Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Physical Condition In Ipsc

lukipsc

Did some searches on this and other boards,

I'm seaching for training techniques to improve my speed of moving (basic speed/sprint techniques/ efficient moving).

As I'm shooting good points lately, analysing stage-reports teaches me that I'm losing time on transitions from point A to B.

Any suggestions? Just cardio or is there more?

I've picked up lots of speed doing interval running. Make a start line and lines (or cones or something else) at 5, 10, 15 and 20 meters. Stand at the start and on signal sprint to the 5 meter line and touch it, then back to start and touch it, then to the 10 and so on... do this 3 times / week and keep track of the times and you'll pick up not only speed but som agility too..

I'm 2m tall and have never been very fast (running in school) so I've done some thinking and testing on this subject because I wanted to be faster, but it's much more important to not waste movement than to be fast and above all get to the shooting asap once entering or aproaching a new position.

Working on the smart movement as I call it has gotten my times down conciderably. My times are ok now I only need a major gun so I can get some points too... ;)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's also physically impossible (unless you're some kind of mutant) to build "too much muscle mass." People who use that phrase typically have no idea how difficult it is even for an extreme mesomorph to add a pound of muscle to their body. That goes triple for women, who are typically the people who have the unwarranted fear of getting "too muscular" if they train hard with heavy weights.

In the highly unlikely event that someone finds they're getting bigger than they want to be, all they have to do is decrease the intensity of their training.

I'm 2m tall and have never been very fast (running in school)  so I've done some thinking and testing on this subject because I wanted to be faster, but it's much more important to not waste movement than to be fast and above all get to the shooting asap once entering or aproaching a new position.

Dalmas,

I encounter the same problem, as I'm 2.04m. (well over 6 ft, almost 7) I'm not a sprinter, but still I want to improve on my sprinting capabilities, just to keep up with those smaller sprint-type guys, I'll try the interval running, thanx for your advice.

Are there any GM's taller than 2.00m who developed special strategies to cope with the disability of being not fast enough due to body restrictions?

From watching the really fast guys vs. the kinda fast guys on field courses, the big difference seems to be in how fast they can stop or change directions, more so than how fast they can take off or get going. The guys who can really handle the deceleration and direction changes are able to start shooting sooner.

From watching the really fast guys vs. the kinda fast guys on field courses, the big difference seems to be in how fast they can stop or change directions, more so than how fast they can take off or get going.  The guys who can really handle the deceleration and direction changes are able to start shooting sooner.

Like Robbie? But his center of gravity is lower than mine :rolleyes:

Are there any GM's taller than 2.00m who developed special strategies to cope with the disability of being not fast enough due to body restrictions?

First of all I'm not a GM...yet! and second i kinda pushed the truth I'm only 197.5 and about 85 kgs (6'4 190lbs).

I have the pleasure to sometimes train with the std div silver medalist from the 2004 EC, he's concidered fast and on the otherside of the physical spectrum, i estimate at 170 and 70 kgs. I can keep my times to +/- 1-2 seconds of him, his just that much more consistant, and shoot better points.. but I'll get there too..

The point is that we'll never look or even feel fast but it doesn't matter we can be and it's what the timer says that counts. I used to look at my hight as a disadvantage because most ipsc stages favor shorter people but really its not. I like being tall, now I like it when I shoot too. The mindset is important. You just need to find the advantages and use them to the fullest.

We can "flow" better that the shorter guys and that is a timesaver. Hey we can be fast.. ;)

• 1 year later...

Agility ( 1 : marked by ready ability to move with quick easy grace) my physical workout revolves around that one word ! any thing that improves your agility is directly related to ipsc performance. you can over come body type and SHAPE (roundness) but in the end carrying extra weight is not making you MORE AGILE...

If you could Aim and Move with quick easy grace ... winning matches would happen at will !

Well this thread got bumped after over a year, so I"ll chime in.

No, our sport is not a purely physical test of how much you can bench press. It's more of a relaxed endurance race.

That being said, and it was already mentioned, all else being equal the guy in better shape has an advantage.

Simply imagine yourself at the World Shoot. Long, tough travel days, lugging your stuff, short on sleep, a week of long days at the range, eating, sleep and normal activity interrupted. Tough mental pressure of competing at the highest level against the best under adverse conditions.

Who is more likely to perform well? You at 6' / 230# after weeks of nintendo, chili cheese fries and root beer? or you at 6' 200#, working out / running four times a week, and watching your diet to keep your blood sugar level. All those 20y sprints; who's likely to win? You or you carrying and extra 20#?

