Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

State Fair food: deep fried butter

A finalist in the Texas State Fair competition has entered deep fried butter.

Scoops of pure butter the size of golf balls are frozen and covered with dough and dropped into the deep fryer. Bite into a ball and melted butter pours out.

Would you try it?

I cannot imagine biting into something and having melted butter come out; that is just too much for me. Another contestant is making deep fried mini pecan pies; I would be ALL OVER that, in fact all the other finalists entries look good. But butter? No.

Lee

Funny. I recall a comedian talking about fattening fair foods, and ordering funnel cakes, cotton candy, and "deep fried lard on a stick" as the punch line. That was some years ago. Now, there really IS such a thing. Is it a coincidence that the advertising beside the article is for "Texas Health Resources" with the picture of the guy in surgical scrubs? Is he supposed to be a heart doc correcting the blockage afterward? What the heck, I'd try it just so I could see the look on my doc's face during my check up when he says, "So, how have you been eating lately?"

Thats all we need deep fried butter, isn't this country fat enough?

While high fat content food is certainly high in calories, the thing that's putting all that weight on people is the sugars (primarily), starches (especially the fried starches), and breads (especially the fried breads).

Deep fried butter is just frickin' disgusting, though... :sick:

The hot new item this year at the Wisconsin State Fair was "Chocolate covered bacon on a stick"

Typical Wisconsin...a year behind ;)

The "chocolate covered bacon on a stick" was the new deal at LAST year's Minnesota State Fair.

I ate some last year. Ah...not bad, but nothing I would order again.

This year I finally tried the old standby that I had (thus far) been avoiding...deep fried Snickers bar...on a stick. Damn. It was quite tasty. Liota even liked it! We did not, however, care for the deep fried Oreos (in a bowl).

Now, Key Lime Pie (on a stick)...that is good eatin' right there, I don't care who ya are :D

Alex

While high fat content food is certainly high in calories, the thing that's putting all that weight on people is the sugars (primarily), starches (especially the fried starches), and breads (especially the fried breads).

Dave your willingness to battle the uphill tide of nutritional misinformation is admirable .... too bad there are entire industries that have a stake in keeping up with the BS.

As to what sounds like it amounts to a wonderfully delightful buttered scone on a stick, I would have to give it a whirl :P

Edited by smokshwn

Deep fried butter is just frickin' disgusting, though... :sick:

I have lost 40 pounds since February using the south beach diet and haven't had bread or high carb food since,

The next booth over was selling deep fried Lipitor...

65% of America Overweight...

34% of America Obese...

14% of America MORBIDLY Obese...

50% of all graduating HS Seniors more than 20lbs overweight...

And me, running a school teaching new Personal Trainers.

Future business looks good!

JeffWard

One According to Jim episode had Jim and Randy eating Shame Sticks - sticks of butter on a popsicle stick rolled in sugar. Gawd.

To answer your question, Lee. Nope. I tried the fried cheese cake bites at Arby's and hated them. Cold foods are eaten cold for a reason.

Edited by Steve J