Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why do I push my shots low left!?

wooddog

Milking the grip, which means too much tension from your strong hand. If you find yourself adjusting your hands while shooting, this is most likely what is going on. Could also be bad trigger control or recoil anticipation.

Seems like the majority of my hits are low left. What am I doing?

The classic answer to your problem is that you're doing what's called "crushing the gun," i.e. when your index finger curls to pull the trigger the other fingers curl, as well. Basically you're making a fist every time you pull the trigger. This of course, for a right handed shooter, pushes all shots to the left, usually low left, and for a left handed shooter things go low right.

What you have here is a failure to disassociate your trigger finger from the rest of your hand. When the trigger finger moves, no other part of the master hand should move. Just the trigger finger, back and forth. Lots of dry fire can help. It also helps, with nothing in your hand, just to put your hand out, fingers curled as if you were holding a gun butt. Move your index finger back and forth as if pulling a trigger. Watch the other fingers. I'll bet you see them moving. Just keep doing that, over the weeks and months, until you can do it without the other fingers moving at all.

Also what will help is LOTS of dry fire practice. You may say, "'That doesn't happen when I dry fire, it only happens when I live fire." That just means you haven't dry fired enough. It's not enough to do the normal, slow "squeeeeeze the trigger" drill, you need to begin pulling the trigger at the speed you would when shooting fast. Turn your eyesight up, watch what the front sight does. If you're pulling low left in live fire, when you turn up the speed in dry fire, and turn up your eyesight, you'll probably see the sight moving low left as well.

Seems like the majority of my hits are low left. What am I doing?

It's going to sound like I'm making a joke, but I'm not....honest.

The answer is that regardless of why, you're pointing the gun low and left just before/as it goes off. Learning to call your shots, that is see what the sight picture was the instant the gun went off, is the ultimate fix to this.

If you call a low left shot you'll know it and you'll be able to figure out what you did to cause that and stop it. The problem is, right now, you're not seeing that it happens in the first place. R,

Edit cause I can't seem to type tonight!

Edited by G-ManBart

When I notice my shots doing that it's time for the ball & dummy drill. You will be amazed what you see and tightens my groups after every ball & dummy drill session.

This is the drill: Mix in some snap caps in a magazine with live ammo and fire. Bet you'll see your muzzle dip. Best thing to do is relax and let the shot surprise you.

Wow! Just did a little dry fire at "match speed" and watched the site move low left on every second pull.

Seems like I am pressing on the right side of the trigger more than straight back which pushes to the left... duh

As a relatively new shooter as well, I have the same issues. But I've found that trigger prep also helps fix this too, in both DA and SA type actions. If I'm not mistaken (and the more experienced can confirm or correct me), by prepping the trigger, you've shortened the trigger pull as much as possible, minimizing any movement you impart to the whole system when you finally break the shot.

There is a target about 2/3 of the way down the page here which can help you diagnose problems. It has the "Lee" logo on it and is broken down into quadrants with the most common reason(s) why you are hitting there.

Those targets were made for 1 handed bullseye shooting over 50 years ago.

If you are missing it's because you are moving the sights before the bullet leaves the barrel. It isn't any more complex than that. You don't need fancy targets or new sights or a new trigger, you just need to pull the damn trigger straight to the rear of the gun without moving the sights.

The classic answer to your problem is that you're doing what's called "crushing the gun," i.e. when your index finger curls to pull the trigger the other fingers curl, as well. Basically you're making a fist every time you pull the trigger. This of course, for a right handed shooter, pushes all shots to the left, usually low left, and for a left handed shooter things go low right.

What you have here is a failure to disassociate your trigger finger from the rest of your hand. When the trigger finger moves, no other part of the master hand should move. Just the trigger finger, back and forth. Lots of dry fire can help. It also helps, with nothing in your hand, just to put your hand out, fingers curled as if you were holding a gun butt. Move your index finger back and forth as if pulling a trigger. Watch the other fingers. I'll bet you see them moving. Just keep doing that, over the weeks and months, until you can do it without the other fingers moving at all.

Also what will help is LOTS of dry fire practice. You may say, "'That doesn't happen when I dry fire, it only happens when I live fire." That just means you haven't dry fired enough. It's not enough to do the normal, slow "squeeeeeze the trigger" drill, you need to begin pulling the trigger at the speed you would when shooting fast. Turn your eyesight up, watch what the front sight does. If you're pulling low left in live fire, when you turn up the speed in dry fire, and turn up your eyesight, you'll probably see the sight moving low left as well.

Excellent information.

was helping a guy who thought because there was a place for it, he should hang the index finger of his weakhand out in front of the trigger guard, which was pulling his shots left as well....

Duane is spot on w/ his advice, and I think I read you were 'pushing' one side ofthe trigger more w/ your finger??? that would also do it, buuuut at least now you are 'aware' like Bart said of whats going on, and able to correct it, 'see' what your doing, right or wrong and be able to fix it, not just fling roundsdownrange and call it good, and walk up to a 25 yr target and 'hope' the hits are there, call the shots....know they are there....

• 2 weeks later...

AT the range last night, I had several problems with ammo which caused misfires. Man did I get a wake up on how much I was flinching!! By the end of 100 rounds with about 15 mis-fires mixed in my flinch had subsided and my groups moved to the center.

Just like you guys said, Its all about being aware.

AT the range last night, I had several problems with ammo which caused misfires. Man did I get a wake up on how much I was flinching!! By the end of 100 rounds with about 15 mis-fires mixed in my flinch had subsided and my groups moved to the center.

Excellent that you've begun correcting the issue.

This is why some people will have their friends or shooting buddies load dummy rounds into their magazines. If the front sight dips then you know what's wrong. ;)

When I run a gun empty and pull the trigger I push the gun down, the muzzle drops several inches. Its not a flinch, its recoil control. A flinch if when you move the gun before it fires in anticipation of recoil. Putting pressure on the gun to get it back on target faster is recoil control but the pressure is from the gun recoiling, not from anticpating the recoil. You must allow the bullet to leave the barrel before putting any pressure on the gun. There is a fine line.

If your groups tightened up then you were probably flinching or just didn't have a smooth pull. Just wanted to make you aware that there is a difference between flinch and recoil control. They will pretty much look identical when you drop the hammer on a empty chamber if your expecting a round to go off. Once you understand the two its pretty easy to separate them.

Flyin

When I run a gun empty and pull the trigger I push the gun down, the muzzle drops several inches. Its not a flinch, its recoil control. A flinch if when you move the gun before it fires in anticipation of recoil. Putting pressure on the gun to get it back on target faster is recoil control but the pressure is from the gun recoiling, not from anticpating the recoil. You must allow the bullet to leave the barrel before putting any pressure on the gun. There is a fine line.

If your groups tightened up then you were probably flinching or just didn't have a smooth pull. Just wanted to make you aware that there is a difference between flinch and recoil control. They will pretty much look identical when you drop the hammer on a empty chamber if your expecting a round to go off. Once you understand the two its pretty easy to separate them.

Flyin

I know what you mean about the recoil control and have always told myself that. But after a few misfires and actually thinking as I squeezed each shot the drop went away when I came upon a misfire. Now to speed it up and do the same drill with dummy rounds tossed into a loose bag of ammo.

i have been a firearms instructor for the border patrol since 1982. what duane says is dead on correct.

1chota