Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Production Division Aftermarket grips

KennyW

I believe those are considered to change the profile hence an illegal mod.

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2009_Production...s_Revisions.pdf

21.5 Grips

For semi-automatic Production guns, grip

tape, grip sleeves, checkering, stippling or

other texture may only be applied in the

areas shown in appendix E4. Glue and grit

is considered the same as stippling.

Replacement grip panels are allowed

provided they do not extend below the butt

of the gun to form a make-shift magwell.

Revolver grips may be replaced with OEM

or aftermarket grips of any shape, profile

and surface texture.

Special Notes/Clarifications:

See 22.4, below, for specifics with

regard to modifications on revolver grips.

-------------

22.4 Grips – any addition or

removal of material which

changes the factory profile

or adds function such as

beavertail or thumb rest.

As noted above (21.5) Revolver grips may

be replaced with OEM or aftermarket grips

of any shape, profile and surface texture.

22.4 is deemed to NOT APPLY to

REVOLVER grips. Adding or removing

material to change the profile of Revolver

grips is ALLOWED.

-rvb

Ya made me go look, so why does this statement make them illegal:

"Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell." The next sentenance deals with something completely different.

Ya made me go look, so why does this statement make them illegal:

"Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell." The next sentenance deals with something completely different.

I don't believe that rule applies here. I think this is the issue.

Grips – any addition or

removal of material which

changes the factory profile

The factory front strap on the CZs are flat w/o finger grooves.

Later,

Chuck

Case of having two rules that contradict each other. One says duplicate factory, other says Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell.

Time to get the board back together and see which part of which rule is applicable.

Case of having two rules that contradict each other. One says duplicate factory, other says Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell.

Time to get the board back together and see which part of which rule is applicable.

I don't think those contradict each other --- since we have the duplicate factory language, the other probably wasn't necessary......

.....except for the case of a factory later producing aftermarket grips that extend below the frame forming a mag well. Such a blaster wouldn't get approved in the first place, but if someone tried to backdoor it, well there's language preventing it from being legal....

I have had them on my CZ for 6 yrs now and not 1 RO/CRO has ever told me anything about them being illegal. I guess I need to email headquarters to get a ruling. I have seen many other shooters using this same grip.

I have had them on my CZ for 6 yrs now and not 1 RO/CRO has ever told me anything about them being illegal. I guess I need to email headquarters to get a ruling. I have seen many other shooters using this same grip.

Based on this discussion, that could change now that we know what to look for :devil: Not every CRO/RO is aware of all the nuances of the Production rules, including the latest clarifications. Those of us that shoot Production are more aware, but we're not always up on the details of every model of every manufacturer's gun.

Please share the results of your correspondence. Based strictly on the rule book language, they would appear to be illegal. If not, a written ruling from John Amidon to the contrary would be a good addition to your range bag to avoid being unwillingly bumped into Open for a grip sleeve. FWIW, people have been bumped to Open at the Nationals IIRC, for a bit of grip tape on the slide, another no-no.

Curtis

Alright here is the down and dirty as you requested, direct from John Amidon.

Hi Todd,

The rules that were quoted are correct, they did not however give all the language to make it clearer.

Here is the actual language of 22:

22 Specifically prohibited modifications and features Please note that the absence of an item in the list of prohibited modifications MAY

NOT be construed to mean a modification is allowed. A modification is only allowed in

Production Division if there is a rules clause or interpretation which specifically declares

that it is allowed in the Division.

22.4 Grips – any addition or removal of material which As noted above (21.5) Revolver grips may be replaced with OEM or aftermarket grips

changes the factory profile or adds function such as of any shape, profile and surface texture. 22.4 is deemed to NOT APPLY to

beavertail or thumb rest. REVOLVER grips. Adding or removing material to change the profile of Revolver

grips is ALLOWED.

The short answer to your question, no, these grips would not be legal as it changes the factory profile. These can be found on the following link http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2009_Production...s_Revisions.pdf.

Regards,

John Amidon

All that said and determined, I'll just add that I actually think it's a shame...

trigger work, replacement barrels and slides, sights, etc can all be changed, but such a simple thing is not allowed... and it's such a common mod for non-competitors that I'd hate to see someone new to the game feel turned away over a $14 set of grips...

but I understand the slippery slope that has to be avoided. So I support the rule.

... I just wish there could be a way to allow 'em for the sake of attracting... and KEEPING... new shooters who bring their nightstand gun to the matches.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

LAME!

This exact thing bumped me to open at Area 1.

When I started shooting USPSA it was explained to me that production was for guns that a PO or Mil person would actually carry on duty. Yet there are glocks that are so far from that its silly. Yet I can't put hogue grips on my gun - which are very popular with POs.

Note grip sleeves are allowed, yet they often have finger grooves.

LAME!

This exact thing bumped me to open at Area 1.

When I started shooting USPSA it was explained to me that production was for guns that a PO or Mil person would actually carry on duty. Yet there are glocks that are so far from that its silly. Yet I can't put hogue grips on my gun - which are very popular with POs.

Note grip sleeves are allowed, yet they often have finger grooves.

Sights... Grips... Maybe you should just shoot open 'Jed. Less stress.

When I started shooting USPSA it was explained to me that production was for guns that a PO or Mil person would actually carry on duty.

I took a look through the BOD minutes to see "why" production was created according to the administration at the time. I found these 2 nuggets:

22 Jan 2000 BOD Minutes

"The purpose of production division is to open USPSA to new shooters, manufacturers and sponsors."

7 Mar 2009

"In 2000, the Production Division was created to be a division for stock pistols with very limited modifications allowed"

These are the only two statements that explain the intent of the Production division in the USPSA archives. I may of missed something since I did not go through all the files but unless you find it there, everything else is folklore. I think the folks are doing a pretty good job meeting these criteria. And that comes from a guy who had to put that ^@(# FPB back in my SP-01. ;)

PAX,

Chuck

"Production Division was created to be a division for stock pistols with very limited modifications allowed"

I think most of us would consider finger groove grips to be a minor modification, and most of us would consider the high end trigger jobs we see in production to not be a 'limited modification'.

And I have put my FPB back in as well, yet I've never seen that checked.

Edited by ManNamedJed

These Hogue grips were a factory issued grip on "CZ 75 Champion", so as such, I believe they are a factory option as are Cocobolo, plastic, rubber, aluminium etc.

Personally, they feel great, but look like crap.

Cheers, Ando.

These Hogue grips were a factory issued grip on "CZ 75 Champion", so as such, I believe they are a factory option as are Cocobolo, plastic, rubber, aluminium etc.

Personally, they feel great, but look like crap.

Cheers, Ando.

Yes but the Champion is a comped single action gun. It has to be a factory option on a production legal gun.

• 2 months later...

I know this is a little off topic, but just want to be clear. The factory wrap around panels with finger grooves are not legal, but Houge slip on grip sleeves are legal?

I shoot a G34 with a slip on houge that has the finger grooves.

Thanks