Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Hollow Points With FMJ Setup

MichiganShootist

I reload only .45 ACP and have burned through many thousands of reloads over the past 6 years (since I bought my Dillon). I have always used either Montana Gold or Zero 230 grain FMJs.. and have found that I could mix and match without any adjustments to my Dillon 550.

I recently acquired a considerable supply of Zero 230 grain JHPs. I plan on loading most of them for use in USPSA/IDPA shooting and a "case or so" a little hotter for my SHTF stash.

So the question is.... If I make no changes to my Dillon --- the JHPs will have a shorter OAL due to the flat tip (relative to the JHPs)... but the seating depth should be the same since the over-all bullet shape is the same and from the same manufacturer.

Is there any reason that I can't grind out a bunch of JHPs without adjusting the seating die in my Dillon?

Edited by MichiganShootist

I reload only .45 ACP and have burned through many thousands of reloads over the past 6 years (since I bought my Dillon). I have always used either Montana Gold or Zero 230 grain FMJs.. and have found that I could mix and match without any adjustments to my Dillon 550.

I recently acquired a considerable supply of Zero 230 grain JHPs. I plan on loading most of them for use in USPSA/IDPA shooting and a "case or so" a little hotter for my SHTF stash.

So the question is.... If I make no changes to my Dillon --- the JHPs will have a shorter OAL due to the flat tip (relative to the JHPs)... but the seating depth should be the same since the over-all bullet shape is the same and from the same manufacturer.

Is there any reason that I can't grind out a bunch of JHPs without adjusting the seating die in my Dillon?

Like the others have said you should be fine, just load up a hand full for testing to make sure then crank them out.

..... but why the chrony Duane?

Just to be absolutely positive ..... :rolleyes:

If you're going to be loading more than a hundred, and you plan to use them in USPSA or IDPA matches where high/low PF makes a difference - re-check your chrono before loading up too many.

You'll have more bullet sticking down in the case resulting in less effective case volume. Hollow points are proportioned differently than rn's. You've got the same volume of lead plus the volume of the hollow.

I don't believe that's correct Tom. I believe (Hope) that the curve (shoulder) of the bullet is identical on both bullets so the seating die should make contact in the same place and seat the two bullets the same depth. The JHP just has the very tip cut off.

This is the kind of stuff that caused me to start this thread......... I just hate to readjust my press. It hasn't had the seating die moved in 5 years :lol:

I don't believe that's correct Tom. I believe (Hope) that the curve (shoulder) of the bullet is identical on both bullets so the seating die should make contact in the same place and seat the two bullets the same depth. The JHP just has the very tip cut off.

The seating die may very well hit the ogive in the same spot but you're HP doesn't have the round tip and has the HP cavity. Where do you think the extra material went? Into the bullet base occupying more case volume. Seat a RN and a HP in a case and look at where the "bullet bulges" are. The bulge will be closer to the extractor groove on the HP.

I did the same thing with bowling pin loads for my revolver. I had shot the Wi sectional with 230 FMJ's and 4.7 gr WST (major). Loaded WW 230 HP's with the same setup. The HP's were faster, which is what I wanted for pins.

Edited by Tom E

I didn't mean to overstate this, I checked my recorded data "book". The difference between 230 FMJ and 230 HP with the same seating die settings (and both put all of the staight body of the bullet in the case) was 730 vs 750. The HP's @ 750 fps had a lower SD. This is in a 625 revolver but should be similar in a bottom feeder if you're not setting your OAL so you're headspacing off the bullet instead of the extractor.

Edited by Tom E

I had been doing this for 9mm Minor for a long time using Titegroup and Zero bullets. It chrono'd very close to the same and I didn't have to adjust anything.

Since then, I got one of those Redding Micro-adjustable seating dies. Way cool - just made a chart with various bullets, seating die settings, and resultant OAL. So easy to adjust for any bullet now.

Since I have only loaded one type and caliber of cartridge lots of those toys have not been needed.

Unlike many of you guys... I view reloading as being only slightly more fun than a root canal. I do it just for the ability dial in a PF and to save money..... but I lothe every minute that I spend at the press & screwing around with the components etc.

My goal in reloading is to make it as fast and simple as possible..... so I can grind out the ammo I need with the least "messing around".

No offence intended to you shooters who love it.

For what it is worth, I have not changed the seating die or seating insert ever when loading for 45 ( 230 FMJ and Lead, 200 SWC and truncated cone) and 9mm ( FMJ, LRN, HP, and truncated cone in four bullet weights).

Now, I may just be lucky, all 45's have functioned in three different 1911s, plus a Sig 220 and the 9s have worked in Glocks, Browning Hi Power, and my carbine. All loaded on a 550.

I understand feeding function testing, because the oal will be different, but why the chrony Duane?

The seating depth should be the same and the bullet is still a Zero 230 grain... the new bullets just happen to have a hole in the nose.

..........rechrononing is always a good idea. :rolleyes: .

edited for premature identification...

Edited by boz1911

Nobody has mentioned, "What kinda seating die?" I recently went back and forth between a Lee and a Dillon seating die, the Lee has a basically flat seater that pretty much seats everything to the same OAL. The Dillon has huge variations in seating depth depending on bullet. Probably in the KABOOM category, Granted I am using a 40 major with fast powder so there is alot more wiggle room in the lower pressure of the .45. But I would check the OAL of your bullet/die combo and compare it to published data as well as load a small batch for function and chrono.