Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I hate going to the doctor....

GrumpyOne

That I'm NOT on any medication. Been feeling a little weird lately, couldn't put my finger on it. So, my wife convinced me to got the Doc. Turns out, I've been living for Type II Diabetes for several months. Now I have to take all kinds of scrips, watch very closely what I eat, and stab my finger twice a day. I don't have to take insulin shots (yet! :D ), but if it doesn't come down to decent level within a month or so, I might have to start. Bad thing is, I apparently have already gotten a bit of kidney damage from having it so long ( so long being 3-6 months )without knowing it.

... Bad thing is, I apparently have already gotten a bit of kidney damage from having it so long ( so long being 3-6 months )without knowing it.

My doctor once told me that the kidneys are so efficient that they can still work when 90% damaged, and until they get to that level you may never even notice a symptom... It's pretty amazing... Imagine a car that would function with 90% failures (come to think of it, I think I may be driving one).

Good luck with your treatment..

I was diagnosed with Type II 12 yrs ago when I turned 40. Doc asked if I was upset. I said nope; there are worse things out there.

Take care of yourself. After 10 years I changed from my primary care doc to one who specializes in diabetes. BIG change. Changed meds, closer watch on diet,... results so far in 18 months... A1C in mid-5's and down close to 60 lbs. She's eliminated 1 med and reduced others.

Diet and exercise... diet and exercise.

Edited by pas44

At 43 I've had type 1 for 22 years. A few lifestyle changes and the outlook can improve greatly! The real bitch about diabetes is you can ignore it today and not drop dead tomorrow, but a few years down the you could be paying the price. Keep your head up, stick to your plan and you'll be feeling better than you have in years, soon!

I've had type 1 diabetes for... well crap, over 40 years now. I've only had pretty minor complications (numbness in two toes and several surgeries to my eyes) which I attribute to having exercised and been involved in sports my whole life. The disease has limited how well I can do some things like long distance running/hiking and due to the vision issues how well I do in this sport but hey, I was never going to be an elite triathlete or Robby anyways. Keep active, keep active, keep active.

Not sure if this will help but I have always said I am a person with diabetes, never that I am a diabetic. For some reason the second statement was always felt disempowering. Made me feel like some type of victim and that being a diabetic was all that I was. Viewing myself as a person who has and deals with my diabetes like I deal with work, taxes, and lack of primers gives me a much more positive approach to this.

Best of luck to you. If I can help in any way or you just want to vent about it (you will) drop me a pm.

Rick

edited because apparently people with diabetes type faster than they think. Ha!

Edited by Neomet

my pop has DII.

he didnt know it, till he had to take a blood test for something or another.......

he has to take 2 shots in the belly every day for his insulin.

thru very strict diet, he has been able to help signifigantly not having to "shoot up" and loosing weight..... along with his colestoral (sp) going down.

my pop isnt a person who sits down all day either. he still is swinging a hammer.... has been for over 30 years now. hes 60 now. its funny anyone can get it practically. hes very fit for his age, but hey it happens.

My Grandmother was diagnosed as Type 1 when she was 14, she died when she was 94! I know it's totally controllable (just from my family history alone!), and, as a friend of mine who just had prostate cancer surgery said, " Hey, ya gotta have something!" So I'm gonna try to have a good outlook on this, gives me a real reason to lose weight now!

Edit to add: The doc did say that it was caught early enough that there wasn't any nerve damage done. As a journal of how I'm doing, I'll post my count periodically. Right now, I haven't started any treatment yet, and it's a 270 average over the last 3 months. I start treatment tomorrow morning.

Edited by GrumpyOne

My Grandmother was diagnosed as Type 1 when she was 14, she died when she was 94! I know it's totally controllable (just from my family history alone!), and, as a friend of mine who just had prostate cancer surgery said, " Hey, ya gotta have something!" So I'm gonna try to have a good outlook on this, gives me a real reason to lose weight now!

Edit to add: The doc did say that it was caught early enough that there wasn't any nerve damage done. As a journal of how I'm doing, I'll post my count periodically. Right now, I haven't started any treatment yet, and it's a 270 average over the last 3 months. I start treatment tomorrow morning.

