Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

would you buy a Quality M&P aftermarket barrel?

Sean Gaines

I shoot the standard 9mm and .45 ACP M&Ps.. mostly in IDPA, a little USPSA. They are more than accurate enough for the task at hand. Might try one after I wear these out... but I suspect that by then the gun (frame/slide/barrel lock up) would also be worn out and an aftermarket barrel would be little help.

Chris Christian

I see an M&P in my future for my step-daughter. My main concern is I'm running 147's out of my Glocks and have read some info on BE that the barrel twist on M&P's can be problematical with 147's. That would why I would look at an aftermarket barrel. Then I could use the same ammo through both, or at the very least the same reloading components.

Friday,

I run 147 out of my 4 1/4 inch M&P... Hornady 147 FMJ at 880 fps.. have 8000-9000 rounds through the gun. Kicks like a .22 LR... groups 2.5 inch at 25 yards.. and that's as good as ANY other factory load I have tried (and I've tried over a dozen of them). Even Rainer plated 147s are good for three inches. The 147 grain Cor-Bon performance Match (too expensive to shoot for practice... but great for matches) is in the same 2.5 inch range as my reloads. I can't see a problem with 147s in my standard 4 1/4 inch gun...have State, Regional and National IDPA trophies on the wall with them .....haven't accuracy tested them in the five inch guns.

Chris Christian

I see an M&P in my future for my step-daughter. My main concern is I'm running 147's out of my Glocks and have read some info on BE that the barrel twist on M&P's can be problematical with 147's. That would why I would look at an aftermarket barrel. Then I could use the same ammo through both, or at the very least the same reloading components.

I've had nothing but success with 147s so far, but it's only been AA&A with the Zero 147 and some Speer GDHP 147s (that's what goes in the wifey's Kahr PM9). The AA&A stuff is like 1.25" at 25yds and the Speer seemed quite accurate but I didn't really shoot groups with it.

Honestly, we all know that there are still some issues with at least some M&P's as far as extraction goes. I'd like to see Mike make an AET barrel for the Pro. The slight chamber flutes and high polish would probably make the extraction issue a non-factor for problem guns and I'm sure it'd be crazy accurate.

I've offered up my Pro as a test mule...now let's just hope it happens. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Don't believe everything you read or hear. My PRO won't group MG 124's worth a crap but it shoots very good groups with their 147's. I will be sticking to 147's of some type for mine.

I get good accuracy with 147 grain bullets, lead, moly and MG through my standard M&P. It also likes 124 grain MG and Berry plated and it will not group any style of 124-125 grain lead. I guess they all are a little different.

I voted no on the barrel, it is good enough for this sport and I will probably never come close to wearing it out as the M&P is my back up for production.

Big ditto on the .22 conversion kits. Right now, I'm happy with my stock .40 barrel. It eats everything that I throw at it. I wouldn't want to go to a tighter chambered barrel, that may cause new issues that I don't currently experience.

9mm suitable for open class. (comp'ed) Hey, just to be different...

Open DIVISION

Nemo, I hear ya!!! But wouldn't any Group of hanguns built for a certain Division be considered a "class" of handguns???? :rolleyes: Thread drift pending.................................

looking at the poll, the majority of people don't really think the factory barrel is as good as it could be.

I absolutely agree. The stock barrel on my Pro was very much lacking in the accuracy dept. (4"+ groups at 25yds at best), and the velocity was even a little slower than my 4-1/4" M&P. A drop-in Storm Lake barrel brought the accuracy into the 2-3" range, and increased the velocity about 50 fps.

I'd be curious to see if a gunsmith-fit barrel would actually further improve accuracy over a drop-in aftermarket barrel on a gun like the M&P... which has some kinda loose fitting tolerances overall.

I have a storm lake in my M&P.

The factory barrel is pretty accurate, and the storm lake is only a bit better regarding accuracy. However, the storm lake is a faster barrel and is nice and shiny. I didn't feel like playing the S&W QC game with it and just replaced my barrel that was having some issues.

If someone else made a barrel that had to be fit by a smith, it would have to be demonstrably better than the storm lake barrel to justify paying for the barrel and getting it fit and chambered.