Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Swingers

npolley

i've been searching the site and cant seem to find a post about it, but i could be searching the wrong stuff

so whats is the best way to attack a swinging targets. im planning on attending my first shoot this weekend and im alittle nervous about the swingers. can anyone give me some advice or any links.

thanks

If your going to your first match this weekend, I think your first train of thought should be to be safe and have fun. Shooting things like swingers, stars, clamshells, drop turners, and the like will come with time.

But since you asked :D if its a swinger that appears and disappears quickly I like to shoot the activator and usually some static targets if I can and hit the swinger as it hits its bottom of the swing right before it goes the other way. If its going to continue to show itself the entire time its swinging I'll typically shoot it as a static in the sequence I need to shoot it in per the stage. This is all dependent on your skill level as well.

Remember its your first match and your not expected to go out and burn it down, just enjoy shooting with friends, or making them, and have fun!

Assuming that the swinger is available at the end of its travel --- it's stationary there for a brief moment, while it slows to a stop and reverses direction. On many swingers you can hang two on it on a single pass; some swingers will require one shot per pass....

If that position's not available --- and you just get part of the arc at the top, I like to set up near the right edge of the swinger's window and shoot it as it approaches from the left. Speed of travel and distance dictate whether I fire twice per pass, or once. If once, I never fire on it when it's going from right to left...

As Steel said, if it is visible at the bottom of it's arc thats where you want to shoot it. That is the point where it hesitates. Set your sights up where it hesitates and let it come to you. DON'T chase it! If you have time shoot a near by static between shooting the activator and the swinger. Watch the swinger when folks before you activate it . BE SAFE, HAVE FUN!

CYa,

Pat

ok. so if it is not visible at the bottom and im waiting for it to come to me. when do u pull the trigger, just as the edge of the target comes into the sight, or when more of the target is in the sights.

• 2 weeks later...

For obvious reasons, I like the Tips from the GMs article in Front Sight with Mike Seelander from USSA. He talks extensively about the mechnics of shooting swingers, bobbers, etc.

He used the phrase Ambush the swinger. Pick a spot and wait for the target to come to that spot. He give hints on how to find the sweet spot off the arc.

Start simple then move to the more complicated. By this I mean, Ambush the target with one hit, wait for it to cycle again to the same spot and hit it again. If you just starting out, do not force the second shot on the first exposure, because you are really training your subconcious mind at this point.

As you get more proficient, do your first shot at the swinger, then look for a static target to shoot, then back to the swinger.

Later, when your second shot split improves, practice two shots when it is in the sweet spot. To me the real key is understanding your split times. If your times are in the half second and the swinger takes two seconds to cycle, you have time to look for another target and come back. As your splits improve your ability to hit the swingers on the first cycle will improve, all the while by calling your shots.

The number one issue with shooting swingers as far as I'm concerned is shooters stop watching their sights and watch the swinger. I have a swinger at my practice area and watch new shooters lose focus of their sights continuously. It's easy to tell because I see them chasing the swinger with the gun. Stay extremely focused on the front sight and intercept the swinger at the end of it's arc. They get much easier with experience.

Edited by boz1911

The number one issue with shooting swingers as far as I'm concerned is shooters stop watching their sights and watch the swinger. I have a swinger at my practice area and watch new shooters loose focus of their sights continuously. It's easy to tell because I see them chasing the swinger with the gun. Stay extremely focused on the front sight and intercept the swinger at the end of it's arc. They get much easier with experience.

*raises hand*

I did exactly that on a fast swinger in last weeks match... Missed it with the last two rounds in the mag, changed, took a breath...found the front sight... and actually hit it with the next four.

Thanks for the tip!

• 2 weeks later...

whenever i see swingers in a stage i will try and shoot a few other things after the swinger is activated so its not swinging so fast also. depends on if that is a practical thing to do in the stage or not though.

whenever i see swingers in a stage i will try and shoot a few other things after the swinger is activated so its not swinging so fast also. depends on if that is a practical thing to do in the stage or not though.

As you gain experience you will find it is better to shoot them on the first swing because you know where it is. If you wait, odds are the swinger will be going away when you index back to it and you will have to wait on it. If possible, shoot the activator then shoot a static target. When you index to the swinger it should be just coming out and you can shoot it on the first pass with no waiting.

I clearly remember the first time this worked for me. I was so surprised it worked I hesitated and watched the swinger go away :goof:

• 1 month later...
i've been searching the site and cant seem to find a post about it, but i could be searching the wrong stuff

so whats is the best way to attack a swinging targets. im planning on attending my first shoot this weekend and im alittle nervous about the swingers. can anyone give me some advice or any links.

thanks

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=BB...p;v=iZjr7TmtIVU

thanks

Also for any other questions

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...&oq=todd+ja

Now go shoot

• 6 months later...

For obvious reasons, I like the Tips from the GMs article in Front Sight with Mike Seelander from USSA. He talks extensively about the mechnics of shooting swingers, bobbers, etc.

He used the phrase Ambush the swinger. Pick a spot and wait for the target to come to that spot. He give hints on how to find the sweet spot off the arc.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. Here is the link to the article. I've been doing a lot of reading on the forum lately and came across this article through other random searching. I thought it would be worth a post for anyone out there that has not had the chance to see it. Lots of good tips!

GM Tips

Lindsey

You don't really want to shoot the swinger when it pauses. If you do that, the first shot is fine, but the second will often be a poor hit. What you want is for the first shot to be an instant before the swinger pauses, recoil and reset happens while it's paused, then the second shot as it's just staring to move back up. This is for the common side exposure rather than an over-the-top exposure. OTT setups often mean only one shot per pass, so you want to track the arc of the target, which visually slows it's movement. That lets you put one as it's going away and one just as it's reappearing. R,

You don't really want to shoot the swinger when it pauses. If you do that, the first shot is fine, but the second will often be a poor hit. What you want is for the first shot to be an instant before the swinger pauses, recoil and reset happens while it's paused, then the second shot as it's just staring to move back up. This is for the common side exposure rather than an over-the-top exposure. OTT setups often mean only one shot per pass, so you want to track the arc of the target, which visually slows it's movement. That lets you put one as it's going away and one just as it's reappearing. R,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cay7UTL8nPk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cay7UTL8nPk

Thanks for providing such a good example of what I was describing ;)

Watch that a bunch of times (the slow motion part) and you'll see he takes the first shot on the left swinger just before it stops and the second shot just as it starts moving back up again....as I described above. The second one was a bit different with the first shot pretty much right when it stops and the second shot as it was moving up, but it had moved up quite a bit more than on the left popper. The problem is we can't see the hits, but it wouldn't be a surprise if the hits on the left swinger were better.

I'm not the originator of the idea, it was something Manny Bragg covered in the class before Area-5. :)