Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Physical Condition In Ipsc

lukipsc

What do you think about physical condition in IPSC and which way may be the best for better results (in shooting and at a body for lady ;)).

I think that the most important power is a dynamical power and no muscles like Arnold S.

Have you got any tips?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have no room to talk as I am 20+overweight - But - I would think that good cardiovascular would help much more than weight training. If you do weights - lots of reps with light weights, stretching and something like martial arts or dance for the balance. A gun weighs 3lbs or so - no need for the bulging biceps...Not for the shooting anyways - Now as to the Ladies - I am totally clueless :huh::D:D:D

Thank you for definition. This world was not in dictionary ;) They have to be satesfied with us like we are :D but come back to shooting please.

Have you got other tips for this topic? I think that my physical condition is good. Lately I came back from the present servise of the army.

Oh yes I have forgot, I live in Czech Republick, it is small country in heart of Europe. Next year we are going to make Europe Championship in IPSC. This year we made Czech Euro Open Extrem (40 stages per 4 days). Do you know my country? B)

Matt Burkett - Under the shooting tips section - 10 week plan.

I know nothing of the Czeh Republic other that what I have seen on TV - very little.

It sounds like they had a very good match with 40 stages. I have never seen a match with that many stages.

I live in the Republic of Texas. It is a medium size country between the USA and Mexico. Ya'll come and visit. :P:P:P

Thank you for your tip.

You can visit web site of the match Czech Euro Open, this match is every year and its quality is high. For example Eric Grauffel is there every year.

Yes, I know your country, from pictures and from books, I learned to it on high school in the geography and I was interested about Alamo.

Cardio is very important in IPSC, strength can be at times also. I suggest you get to the point where you can tote your range bag on your shoulder up a 45 degree incline for 100 yards and not be out of breath.

As for the ladies, get some chiseled abs and try to have all muscles sized proportionatly (ie. 52 inch chest and 20 inch arms don't look good with 15 inch calves). :P

I think for the ladies, the size that matters is the wallet. :)

I'm no trainer, I just know what a match is like:

Wait an hour, shoot and run for 5-20 seconds. repeat 4-10 times.

I do intense cardio on the elliptical (sp?) and light weights with high reps.

30-60 min of dry fire almost every day.

The match is more endurance than strength IMO.

SA

lukipsc,

The Matt Burkett plan isn't bad. The principals are there and the emphasis on mental pictures and visualization are great.

Basically, concentrate on building your endurance and strength. IPSC shooting is a lot of standing and waiting, which really wears on the body. Too, while at a match, stay well hydrated. You may not be exerting energy, but standing around, will dehydrate you quickly. Anyone who's been in the military knows, the "get there early and wait and empty a cantene" philosophy.

Strength comes in by having power with your movements. Another thing that Matt's workout has that works well is the incorporation of sprints. This training principle is known as Fartlek running and is extremely effective in increasing endurance and strength. Too, it will definitely break up the boredom of walking for a long period of time. Again, anyone who's been in the military knows that road marches suck. You get tired, but it's not that bad. You more so are mentally whooped and so variety helps a lot.

Incorporate weight training. Pick a weight that you can do 9-15 repetitions with and do slow and controlled movements. At contraction, hold the squeeze for a count of one and and lower the weight slowly at a 3 count. With will yield large body fat losses and increase muscle strength without sacrificing dexterity.

Hope that helps.

Rich

P.S. The Czech Republic is beautiful.

Rich:

yes, it was help me very well, I think that keynote is building endurance and immunity. Did I understand you right?

PS: Were you in Czech Republick? Where?

I am sorry, I know that my English is not much good, I have to learn much...

lukipsc,

Basically, work on building up endurance and power (with your movements). It will help not only in performing the individual stages better, but sustain you for a match.

As for my visit to the Czech Republic, I went in 1998 to see the Nationale-Nederlanden Building in Prague. A friend of mine works for the architect that designed the building, and I went to see out of professional curiosity (I'm an architect too). Beautiful country and very friendly people.

Rich

• 4 weeks later...

I hate to say this but as a persnal trainer I think that no conditioning is needed other than being able to run 25 meters without dropping dead of a heart attack.

There are many examples of grandmaster shooters who can shoot better than anyone but are in sorry shape.

One grandmaster mentioned in this thread smokes (at least the last time I saw him) like a chimney.

