Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using a decocker CZ?

elenius

Neither of us is really comfortable with the idea of decocking by pulling the trigger, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any experiences with running a decocker CZ. Thinking of the getting the CZ 75 BD. My main concerns are

1) How good can you get trigger on these? I read that the decocker triggers aren't as nice as the non-decocker ones. Still better than e.g. a glock trigger?

2) Someone claimed to be hitting the decocker with his right thumb while shooting. Any ergonomic/functional/other problems like that?

As I understand it, when you decock it, it will go to half-cock, so the first (DA) shot is from half-cock. With a non-decocker one, you have to completely lower the hammer. So the first shot should actually be better on the DA version, right?

Neither of us is really comfortable with the idea of decocking by pulling the trigger, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any experiences with running a decocker CZ. Thinking of the getting the CZ 75 BD. My main concerns are

1) How good can you get trigger on these? I read that the decocker triggers aren't as nice as the non-decocker ones. Still better than e.g. a glock trigger?

2) Someone claimed to be hitting the decocker with his right thumb while shooting. Any ergonomic/functional/other problems like that?

As I understand it, when you decock it, it will go to half-cock, so the first (DA) shot is from half-cock. With a non-decocker one, you have to completely lower the hammer. So the first shot should actually be better on the DA version, right?

trigger on a decocker can be made as good as a non decocker gun, not hard to do. the gun is a little harder to get into, but still not a big deal.

if wanting to go to a CZ comp hammer.. that is where the expense is..the hammer needs to be modified.

decock is the half cock, non-decocker gun all the way down.

shorter, not better though. no big deal on a tricked up gun.

I'm no expert, but I used a 75BD for a couple of years, before I switched to revolver. I had Mike at CZ USA do the trigger, and it's good, but not great. There is a tiny bit of creep (that I don't notice unless I'm off the clock and shooting for tight groups). However, and I'm sure eerw can correct me if I'm wrong, there is a lot of pre-travel. I called CZ Custom, and I think they told me that the pre-travel was necessary for the firing pin block, and it wouldn't be safe to remove the firing pin block on a decocker gun.

That said I love the gun, and the some safety officers really seem to appreciate the decocker.

Edited by sprout

• 4 weeks later...

If you use a standard IPSC high thumbs grip and ride the decocker (like most of us ride the safety) at all, the gun WILL NOT FIRE. I don't ride the safety on my guns with much pressure, but the decocker CZ's just don't work with my grip.

My SP-01 is a decocker model...I changed the mainspring to one of the lighter ones Angus sells at CZ Custom and have been very pleased with that one change to the action. Add competition sights and thin aluminum grips and it's very comfortable to shoot. The trigger on my gun is not as "fine" as some custom CZ trigger jobs, yet it far better than a plastic gun trigger.

On the vast majority of shots on most courses of fire, I have not noted any perceptible difference between my decocker and the safety model with a custom trigger job I borrowed and shot for a few months prior to buying my own SP-01. On those long, tight shots where the shooter needs to concentrate on the finer trigger manipulations (and off the clock group shooting) I can notice a difference. Nonetheless, the difference is nothing that familiarization and practice cannot ameliorate.

My girlfriend runs a CZ 75 BD. I had the sights and trigger done by Matt Mink for her. The trigger is excellent - blows a glock out of the water. Actually, the SA is so light I can't prep the trigger.

Edited by M4Super90

• 2 weeks later...
Question for you guys with CZ *D guns. If you hold a CZ decocker equipped pistol in your left hand, how hard is it to operate the (left side) decocker with your thumb?

Difficult, unless your thumb has one more joint than mine.

I would think that just changing the main spring to a 15# and putting a flat mag brake in a decocker would make it a pretty good gun for any beginner. My wife likes her gun 75BD, it has a 13# + the Angus hammer. She stages the trigger on first shot and hits an A most of the time.

The only other gun I have picked up and shot that impressed me was an M&P Pro, had a good trigger right out of the box. Tried a lot of other so called producction guns and the triggers were trash (XD etc).

The SP01 has more weight up front to help with flip.

Question for you guys with CZ *D guns. If you hold a CZ decocker equipped pistol in your left hand, how hard is it to operate the (left side) decocker with your thumb?

I am of right mind and I am thinking of removing the right hand side decocker lever (operated by left thumb) on a SP-01 Tactical by switching it with a left side only 75D lever for the following reasons:

1. It enables me to have a higher grip without risk of activating the decock mechanism. For me, this happens maybe 1:500 times when the grip position and left thumb pressure are just so that as I pull the trigger, the decocking mechanism is activated. When I try to reproduce it by dry firing, it "never" happens. This is often enough that I want to address it on a competition gun by removing the decock lever on the right side of the gun.

2. Decock lever is not like a safety lever that I use as I bring the gun up to the firing position. It is used (at least in competition) during the LAMR command and really no where else. As a lefty, I can readily swing your thumb over to the left side of gun or use my right hand to activate the decocker. Slightly inconvenient but something most lefties can do this type of activity as part of adapting to a world dominated by the left brained majority.

So in my opinion, if you are using a 75D today, you are not at any disadvantage in Production Division or SSP with the left sided only decocker lever.

• 3 months later...

I am of right mind and I am thinking of removing the right hand side decocker lever (operated by left thumb) on a SP-01 Tactical by switching it with a left side only 75D lever for the following reasons:

1. It enables me to have a higher grip without risk of activating the decock mechanism. For me, this happens maybe 1:500 times when the grip position and left thumb pressure are just so that as I pull the trigger, the decocking mechanism is activated. When I try to reproduce it by dry firing, it "never" happens. This is often enough that I want to address it on a competition gun by removing the decock lever on the right side of the gun.

2. Decock lever is not like a safety lever that I use as I bring the gun up to the firing position. It is used (at least in competition) during the LAMR command and really no where else. As a lefty, I can readily swing your thumb over to the left side of gun or use my right hand to activate the decocker. Slightly inconvenient but something most lefties can do this type of activity as part of adapting to a world dominated by the left brained majority.

So in my opinion, if you are using a 75D today, you are not at any disadvantage in Production Division or SSP with the left sided only decocker lever.

Im a left handed guy that uses PCR for local IDPA type shooting. the decoker lever "on the wrong side" works out great for me.