I have had classes with TJ and the Burner. I mention this because they are pioneers in preparation and taking the sport seriously. The depth Jerry went in talking about diet, excercise and prep was really impressive. Even if it doesn't make that much difference in raw scores, his confidence in knowing he is prepared is really solid. It was very validating that the top guys have explored every facet of our sport. It's not luck or raw talent alone.

I once read a book about tournament chess players. Now there's a high intensity sport for you. But it was clearly identified that most of the top GM's (they use that term too) had some sort of exercise, even just for diversion and relaxation after long days in the chair.

If you're serious about ANY sport, every detail matters. Yes, there are other things that may take precedence in learning IPSC, but if you are looking to improve match scores, especially in longer competitions, don't overlook being in better shape.

Jerry M, TGO, Taran...

Just some encouragement for those guys who are older or not as slim as they once were.

I'm not knocking being in shape one bit, just observing that some of the best can perform at the highest level in the sport and not be the slimest, or most fit.

• 3 months later...

For those who don't think IPSC and IDPA don't require speed, agility, and quickness, and a good overall physical fitness, you aren't analyzing the sport. Your watching the shooter not the body movements. I have seen overweight guys explode out the gate and move there feet on stages, but are tired half way through. In general, there minds tire as there body tires. I have also seen skinny guys never get tired throughout a big match, but lack speed and explosive leg strength required to be fast on field courses. Both cardio endurance and strength training improve a shooters performance. While you may not run 3 miles on a stage, the benefits to the body's efficiency can not be overlooked.

Training your muscles with fast switch exercises and core strength exercises will greatly enhance ones' performance. The trouble is, one must make up their mind how much time will be be devoted to practice or working out, and changing diapers.

For those interested in increasing your foot speed and explosiveness, read "Training for Speed, Agility, and Quickness", by Lee E. Brown and Vance A. Ferrigno.

I have greatly improved from these drills. I am faster and have recorded the times. Moving 5 yards to shooting position, springing out of a chair and sprinting 10 yards on a stage, running to squating position to shoot through a port and exploding back up, and droppng to prone and springing back up to move to another shooting position, and moving to kneeling position and getting up to another all sounds like atheletic movements to me.

Watch Dave Sevigny shoot a stage. Although he is not an average performer to use as an example, he has the hockey background to add to his game. His body movement and atheletic ability are just as impressive as his shooting abilities.

Face it, some people will find any reason not to work out, misguided or not.

I lost 70 pounds over the last 8 months and I can tell you that it helps a bunch.

No more knee pain, much smoother, no fatigue at the match, plus I never get hot at the match, even in 100+ degree weather.

I asked flyin 40 if my movement looked better after the first match of the year and he said, "there's no comparison, you're a different person!"

I knew after seeing myself on the super squad dvd that I had to lose the weight to gain some speed and agility, my goal finally had sufficient pay value.

(any goal that fails does so for lack of pay value)

I used the TGO reasoning for a long time to keep from losing the weight, but the DVD was the final straw...

SA

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure all the R.O.'s and MD"s and Props guys will agree with me that for REAL club level IPSC you need to be in good enough shape to get off your duff and help with setting up and tearing down, and yeah that includes lugging the poppers and the T' Star back to the shed!

The fitness level required to shoot well at IPSC is about the same as that needed for "sports" like golf and bowling.

Being severly out of shape, or having injuries or joint problems is another thing all together.

Yeah, but you can't drink beer while shooting IPSC, or shouldn't, anyway. <grin>

I see lot of folks, of all shapes, ages and sizes. More than a few are pretty large, which makes me scratch my head a bit when folks refer to themselves as "martial artists" because of IPSC: when "martial artist A" gets destroyed by "martial artist B" who comes in around 300lb, and chain smokes....um...

I understand the rational for the word, "artist." There IS art in a superb performance, whether an IPSC stage, a critical birdie, great game of pool under pressure, etc., etc., (although self-labling one's peformance as such might be a stretch).

But calling oneself a "martial artist," based exclusively on IPSC ability, is a bit of a stretch, I think -- especially if otherwise the person in question couldn't climb a flight of stairs w/out struggling and wheezing.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of you who are looking for a fitness regimine for IPSC ought to check out a book titles Combat Conditioning written by a gentleman named Matt Furey. There are is no weightlifting prescribed, just body weight calisthenics. Does wonders for speed, quickness, and flexibility...check it out!

From watching the really fast guys vs. the kinda fast guys on field courses, the big difference seems to be in how fast they can stop or change directions, more so than how fast they can take off or get going. The guys who can really handle the deceleration and direction changes are able to start shooting sooner.

That's my problem to a T on field courses. It takes me so long to set up after stopping to shoot a target I look like a pregnant baboon.