One should do strength and cardio for their overall health and self image and not nessessarily for a sport that it may not be needed and won't maintain the motivation to workout.

John, your a personal trainer, i thougth you were a cop?

I may be no professional like John, but I have studied quite intensely in many areas concerning shooting.

First steve anderson pegged it. wait an hour sprint repeat.

Burkette's plan is awesoem like most things matt does, he is very thourough.

Here is what I feel is important.

First, you need endurance to stay the day. if being on the range from 7:30- 4 PM even phases that razor sharp edge then you aren't in good enough shape.

I think light weight training is beneficial to good shooting slow work nothing with jerking.

Proper breathing (tai chi) style, or also called stomach breathing is very important.

lastly nutrition, healthy food in at close intervals during the day i've sen major matches lost and (on my part anyway) won over this. i shot against a friend once who wouldn't snack, but ate 3 chilli dogs for lunch... he said.. "i feel weighted down sluggish" well he shot that way too. and i won.

the more i have thought about it the more i totally disagree with John. being in Numerous martial arts and shooting sports it occurs to me that the way muscles react in smoothness (out ultimate goal in pistol shooting) is in adverse proportion to their training. you can't make a smooth and controlled motion unless that muscle has that engrained. This applies to shooting on the move the most.

I remember when Todd and Rob had a big belly. They are in a little better shape now. Jerry was always a kind of wirey lad. More so after he started winning Nationals, he seemed to hit the bench. He is a small frame guy but check out his arms, and shoulders and back. They are the big three shooters in my opinion.

Let's see Sevigny, Racaza, That French Guy :) Grauffel, Strader, Michel, Burkett among other real Contenders for top gun are in pretty good shape. Does it guarantee a win HAHA you wish.

Are there a couple GM top guns who can win a Nationals/Area, in less than athletic shape? Sure is and its a couple at most. But I think most are in pretty good shape for that extra 1% it could get you.

For me being in shape(ok some smart---- will say what are you talking about?) increases my endurance to a higher degree, which is the most important thing. I have a weight workout and believe in some cardio. Its not the shape that wins matches, its the fact it let's you shoot longer and with more control at your peak level. Its also let's your fine motor skills and your mind perform at its highest level, ALL day long, which is what wins your class at a major match. It's part of the win but by far not all.

Man I need to go workout now. :ph34r:

Round is a shape. :D Yes, I am THE smart***.

All jokes aside, since starting an aerobic and strength training routine, my shooting has improved a lot. I am not a top-3 shooter by any means, but am crawling through C-class a whole lot faster than I crawled through D-class. It seems my concentration has improved as well as my physical ability to go through a course of fire smoothly.

Liota

lukipsc,

I have always found an excellent relationship between basketball and IPSC. A lot a quick, short, explosive movements, combined with high level of hand-eye coordination. Good cardiovascular work-out and a little bit of a mental game. Play some basketball on a regular occasion and you'll get better in IPSC.

Erik

Smoney,

I teach PT at police acedemies.

A little education for yous:

Cardio: or the aerobic system dosen't get used when ones' heart rate gets above 80% of their maximum heart rate so unless your shooting stages that require a slow to moderate jog for twenty minutes or more cardio training isn't going to help your shooting.

Anaerobic: Kickes in after about 30 seconds to three minutes or so of maximium effort so sprint work with challenging recovery interavals might help.

Phosephagen 10-39 seconds of 100% effort of using ATP as fuel. It's whats used in the 100 meter sprint.

I dont see any aerobic or anaerobic being used in the USPSA or IDPA and very limited phosephagen in the USPSA.

As far as strength for holding up the gun and stuff muscle adapts to "specifity"; in other words if you want to improve your ability to hold a gun up: practice holding a gun up. There are exceptions like grip work.

The abiltiy to explode off the line and stuff has to be worked through plyrometrics and similar stuff and can make a slight difference between two people of exact similar shooting ability and with the exact same performance on a stage. But how often does than happen for us regular shooters?

I'm not saying don't workout to improve your shooting game, what I'm saying is don't start working out thinking it's going to make a big difference or even a noticable one. I workout just like yu guys and don't like hearing that my hard work isn't nessessarily an advantage eithier. If you want to go go from 97 to 100% then yes train for the sport otherwise just do it for yourself.