Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you use YOUR 308 based AR for?

JoshF

So I was looking at my brand new LR-308 Upper/Lower receiver set last night and wondering why I own this thing. Sure it's cool and the possibilities are endless but what is it REALLY useful for? I'd hate to put 4 grand into a rig that is only useful for making small groups and long distance. Is there any competitions that the 308 based (308, 260, 243, etc) AR's excel or even do well at? :unsure:

:surprise:

Heavy Metal Baby! Everybody has a limited set-up, but many are not brave (stupid???) enough to try HM. Get a cheap pump gun, and if you're like most shooters you already have a single stack .45. Build that JP in .308 and you'll be set.

With a .308, there is no bad calls on a MGM flasher. And you don't have to be as picky about where you hit a Texas Star to make a plate fall off it. It just may not be the plate you were aiming for!

I really enjoy HM. The only reason I even own a limited rifle in .223 is I hate to waste .308 on the local matches that only go to 100 yards.

Edited by Bryan 45

I bought a 20" JP LRP-07 when they first came out just because I wanted something larger than .223 in case I needed it for some reason and I wanted to see if I could hit anything at 1,000 yards. I'm happy to report that after a 1-day long range clinic I was reliably on paper [3'x4' piece of paper] at 1k yds. Mine was the only "gas gun" to hit the target at 1k.

I'm planning to go to Iron Man next year and will use it as my long range gun. As for maybe shooting HM, my shotgun shooting is slow enough already - the last thing I need to add is cocking :ph34r:

I got my LR308 for 2 reasons. One is I won a $500 gift certificate at a match and wanted to use it to get something a little different. Second, I wanted something for long range accuracy, mostly for the long range event at Ironman.

Actually, I used my 20" Bushmaster shooting 69 SMKs for my long range rifle at the last 3 Ironmen, and it was very satisfactory. Not sure I really need the 308 to make the long range hits. It should be better in the wind than a 223, though.

What I REALLY need of this LR308 is that it works. So far it's a jam-o-matic! I think it's a tight chamber problem, and DPMS is working with me on it, so I have high hopes for the future. :)

I can not understand why you think you might end up with 4 grand in it. I have $2500 in mine but that is with a GA Precision upper. You can easily build out a solid gun with your lower and have less than a grand in it since you own the lower and upper already.

For a long range setup I believe the 4k would be REAL easy actually..

Upper 175

Lower 300

LPK 75

carrier 100

bolt 110

Magpul PRS 225

Magpul MIAD 35

Buffer 25

JP Trigger 175

GA Barrel (308, 260 or 243) $450

PRI Handguard 325

Larue Mount 200

NightForce 3.5x15 1600

Total = $3795

Ok... so I'm $205 off BUT I've lefty out small stuff like gas blocks and completion kits for bolt/carrier... Also the GAP barreling is a wild guess. I think $4000 is not an impossible number to reach with optics for something that could potentially sit in the safe and do nothing. Heavy Metal really has little appeal to me as I have a bad wrist that makes shooting hard hitting guns (aka light weight w/no brake) quite painful. I'd like to use this in Long Range or Tactical competitions but haven't seen any where a bolt wouldn't be the supreme choice besides maybe IronMan.... I know I could build it as a super cheap built plinker but that's just against my nature :goof:

Oh, and I apologize for to totaling up thing... I try not to do this as is scares me sometimes too :o

Edited by JoshF

Don't look at the end price! It will only scare you off... Try it one piece at a time,, one piece at a time,,,When your "other" wants to know what all the stuff is for, Tell her it is for the kids- Then it will be ok! :rolleyes:

Oh... I have no "Other". It's not the overall cost of one rifle. I just have a stack of lowers/uppers that need built (shut up Leo).

I have a LR-308 18 inch heavy barrel,, I got, thinking I would use it playing HM..

But with the cost of 308, I decided to make it a long range gun. With a bigger higher power scope,, bipod,, and other stuff,, It is in parts in a box, I am getting the rest of the parts, this week I hope,, ( I too won a certificate and it has been 6 months of back order waiting to get all of the parts). :angry2: that is OK,,,, I like Free.

It will be my long range gun, I might put a Red DOT of some sort. I have 3 gun in my blood, and a 3+ power scope is just too much for close targets,, and you never know when Zombies might show up at a match. :ph34r::ph34r:

The jamb situation,, I have fixed this by shortening the OAL of my 308 loads. I had perfect 308 loads to the specifications in the book, it fit the chamber gauge, all Good to go,,, they still jammed,,, after consulting with my long range buddy (yoda long range master!!) he told me to shorten the OAL MORE!! The bullets are hanging up in the rifling, so far that has worked, when I get the gun all back together..

I will do more testing.

Jim M ammo

Ok... so I'm $205 off BUT I've lefty out small stuff

Magazines? Bipod? :)

There are some tactical matches with LR targets, but the improvement over heavy 223 bullets would be minimal.

You can save some on the scope and furniture, JP handguard instead of PRI, etc.

DPMS had some bad magazines recently causing jambs, but I am not sure how many or exactly when; check with them

Lee

Edited by lmccrock

It will be my long range gun, I might put a Red DOT of some sort. I have 3 gun in my blood, and a 3+ power scope is just too much for close targets,, and you never know when Zombies might show up at a match. :ph34r::ph34r:

I have a NF 5.5-22 x 50 and an Aimpoint Micro on my .308. The Aimpoint works really well on the handguard.

LRP-07FR.jpg

LRP-07R.jpg

Ok... so I'm $205 off BUT I've lefty out small stuff

Magazines? Bipod? :)

There are some tactical matches with LR targets, but the improvement over heavy 223 bullets would be minimal.

You can save some on the scope and furniture, JP handguard instead of PRI, etc.

