Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The National Parks: America's Best Idea

Jman

Leslie and I just came back from Zion National Park where my daughter is working. If I had a dollar for every time we said "Oh my gosh" I would quit worrying about my 401K. Just amazingly spectacular, perhaps the best of all the parks I have gone to.

They are doing a show with the Great Smoky Mountains. I believe it's tonight that it airs.

And no I wasn't raised "IN" the National Park, my house was literally about 1 mile from the Park boundary. So I was raised right where part of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is at in East TN.

Edited by jasmap

Leslie and I just came back from Zion National Park where my daughter is working. If I had a dollar for every time we said "Oh my gosh" I would quit worrying about my 401K. Just amazingly spectacular, perhaps the best of all the parks I have gone to.

Zion, Bryce, and the Grand Canyon. Spent 2 weeks in a tent and cooking on the grill everynight years ago. Would love to go back. Words and pictures on TV CANNOT begin to describe it, not even close. If you likes to outdoors, you owe it to yourself to go at least once in your lifetime.

We've been watching every night. Lots of great footage. I swear the Zion ranger they have on was the same guy that drove the shuttle bus when we hung out in Zion after Nationals. He was a hoot!

Some of my early memories are sitting around the big fire listening to the ranger talk in one park or another. I don't consciously remember much of the content, but one that stuck was a story about a test for ranger trainees-- they had to set fire to their hat without without matches or lighter. Since they paid for the hat, it was motivational to put it back out again quickly. :roflol:

I seriously considered "park ranger" as a career long ago.

I spent 30 years working for the US Forest Service. Not the same as the Park Service. But better, in my book. On FS land hunting is allowed, and you won't be arrested for displaying a gun. The last half of my career was as a law enforcement officer. Loved the work. Didn't care for the hours and working almost every weekend. The worst part of all was dealing internally with the bureaucracy and management. Still, wouldn't trade the experience for love or money. Well, maybe money! B)

Living very close (Denver) to some of the most spectacular parks in the country means I tend to take them for granted. I finally went to Zion last year, but only because my wife's aunt was in a hospital in St George and we went to visit. I have driven past Moab dozens of times and keep saying I am going to visit. I think I will put it on the calendar for next year and shock the wife. We should all slow down a bit and appreciate the scenery!

Zion National Park is easily the most underrated NP in the country. I hope you got to experience the angel's landing hike...it was quite amazing when I went last summer.