finally chimed in, welcome to the forums! Dogs and doors??? Breaching rounds work well on cats and pigeons as well. I am amazed that the SPCA allowes you the use on dogs, or do they know yet?

Back to the topic at hand. I finally saw a great use for a pistol grip on a shotgun. I was watching a cheep o, made for teevee movie. The heerow with a Mosberg nickled 500 w/ obigatory P.G. came to a tall cyclone fence. He reached up and snaged the top with the pistol grip and just climbed up using "ol Betsy" as a grapling pole. I was hoping for an AD but no such luck. I would like to point out that this entire post is ment in humor, and I know Trojan. I hope he sees my brand of humor in my reply to him

You guys scare me.

Shooting cats with breaching rounds !!! Miller you aint welcome at my gaff, turn up and I will set the mogs on you.

Well back to the PG subject. I know some love them and some hate them, and I must admit up to a few weeks ago I loved them. If it didnt have a PG I wasnt really interested, or I simply made another PG stock fit using the trusty old dremmel. (if anyone wants a PG for the SX2 or Browning gold the Speedfeed IV fits with minor modifications !!).

I am now going through the side saddle phase of my desperate attempts to get an advantage and the straight stock suits a saddle much more than a PG when I use a slide type loading method. I have not used a straight stock for 3 years but I shot in a comp two weeks ago with a straight stock and scraped a second place and now I really dont know :wacko:

PG's do look cool though ! and as wise old Trojan has told me numerous times over the 12 years that I have known him ..... IMAGE IS EVERYTHING :ph34r:

PG's do look cool though ! and as wise old Trojan has told me numerous times over the 12 years that I have known him ..... IMAGE IS EVERYTHING :ph34r:

Somebody finally gets it!

It doesn't matter how well you shoot or if you have fun. What matters is that you LOOK GOOD while you're doing it!

Mike45:

I notice you didn't seem to mind the Pigeon idea! Ah a feline lover!! Dogs don't seem to bother you either!!.....But do you draw the line at doors??? They don't bark or slobber, they don't meow all night and scratch up the furniture, they just hang around. Seems using a shotgun on them for loitering is a bit harsh.....but when in the UK do as the UKies do!

Oki-land is Oklahoma in the U.S.

I can't imagine anyone looking better than pro sporting clays shooters with the cool vests and shirts and hats. I take a tip from them and use straight stock shotguns. None of them use a PG for SC! and they look great! KURT

No PG in sporting clays? Don't know where you shoot but I only know one shooter who doesn't have a PG on his clays gun. Unless you are trying to make a 5.5 lb 12 ga clays gun, IMO they should all have one, for clays. I see the advantage in 3 gun, without it.

Mike.45

OK mate, if image is everything, whats that plastic garden shed on wheels you pull around all the shoots with your ammo and screwdrivers in?

On a more serious note, does anybody have any thoughts on the lenght of a stock (straight or PG), should it be short for manoeuvrability or the right length for better mounting and cheek weld?

Cheers

Ps who/what/where is an Oklahoma?

PPs how do you put these smilies things on your posts?

Tecnophobe :D

get your sons to show you how <_<

and when I am storming a Beach-head I will carry an army burgen, but untill then I will stick to my garden shed on wheels. :ph34r:

Forget correct length stocks, you aint shooting 1 MOA at 300 yds, the shorter the faster into the shoulder. I have removed the rubber pads off all my stocks and now use those cheap thin rubber over slips. I want to know how Kurt moulded his rubber pad for his chopped down stock cos it looks factory made and everyone I have tried to 'adjust' looks as though an idiot has attacked it with a knife......umm OK.

...... and frosted glass doors deserve everything they get.