Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are the Gamer loads in .38 Special?

ben b.

I have a revolver coming, I'm basically new to revolvers, and not finding what bullets most are using for .38 in Minor PF loads, is it 158 round nose? Do the 158 LSWC hang up when using the speed loaders? Anyone use 200 gr LRN?

Thanks for tips, links, etc.

Ben

A 158 needs to be going 800 fps to make Minor. Every loading manual ever made will have data to get you there.

For reloading, make sure your chambers are properly chamfered, and work on technique.

+1 and they should be Round Nose bullets

Thank you for answers. I'll refine my questions to make them clearer, but they are about the weight/type of bullets commonly used:

Are people who shoot .38 Spcl from a revolver in the action pistol games typically using 158 gr LRN projectiles, or is something else in favor? I'd assumed that round nose bullets in a speed loader slip in the cylinder easier than LSWC, but did not know HOW MUCH of a difference it is in practice.

I saw a few 200 gr .38 bullets, assumed they were for cowboy games, but wondered if they are in favor among action pistol revolver shooters, any one know?

Thank you for info,

Ben

Jan, I may need some brass if I run with this much. I started this because I had accumulated a small pile of .38 brass, and no .357/.38 revolver of any kind at all. Revolver is on the way, but I just don't know much about gun-gaming with a revo.

I have a revolver coming, I'm basically new to revolvers, and not finding what bullets most are using for .38 in Minor PF loads, is it 158 round nose? Do the 158 LSWC hang up when using the speed loaders? Anyone use 200 gr LRN?

Thanks for tips, links, etc.

Ben

for minor i'd load 4.5 grains of trailboss behind a 158 grain lead swc (i run that through an s&w 686-6 6")

Thank you for answers. I'll refine my questions to make them clearer, but they are about the weight/type of bullets commonly used:

Are people who shoot .38 Spcl from a revolver in the action pistol games typically using 158 gr LRN projectiles, or is something else in favor? I'd assumed that round nose bullets in a speed loader slip in the cylinder easier than LSWC, but did not know HOW MUCH of a difference it is in practice.

I saw a few 200 gr .38 bullets, assumed they were for cowboy games, but wondered if they are in favor among action pistol revolver shooters, any one know?

Thank you for info,

Ben

Jan, I may need some brass if I run with this much. I started this because I had accumulated a small pile of .38 brass, and no .357/.38 revolver of any kind at all. Revolver is on the way, but I just don't know much about gun-gaming with a revo.

FWIW cowboy shooters are moving to lighter and lighter bullets (125 and even 105 g 38's - at least the gamers). I personally shoot 45 C using the dark stuff during cowboy shooting - no gaming there, I am lucky to see the targets after the second shot.

Oh trust me, you want the round-nose bullets. As for weight, it is all a matter of what you and your gun like. If your revo won't shoot 158s accurately (god, is that even possible?) then try the 200s. Or, if you like the felt recoil of the 200s, go for it.

Do what feels good. Wheelgunners are a very accepting, inclusive group.......

The 158 gr. LRN or 158 gr Berry's or Rainer RN bullets work well for me with American Select powder. American Select is clean burning and meters well in my Dillon 550. I use the same loads for USPSA, IDPA and the DR and Harry Reeves matches at Camp Perry.

Edited by TonyT

Hank,

I have found Unique to be OK but the faster burners like Bulleye, Clays, 231, WST, TG and N320 are so much better, there will be others I just have not tried them.

158RN anything well made and start at about 4.0gr and work up to pf from there. Like Pat says if 158RN won't work the world has stopped turning.

Around here Clays and 158 LRN is about standard for 38's Just heard a podcast from the IDPA nationals and the guy that won SSP used Clays and 158 Gr RN I think FMJ's not lead though. I did find in my 4 inch 686 I had to go a little over Hodgens published data to make 125,000 PF. They don't publish any + P data for Clays and I found my loads chronographed much slower than the loads off Hodgens web site. Pushed the loads up some made PF easy with no sign of unusual pressure. 686's are strong guns and have not seen any problems with mine.

Not recommending any one exceed published data though.

Boats

• 2 weeks later...
Around here Clays and 158 LRN is about standard for 38's Just heard a podcast from the IDPA nationals and the guy that won SSP used Clays and 158 Gr RN I think FMJ's not lead though. I did find in my 4 inch 686 I had to go a little over Hodgens published data to make 125,000 PF. They don't publish any + P data for Clays and I found my loads chronographed much slower than the loads off Hodgens web site. Pushed the loads up some made PF easy with no sign of unusual pressure. 686's are strong guns and have not seen any problems with mine.

Not recommending any one exceed published data though.

I've got a truckload of Clays laying around I haven't tried yet and the WW231 loads have promise to bump up to Minor. I'm not a fan of Titegroup and lead bullets. Well known smoke producer.

Thanks for the help. Now back to the reloading bench.

I found that the 158 gr LSWC rounds are way too hard to chamber quickly from a speed loader.

The 180 gr LFP bullets seem reasonably easy to chamber from a speedloader. I get 135 PF or so from .40 gr 180 lead with 3.5 gr Solo1000, and found that I got 136 PF from the same load in .38 Spcl. I am now trying 3.6 gr S1000 to see what that does for group size.

• 4 years later...

I use my own cast Lyman 358430 200 grain RN, Federal SP, and 4.3 grains of Trail Boss. Gives me about 675 fps and is very soft shooting.

I could not make these shoot in my 627. Well not good enough for ICORE Standards anyway. Close in they were fine.