Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Negativity

BigDave

What do any of you use for keeping negativity at bay witout becoming apathetic or simply having an IDGAF (i dont give a f***) attitude?

I know it is impossible to be happy at all times, and there is an ebb and flow to things.

BigDave,

Recognizing it is the first step. How can you "fix" or redirect somethng that you don't conciously realize?

Here's an example of what happened to me this weekend. I went out and practiced friday, and although things went pretty well I was not totally happy. I tinkered for a few hours on my gun, changing the hammer, mainspring, mainspring housing, recoil spring and guide rod. I had gotten about 4 or 5 light hits while practicing and did not know for certain why. So the first stage Sat. all this negative stuff started racing through my head. Will the gun work, did I fit everything right, what recoild spring did I go too..etc. Just a bunch of BS. I basically told my mind to STOP, and that I would except whatever happened and deal with it as it came, otherwise I was going to just shoot what I saw. Gun worked perfect all day Sat and all day Sun. Off course it's sitting on my bench in pieces, don't ask, that's for another post.

What do any of you use for keeping negativity at bay witout becoming apathetic or simply having an IDGAF (i dont give a f***) attitude?

I know it is impossible to be happy at all times, and there is an ebb and flow to things.

Dude!

Are you talking about shooting, or life in general?

Don't ever confuse negativity with a "critical" approach to shooting. There is nothing wrong with being critical of your performance as long as it doesn't turn into negativity or self imposed limitations. Indeed, most folks who are highly competitive will blow off a little steam when they screw up. Just be sure to get over it before you fire the next round.

Don't ever go to the line with a thought like gee this course is tough, or I need to go prone and I suck. Instead, think in terms like there isn't a shot I can't make and my time will be good enough.

Guest Larry Cazes

In Life, In General: I regularly take stock of all of the things I have for which I am grateful. For example......My Wife, My Health, My friends, Etc. I have been out of work for 7 months now but that is really a very small thing and it too shall pass.

In shooting: All I have to do is remind myself of those friends of mine that for whatever reason cannot or will not participate in this sport and I don't mind that I am not a master class shooter! Just being part of this sport and having some time to work on getting better is enough for me.

This may sound cliche but remember that there is always someone who is less fortunate than you. Hang in there.......

Larry

Life in general (which includes shooting), not shooting specifically.

Several months ago I was doing fine with this very thing; not worrying about things I can't control, and having an overall positive outlook. Then, I had a verbal altercation with an interim superior and things have gone to pot since then.

I know it comes down to a decision. Its my choice how I react to everything. I am responsible. In getting back there, I don't want to ignore the negativity. I'm afraid that if I do, it will seem as though in some situations I don't care, when I actually should and do. Does this make sense?

There IS an ebb and flow to things, yes, but it IS a conscious decision we make (every day, actually) to master it or let it master us. I, myself, kinda fancy being the master, and am even willing to take responsibility for those days when it's just a little harder to be "professional (a warrior)" than other days. Because every day that I take control (even on the bad days) I'm actually moving forward. If I let the bad days take away my right to mastery, however, I've slipped back and have to climb up out of the weirdness again. Jeez, and how I so hate wasting my own time on climbing out of the weirdness anymore!

Shooting and Life...? Same mental stuff. Buy one "Warrior/Professional Mentality Kit" and apply it to both. Good stuff. B)

I completely agree with Flex on this one. I've found that when someone is being a thorn in my side, it's easier to walk away, complain about it to a few friends, than to do what comes naturally. Self-mastery comes from striving to do things that we think we can't, and not doing things we know we shouldn't. Simple as that.

KS

I know it comes down to a decision. Its my choice how I react to everything. I am responsible. In getting back there, I don't want to ignore the negativity. I'm afraid that if I do, it will seem as though in some situations I don't care, when I actually should and do. Does this make sense?

It does. I feel it and see it in others as the question, basically - When should I ignore my feelings and just let things go, or when should I take a stand? Of course there is no answer. But personally, I've found that whenever my action or reaction is emotionally charged, eventually, maybe tomorrow, next week, or years later, I'll realize it was a mistake. I suffer for it. I've also realized that almost every time I react from a personal or ego bias, I'm not only in some way defending some view, but the action/reaction itself has little more significance than just habit. It's a lesson that keeps penetrating deeper and deeper.

Does this make sense?

And in discovering this I've also realized that what is required to (what is normally called) "change" is more akin to simply breaking a habit. This is not to imply that it's easy - to disregard one's self requires tremendous attention.

be

Yes, it does make sense.

I think what concerns me (there's an understatement) is that, almost to the instant of the occurance, I knew exactly what I was doing. I think the thought that I have decided to allow this to effect me negatively pisses me off more than how I reacted to the altercation itself. And it seems to be self-perpetuating. I don't mean to get over-philosophical here, but its nearly as if I'm a spectator and I'm watching the events unfold before my own eyes and I'm powerless to do anything about it, but paradoxically (if that is even a word) I know I can do something. That is what really is pissing me off. Goddamn ego.

Its almost like the Falling Plate even in action pistol when I know I don't have a good shot but pull the damn trigger anyway.

Thank you all for your insight, it is helping.

One of my informal (but extremely valuable) de facto coaches recently said, "If you don't like the sight picture you're seeing, wait until you DO before you squeeze the trigger." That extra split-second of mastery and control will certainly improve your score... and improve your patience to accept nothing less than your highest standard of performance. And keep you from being ticked off. B)

BD,

I can't even imagine the stress level you are experiencing via what you do. Wait a minute, I used to go on six month long cruises with the US Navy, maybe I do have at least a clue.

Give yourself a break, rise above the petty crap, you know you are better so let it slide. I know it's hard, let it slide anyway. If you can keep your cool it will pass and then you will be back in the drivers seat.

You are going to flip when you get back. Atlanta is unbelievable. And so close to home. We've got a cool new shooter to practice with us too.

We are your friends and we are still here.

See you soon,

Tom Bergman

One of my informal (but extremely valuable) de facto coaches recently said, "If you don't like the sight picture you're seeing, wait until you DO before you squeeze the trigger." That extra split-second of mastery and control will certainly improve your score... and improve your patience to accept nothing less than your highest standard of performance. And keep you from being ticked off. B)

The flip side of that is that some people keep waiting and waiting for a "perfect" sight picture that never comes. Then they will inevitably miss while trying to hold the gun absolutely still.

I saw a lot of this in a Louis Awerbuck class last August. Waiting too long is as bad if not worse than not waiting long enough!