Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Experts Chime In: Extended Slide Stops

doc540

OK, you educate me.

I've already been warned extended slide stops are "a fad", "illegal in IDPA competition", "trash", "problematic", "no longer used", and evidence of the devil's spawn.

My left thumb (right handed shooter) comes no where close to the slide stop.

I've only fired less than 1,000 rounds through my 1911's, but I have never contacted, much less engaged the slide stop when shooting.

I do not intend to carry Colt Commander.

I am having a little difficulty operating the "small" factory slide stop.

This will be a range gun and, perhaps, a hobbyist competition shooter.

Since it's not a permanent mod, why would I not install a good quality extended slide stop?

DSCN0261-1.jpg

Quick answer: because you don't need it. If you shoot to slide lock, when you reload your left thumb (assuming you're right-handed) will be perfectly positioned to drop the slide. That's if your right thumb can't reach.

And the problem with an extended stop can be more subtle: the extra mass can cause the stop to bounce up and lock the slide open before you run dry.

Swim upstream if you want, but there's a reason we dropped them decades ago.

"If you shoot to slide lock, when you reload your left thumb (assuming you're right-handed) will be perfectly positioned to drop the slide."

Thank you, and I'm not arguing just adding info.

Maybe my left-hand thumb is weak, but it is taking a concerted effort to contact the small slide stop and release it from the slide tension.

Perhaps I just need to concentrate on that, but it's proving to be a focus distraction.

"If you shoot to slide lock, when you reload your left thumb (assuming you're right-handed) will be perfectly positioned to drop the slide."

Thank you, and I'm not arguing just adding info.

Maybe my left-hand thumb is weak, but it is taking a concerted effort to contact the small slide stop and release it from the slide tension.

Perhaps I just need to concentrate on that, but it's proving to be a focus distraction.

If the gun is new it's likely to loosen up and be easier to activate, but you might consider a nicely checkered slide stop or one of the models that has a slight ledge built into the face. Either seems to help out a bit.

I'll admit that I have a very old Open gun that still has one on it, but I haven't seen one quite like it, at least not in a decade. Very small lever that required cutting into the top of the grip panel for clearance...never activated it accidentally, but it's pretty unusual. In the small pile of guns I've had built since then none has had an extended slide stop of any kind. R,

Edit to add: in the other thread I forgot to add that Wilson also makes an extended model since I know you were aware of the Ed Brown version. If you try one I'd suggest at least considering trimming it down as short and narrow as you can manage to get by with.

Edited by G-ManBart

While I am certainly no expert, I dislike extended slide stops and safety locks. The slide stop just didn't work for me and the one I tried many years ago would activate when I didn't want it to :angry2: . Whenever I make a slidelock reload ( I try not to shoot to slidelock) I use the my thumb to release the slide like Patrick Sweeny described. However, if you like an extended slide stop and your gun runs with it, go for it :cheers: .

I am so used to stock length safety locks that I will put the safety on after a reload by accident with an extended safety lock.

Hurley

Edited for spelling. HR

Edited by HRider

It's a cheap part. I would get one and try it out and see how it works for YOU. Then you can cut it down, alter it, mod it or go back to the

original.

thanks, I was thinking about narrowing down a King.

Hello: I use the Wilson one with the tang that sticks out the back. It also sticks further out as well. I cut the tang part off and round the corner to match the Ed Brown thumb safety. It sticks out just enough that it can be hit with either my strong or weak hand easily. I use the stainless one so it won't rust and it looks great. I also doctor it up so it closes the slide when I do a slide lock reload. That is very handy for IDPA slide lock reloads :cheers: For USPSA I cut the mag catch tang off so it won't go to slide lock. I would say you should try one with the tang and see if it works for you. Thanks, Eric

Ye gods, what a horrible thing to contemplate doing to such a nice gun. As Patrick mentioned, extended slide stops have a nasty tendency to pop up under recoil, from their own greater-than-stock weight, locking the action open with rounds still in the magazine. Also, I know you say you'll never carry this gun, but if you do you'll find that if you ever wear a garment with a loose weave (for instance I used to wear my old Army uniform sweater tucked into blue jeans - the extended slide stop, sticking back to the rear, can hook into the weave on the draw, either (1) ripping the hell out of your garment, (2) pinning the gun in the holster, or (3) both.

Among serious shooters there is an old saying: "An extended slide stop is the second most useless part you can put on a 1911. The first most useless is an ambidextrous extended slide stop."

If you find depressing the slide stop difficult, I would suggest going for a lighter recoil spring to lessen forward pressure on the slide stop, making it easier to depress, before I'd go for an extended slide stop. Most auto pistols, in my opinion, are oversprung from the factory, and the Lightweight Commander is no exception.

Did a recent rebarell for my SS gun, primarily used for USPSA SS div.

Went ahead and installed the Wilson ext SS slide stop- nice looking, I polished its matte finish to match the EB Wide SS ambi already installed.

I'm trying it due to having small hands and I thought this might be easier to depress if needed. I'm used to my old stop letting the slide go after the mag is inserted. . . .

I was iniostially worried this new ext stop would lock up or be inadvertantly activated, but so far so good.

Easy to hit for that (hopefully) rare slide lock reload.

So far so good- 2 local matches 3 practice sessions and all's well

I post up if problems.

"If you find depressing the slide stop difficult, I would suggest going for a lighter recoil spring to lessen forward pressure on the slide stop, making it easier to depress, before I'd go for an extended slide stop. Most auto pistols, in my opinion, are oversprung from the factory, and the Lightweight Commander is no exception."

Thanks for an alternative solution.

Can you recommend a spring and a source for it?

"If you find depressing the slide stop difficult, I would suggest going for a lighter recoil spring to lessen forward pressure on the slide stop, making it easier to depress, before I'd go for an extended slide stop. Most auto pistols, in my opinion, are oversprung from the factory, and the Lightweight Commander is no exception."

Thanks for an alternative solution.

Can you recommend a spring and a source for it?

Doc, I have a few single stacks with extended king's that have been shaved a bit so that they work for my wife. She doesnt seem to have ANY problems with them locking back prematurely. I am a "swim upstream" kinda guy. Any time the "experts" say that a part or technique is bad JuJu it peaks my interest a bit to try it :)

Thanks again for the counsel.

Logic dictates that I continue to shoot this new Commander and see if: 1. it "lightens up" a bit with use, and 2. I get better at operating the factory slide stop.

My local gunsmith who I've known for 30+ years and specializes in 1911 work is cautioning me against a lighter recoil spring, DT. So, I'll pass for now on that option.

I'm going to also hold off on purchasing the King slide stop (which I could slim down a bit) and just shoot the gun a while longer.

I appreciate the advice here.

Edited by doc540

I had a Wilson extended slide stop on my 45 for awhile. I really liked the confidence it gave me. Then the extended part broke off. Guess what- I did not need it anymore. I do not have them on any of my guns.

If you needed, try it out. It is a small investment and you can always ditch it.

Will an Ed Brown extended, tactical safety be IDPA legal?

229341.JPG

And it could just be my imagination, but at the range yesterday it seemed the factory slide stop was lightening or loosening up a bit. Had no significant problem operating it, so that issue is off the table.

Edited by doc540

Will an Ed Brown extended, tactical safety be IDPA legal?

Sure.

And it could just be my imagination, but at the range yesterday it seemed the factory slide stop was lightening or loosening up a bit. Had no significant problem operating it, so that issue is off the table.

Whew! Dodged that bullet. (pun intended) :lol: