Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Undersize Sizing Die for .40

STIGUY

I have seen and read discussions of using undersized sizing die (I think it was sizing) in reloading. I was wondering (since I am a newbie) shy is this done and do I need one in addition to the RCBS .40 dies I already have? If so, what brand is the best and the source? I believe I saw an advertisement for undersized dies, but I am not sure as this was a general reloading catalog from Cabelas. I also saw a discussion for the CaseMaster or something....followed the link an realized that old prices were like $500. If I obtain a Dillon 650....do I still still need this CaseMaster. Between the two, I am in over $1K and still haven't purchase the bullet and case feeder which eventually I plan on getting for the Dillon. You thoughts are GREATLY APPRECIATED!

An EGW "U" die is simply a resizing die that has been reformed to resize the brass .001" (I think) smaller and is shaved at the bottom so the die can resize lower on the case. The results of using this die are the resulting cartridge chambers more reliably and the tighter cartridge stops the bullet from getting set back into the case after being seated. The disadvantage is it can be a little harder to cycle the reloader. I don't find the die causes me that much more effort over an RCBS resizing die.

I use a U die for 9mm, 40, and 45 acp.

The other alternative to the EGW "U" die which I haven't seen mentioned yet is the Redding GR-x die which resizes the entire case. I use this one instead of the EGW "U" die and it does the job just as well. However, You have to size the cases separately-I size mine on a Lee Cast Classic Single Stage. Here is the link: http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/grxpushthru.html. There is another die out there that does the same thing as the Redding but can't think of the name right now.

+1 on the EGW .40 U- die, love it.....

I am running Glocks with a Strom Lake after market barrels, so that I can shoot lead bullets and I am using pick-up one fired range brass, mostly from the local LEO's. ( BTW I also pick up my own fired brass)

I also use the EGW die on all my .40 S&W brass. It is an extra step in the reloading process but IMHO it is worth it.

By doing this it allows me to inspect each round of brass, remove stuck rocks & dirt. (A real bear in my 650 when it happens,) look for deformed brass and occasionally I find a split case. It also insures that the cases will chamber without a problem.

I do know reloaders that pick the brass up, run it through the polisher and then straight into the case feeder.

Thery take thier chances and I try to reduce /improve my chances of a stoppage.

Edited by Beans

• 1 month later...

Untill today i use the Lee U die, and I like it really much. To resize the entire case after i have obtain the finished ammo i use the Lee factory crimp die with the only body pushing all the ammo from the bottom and making leave it from the top, so i resize all the brass with the bullet on.

Im waiting for a Gizmo resizing die that i bought yesterday to see if it works better as i read on another post in this forum... later i can tell you.

The U-die reduced my case gauge failure rate to almost zero. I use them for 40 and 9. When I start reloading 45 again, I'll be using one for that too.

+1. I was getting around 4% glocked brass failing the case gauge before using the U die. Since switching, I'm up to around 2000 rounds without a single failure.

+1 on the EGW U die.

If you are not using the poweder check on your 650, rotate the powder measure around one location and install the U die, without decapping pin, in the powder measure's former location. By doing the initial size with your standard sizing die and sizing with the U die second, you will not noticed that much extra force to size with a U die. I started using that system with my 38 super and have had good results.

Ray Van Valkenburg

Have one in .40 and hate it, don't use it anymore. Doesn't line up with the case correctly so each one has to be guided in by hand. Could be a bad die, or a bad press, but either way it's not worth the trouble to me.

Have one in .40 and hate it, don't use it anymore. Doesn't line up with the case correctly so each one has to be guided in by hand. Could be a bad die, or a bad press, but either way it's not worth the trouble to me.

Let me know if you want to sell it...

I've been using a Lee Factory Crimp Die in station 5 for the past couple years on 9-40-45acp with perfect results. Prior to discovering the FCD I was getting a 15-20% failure rate on range-pick up brass. Standard Dillon dies simply could not be set down far enough for the Bulge.

Hello: If you are reloading with range brass you will love the EGW "U" die. I use the "U" die, Redding comp seater and the Dillon crimp die. I never have any problems after that loading 40. The comp seater is nice if you load different bullets. Start collecting brass now. Thanks,Eric

It definitely works better if you have a press where you can run a standard resizing die in #1 and the U-die in #2....they seem to feed into the U-die much, much better than way and it also helps lower the effort to run the press. R,