It ain't over by a long shot! There is still much that can be done. Yes meds are important for now to keep your body regulated, but with all honesty, making changes in your diet, losing weight and regular exercise will not only make you feel better but will also improve your shooting! With time and these changes, you and your doctor should be able to lower the dosages and even stop some of the medications that you require, not to mention prevent many of the complications associated with diabetes... hang in there and stay on top of things, it can be a little overwhelming at first and frustrating, but it will be worth it once you start seeing the little victories turn into big wins! :cheers:

Meds doing ok..Shot in my local match tonight, first time in months (Range had been closed, new owners). Eight 4" steel squares at 20 and 25 yards, three stages, total of 24 targets. We limit all mags to 6 rounds so that revo's can compete, so mandatory reload on every stage, with only 3 mags each stage allowed. Shot a 57.42, no penalties, clean. Closest competitor was 5.5 seconds behind me. Had a jam on one stage that cost me a few seconds....

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I updated this so, here goes. Average sugar level down to 107-115 fasting, lost 45 lbs, doc says I'm doing great. It really hasn't been all that hard, dealing with using no sugar, just an adjustment. Feel better, look better than I have in quite a while. May be able to get off some the meds when I go back to the doc in February. :D

pard....

ask your doctor about byeta....

it is a drug that you take from a preloaded pen - originally made from gila monster spit!

it has changed this 22+ year type 2 diabetic.

it curbs your appetite, make your medicine more effective - it has really helped me.

i live in the diabetic capitol of the us - san antonio.

my doctors at the diabetes and glandular disease center were one of the original testing centers...

and they use it very aggressively... will prescribe to type 1's as well as type 2's. it was developed for type 2's.

(my bro-in-law in phx, atype 1 was told no way my his doctor.) one of my friends - a type1 here reduced his insulin by 75%...

pm if you want to talk....

ad

san antonio

Wean yourself off the carbs brother. Add good amounts of monosaturated fat. Lose the grains, potatoes, corn, peas, and sugar. Eat lean meats, vegetables, and some fruits. Load up on the fish oil...10-15 grams a day.

Since you are a Type 2...

Jake gave you the best "bang for the buck information".

It' very, very doable. And very comfortable. And very healthy but it is un-American.

Jake might look at it a bit differently but from my perspective "The Paleo Diet" by Loren Cordain covers what Jake said.

Edited by Viggen

Wean yourself off the carbs brother. Add good amounts of monosaturated fat. Lose the grains, potatoes, corn, peas, and sugar. Eat lean meats, vegetables, and some fruits. Load up on the fish oil...10-15 grams a day.

Since you are a Type 2...

Jake gave you the best "bang for the buck information".

It' very, very doable. And very comfortable. And very healthy but it is un-American.

Jake might look at it a bit differently but from my perspective "The Paleo Diet" by Loren Cordain covers what Jake said.

Been doing all that. It seems that the potatoes corn, peas, etc., don't make my sugar skyrocket as bad as some of the other family members with this disease, but rice, cookies, etc. will make it jump dramatically. Especially rice. I have always ate fish at least twice a week since as far back as I can remember, most of it caught by me! ^_^ I'll try and post some pics of the fish when I can.

pard....

ask your doctor about byeta....

it is a drug that you take from a preloaded pen - originally made from gila monster spit!

it has changed this 22+ year type 2 diabetic.

it curbs your appetite, make your medicine more effective - it has really helped me.

i live in the diabetic capitol of the us - san antonio.

my doctors at the diabetes and glandular disease center were one of the original testing centers...

and they use it very aggressively... will prescribe to type 1's as well as type 2's. it was developed for type 2's.

(my bro-in-law in phx, atype 1 was told no way my his doctor.) one of my friends - a type1 here reduced his insulin by 75%...

pm if you want to talk....

ad

san antonio

+1 on Byetta. My doc took me off Actos because I couldn't lose weight regardless of what I did.

Byetta in combination with metformin has worked for me.

Damn, just feel like I'm too damn young for this....

My step-daughter was diagnosed at 7 years old. She'll be 16 next week. Main thing is to keep your diet regulated!! She doesn't, and has constant complications. The doctor finally told her after her last stint in the hostpital that if she wanted to live long enough to have children that she MUST start taking better care of herself through proper diet and exercise.

Diabetes is a sh!++y disease to have, but not the end of the world. Being diagnosed as an adult and having the resolve to be disciplined is in your favor. I wish you luck and will keep you in my prayers.