Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Meaningless phrases

38supPat

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe no one has thought of this one.......the wanna-be gangsta that ends every sentence with " You know what I'm sayin' ???".

I was testifying in court one time against one of these guys, and the Prosecutor asked him if he could refrain from using that phrase in every sentence he spoke !!!! It was hillarious !!!!

Edited by STInky

Is today the 22nd?

yep....all day long.

Edit to add:

I wouldn't do that if I were you.

In my experience.....

That's just how I've always done it.

She means well.....

He's not an a-hole, he's just misunderstood. You just need to get to know him first.

Chillax.

My bad.

I'm sorry. It'll never happen again.

Figuratively speaking of course.

You can count on it.

I'd bet you money.....

I'm so hungry I could eat a horse.

I have to piss like a race horse.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

"I was gonna say..."

As in a response to what someone else said to add into the conversation.

I was gonna say that I hate it when people use "Irregardless" when used to convey "besides the facts".

If you were "gonna say" it anyway then just say it. Don't tell me that you were gonna say it and still say it. You missed your chance cuz someone else said it.

Edited by Shawn Knight

I can't believe no one has thought of this one.......the wanna-be gangsta that ends every sentence with " You know what I'm sayin' ???".

I was testifying in court one time against one of these guys, and the Prosecutor asked him if he could refrain from using that phrase in every sentence he spoke !!!! It was hillarious !!!!

STInky, get your pronunciation correct. It is knowwhatamsayin'?. Watching Ultimate Fighter and listening to the enlightning Kimbo Slice conversations has made me hate knowwhatamsayin'? even more. :angry:

There are lots of good ones in Strunk and White's "The Elements of Style."

One of my favorites is "hopefully". Strunk's explanation -

"This once-useful adverb meaning "with hope" has been distorted and is now widely used to mean "I hope" or "it is to be hoped." Such use is not merely wring, it is silly. To say, "Hopefully I'll leave on the noon plane" is to talk nonsense. Do you mean you'll leave on the noon plane in a hopeful frame of mind? Or do you mean you hope you'll leave on the noon plane? Whichever you mean, you haven't said it clearly. Although the word in its new, free-floating capacity maybe be pleasurable and even useful to many, it offends the ear of many others, who do not like to see words dulled or eroded, particularly when the erosion leads to ambiguity, softness, or nonsense."

:)

Of all the words listed i the "Misused Wors and Expressions" section, looks like he definitely hated hopefully the most.

What a fun thread.

be

Another good one...

"The truth is. ... The fact is"

"A bad beginning for a sentence. If you feel you are possessed of the truth, or the fact of it, simply state it. Do not give advance billing."

If you have "The Elements of Style" and haven't skimmed it lately, check it out. It's so fun to read.

be

Both "knowwhatamsayin" and "have a good one" drive me into "Grrrrr...!" mode for real. They've GOT to be two of the lamest, stupidest verbal crutches going. :angry2:

But whenever someone sez to me, "Have a nice day!" I say, "I'm workin' on it!" and I inevitably get the deer-in-the-headlights look. Don't people have any imagination??!?!?!! <_<

But whenever someone sez to me, "Have a nice day!" I say, "I'm workin' on it!" and I inevitably get the deer-in-the-headlights look. Don't people have any imagination??!?!?!! <_<

I use "Have a good one" but have been trying to change the "one" for day, afternoon, evening, night. Is that better? But if you don't like "Have a nice day" what am I supposed to tell you when I walk out of the elevator or your office? "May your day be cheerful if you're a happy type of person, sunny if you like the sun or rainy if you like the rain." :huh:

I'm going to get ready to go shoot. Have a nice day! :goof:

I use "Have a good one" but have been trying to change the "one" for day, afternoon, evening, night. Is that better? But if you don't like "Have a nice day" what am I supposed to tell you when I walk out of the elevator or your office? "May your day be cheerful if you're a happy type of person, sunny if you like the sun or rainy if you like the rain." :huh:

I'm going to get ready to go shoot. Have a nice day! :goof:

Up here we just shortened that to "G'day eh?"

My point is: "Have a Nice Day!" is just freakin' OVERUSED. It has become meaningless because of its overuse, and grown annoying in its insincerity. I would rather someone say NOTHING of the kind to me than to hear that meaningless statement over and over again. Either that or think of something far more imaginative or personalized to say. It's not that difficult, for cryin' out loud. <_<

blah blah blah....... yadda yadda yadda

I like using "have a nice day!!" when an irate customer storms away from me mumbling to himself..I always get a "what did you just say" and I reply with a smile and say it agian....sometimes I can see the smoke coming out there ears!