Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

would you buy a Quality M&P aftermarket barrel?

Sean Gaines

Not sure if it's an anomoly or what , but I know of 2 M&P's that will keyhole 147 molys.They havent tried others, so I dont know if it's just those bullets or what.

The limited research I've done has the common denominator of Clays in tumbling 147 grain loads, not only in M&Ps but also in CZs. My guess at this point is that there are other problems in those loads, but that's only a guess. When I tried Clays with 147 LFPs in my Beretta, I had the same problem.

Not sure if it's an anomoly or what , but I know of 2 M&P's that will keyhole 147 molys.They havent tried others, so I dont know if it's just those bullets or what.

The limited research I've done has the common denominator of Clays in tumbling 147 grain loads, not only in M&Ps but also in CZs. My guess at this point is that there are other problems in those loads, but that's only a guess. When I tried Clays with 147 LFPs in my Beretta, I had the same problem.

I haven't been able to make 147gr to work on my M&P Pro. I think is the barrel twist. I talked to Mike C. and he said maybe one day but I don't know where he is at on making barrels for M&P...

I haven't been able to make 147gr to work on my M&P Pro. I think is the barrel twist. I talked to Mike C. and he said maybe one day but I don't know where he is at on making barrels for M&P...

S&W .38/.357 revolvers use the same rate of twist, and stabilize 200 grain bullets at <600 fps (the old "Super Police" load). I don't know what the problem is, but it's not the rate of twist.

S&W .38/.357 revolvers use the same rate of twist, and stabilize 200 grain bullets at <600 fps (the old "Super Police" load). I don't know what the problem is, but it's not the rate of twist.

That and plenty of people with the same twist barrel are getting excellent accuracy with 147s in their Pros (like mine) so it's got to be an individual barrel/load combo that isn't working rather than the twist rate. R,

The most accurate load I've run through my Pro so far is 4 grains of Titegroup behind a Hornady 124 grain XTP bullet, which prints about 2" at 25 yards.

My "standard" load is the same, except using Zero 125 grain jhp, which prints slightly larger groups.

AA 147 grain came in third place for accuracy.

I tried some Montana Gold 125 grain CMJs with 4 grains of Titegroup and they were horrible--4" to 5" groups.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a M&P 9mm Pro and have only shot about 500 rounds through it. I have been shooting 147 grain lead and have not seen it key-hole yet. Barrel seems to be plenty accurate but a Schuemann barrel would make it better. I also think a high quality .22 conversion would be great.

No problem with leading shooting Moly 147's here. It cleans up as easy as it did after MG's were put through it. BUT I will say the gun as a whole is a lot dirtier with the moly's and solo1000 than it ever was with MG's and TG. Just plain filthy after only one match! Not sure if it is the bullets or the powder but I thought I read solo1000 was clean? Oh well I keep it clean anyway.

I have also never had any bullet keyhole out of my PRO.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone actually done an objective test on aftermarket barrel accuracy???

I get good accuracy out of a factory barrel (ragged holes off-hand at USPSA distances) shooting 147s. Just over an inch at 15 yards.

Are the after-market barrels 50% more accurate? Twice as accurate? Do they vary, barrel by barrel?

Thanks,

Jeff

I bought a SL for my 9L. There was no difference in accuracy or across the chrono.

I would only be interested in the aftermarket barrel if it were a gunsmith fit. I might take my SL and do some welding to see if accuracy improves with a better lockup.

Another +1 for the .22 conversion kit.

Jeff, I have two aftermarket Storm Lake barrels in my 4in and my 9L, both 9mm.

There was a marked difference in accuracy when I benched them indoors last winter with a couple of loads.

They were the drop in barrels.

I will try to find targets or shoot some comparison targets. There was a big difference with my match ammo, and I am happy with the Storm Lake barrels.

The groups were a cluster pattern with some flyers, and went to one ragged hole with the Storm lake barrel. This is with my ammo, not commercially available stuff, if that matters.

DougC

Has anyone actually done an objective test on aftermarket barrel accuracy???

I get good accuracy out of a factory barrel (ragged holes off-hand at USPSA distances) shooting 147s. Just over an inch at 15 yards.

Are the after-market barrels 50% more accurate? Twice as accurate? Do they vary, barrel by barrel?

Thanks,

Jeff

My guess is it's simply going to vary based upon how well the particular barrel fits your gun. If they were gunsmith fit, then it would depend mostly on how well they're fit to the gun. R,