DPMS had some bad magazines recently causing jambs, but I am not sure how many or exactly when; check with them

Lee

Ok, so $200 for a good bipod/qd setup and I do have some Magpul LR-20 mags on order but those are looking like vapor ware right now.

So far everything it can do that a bolt can't seems do-able with a 69 or 77gr out of a 223 which is WAY lighter.

"""""""So far everything it can do that a bolt can't seems do-able with a 69 or 77gr out of a 223 which is WAY lighter. """"

Very true,,the .308 just gives you more punch,,, on TGT and a bit more of ability to fight the wind. and helps you spend more money. :roflol::roflol:

we all need one more Gun!

Jim M ammo

I have a LR-308 18 inch heavy barrel,, I got, thinking I would use it playing HM..

But with the cost of 308, I decided to make it a long range gun. With a bigger higher power scope,, bipod,, and other stuff,, It is in parts in a box, I am getting the rest of the parts, this week I hope,, ( I too won a certificate and it has been 6 months of back order waiting to get all of the parts). :angry2: that is OK,,,, I like Free.

The jamb situation,, I have fixed this by shortening the OAL of my 308 loads. I had perfect 308 loads to the specifications in the book, it fit the chamber gauge, all Good to go,,, they still jammed,,, after consulting with my long range buddy (yoda long range master!!) he told me to shorten the OAL MORE!! The bullets are hanging up in the rifling, so far that has worked, when I get the gun all back together..

I will do more testing.

Jim M ammo

Hmm, the only way I could possibly hit the lands on mine is if I loaded one at a time in to the chamber. If I remember correctly, I can only load to 2.8 and still get them to fit in the magazines.

I can not understand why you think you might end up with 4 grand in it. I have $2500 in mine but that is with a GA Precision upper. You can easily build out a solid gun with your lower and have less than a grand in it since you own the lower and upper already.

For a long range setup I believe the 4k would be REAL easy actually..

Upper 175

Lower 300

LPK 75

carrier 100

bolt 110

Magpul PRS 225

Magpul MIAD 35

Buffer 25

JP Trigger 175

GA Barrel (308, 260 or 243) $450

PRI Handguard 325

Larue Mount 200

NightForce 3.5x15 1600

Total = $3795

Ok... so I'm $205 off BUT I've lefty out small stuff like gas blocks and completion kits for bolt/carrier... Also the GAP barreling is a wild guess. I think $4000 is not an impossible number to reach with optics for something that could potentially sit in the safe and do nothing. Heavy Metal really has little appeal to me as I have a bad wrist that makes shooting hard hitting guns (aka light weight w/no brake) quite painful. I'd like to use this in Long Range or Tactical competitions but haven't seen any where a bolt wouldn't be the supreme choice besides maybe IronMan.... I know I could build it as a super cheap built plinker but that's just against my nature :goof:

Oh, and I apologize for to totaling up thing... I try not to do this as is scares me sometimes too :o

Well excuse me. Since he already has the lower and the upper, he does not need to buy those items. The $1600 scope and the larue mount are not part of the weapon and the shooter could do like most of us do and use a great scope and mount they already own so as to not add to the cost. And while the furniture you price out looks good on the cover of a gun magazine, it does not do a single thing to make the gun shoot better. After we take off $475 for the upper and lower and $1800 for the scope and mount, using your prices (which look like full retail to me), the cost for him to build out the weapn is less than $2000 even if you throw in the parts you ignored (SAW Custom comp for $80) and some beer for your buddy who is going to help you assemble it. At least it would appear so according to my public school education math. :rolleyes:

Well excuse me. Since he already has the lower and the upper, he does not need to buy those items. The $1600 scope and the larue mount are not part of the weapon and the shooter could do like most of us do and use a great scope and mount they already own so as to not add to the cost. And while the furniture you price out looks good on the cover of a gun magazine, it does not do a single thing to make the gun shoot better. After we take off $475 for the upper and lower and $1800 for the scope and mount, using your prices (which look like full retail to me), the cost for him to build out the weapn is less than $2000 even if you throw in the parts you ignored (SAW Custom comp for $80) and some beer for your buddy who is going to help you assemble it. At least it would appear so according to my public school education math. :rolleyes:

Charles.. No need to excuse yourself. I was just explaining how I came up with the figure. I figured all the items in that list as I've shot a rifle setup very similar and was impressed with how it shot. The issue still stands.... what do you do with this rifle? So far I'm not seeing anything that says this is a must have besides if I chose to shoot heavy metal and then M1As still seem to do pretty good there and honestly I'd go that route if I were to use Irons. As a scoped rifle it seems pretty limited by the weight and barrel length needed to make a long range gun. If I were to go short barrel (less than 20") a 223 will do everything the same and weigh a few pounds less. As popular as these things have become and still are as shown by the lack of parts I figured there was something I didn't know. It's beginning to look like a rifle that's ok and everything and really good at nothing... Definitely not something that's at the top of my build list.

Edited by JoshF

Josh: Like yourself I saw no need for one and did not build one for years. But like every other ADD shooter who has had a mid life crisis every year since his 16th birthday, sooner or later I just had to have it and getting a deal on about 10K rds of 308 made the urge one I could not resist. Why did I decide to break down and do it, about the best answer I can give you is the post immediately above.

Edited by Charles Bond

Josh: Like yourself I saw no need for one and did not build one for years. But like every other ADD shooter who has had a mid life crisis every year since his 16th birthday, sooner or later I just had to have it and getting a deal on about 10K rds of 308 made the urge one I could not resist. Why did I decide to break down and do it, about the best answer I can give you is the post immediately above.

Understood... I think I'll just hold on to the receiver set I have for when that urge kicks in :cheers: