Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TV show called "Hoarders" on A&E

redwoods

I am not a hoarder, I am a diligent preplanner and retainer of various consumable items. For example I am still using Tupperware I bought in 1975 or the CCI small pistol primers I just dug out priced at $9.99 a 1000 only have 6K left. One of these days I need to inventory that storage shed. I just received 3000 40 bullets from Montana Gold and discovered another shed has 12,000 Precesion Data, 6,000 Precision Moly, 3,000 Zero 230gr and 3,000 Montana Gold and 3,000 Zero 9MM and 4,000 223 bullets and a 5 gallon bucket of Lake City brass.

It is hell getting old and not remembering things.

That show is AWESOME!

You guys have no idea. Imagine your house floor completely covered in stuff. All kinds of stuff.

Boxes stacked to the ceiling that have things in them that you can't let go of. Weird stuff.

One lady had a refrigerator and freezer filled with food that had expired, like by years, and refused to get rid of it because she "had a cast iron stomach and it does not affect me".

i use to think I was a packrat. No way. not even close. I'm just disorganized and messy. :)

There used to be a small number of mobile homes across the highway from me next to the river. The city bought them out and turned that area into a park due to the flood problems we have had there.

One of the trailers had been owned by a lady that had passed a couple years prior with no family that could be located. Two others had been infested with drug dealers, meth cookers, etc. who had been hauled off by the local drug task force...hence the desire for the city to get rid of the problem.

The city obtained your typical LARGE construction debris dumpster from the local hauling company and started to empty out the trailer contents. The trailers themselves had been sold for salvage but they had to be stripped. The trailer with the lady that had passed filled the dumpster all on its own. Now, this was a single-wide trailer and the dumpster wasn't that much smaller than the trailer! She had slowly collected stuff until a room was entirely full from floor to ceiling. The bed was so stacked with newspapers and stuff that the mattress, box spring and frame had collapsed. In the end, she was living in her recliner with only a tiny path back to the bathroom. Her meals came from meals on wheels (as evidenced by the billion or so of those containers that had been washed and stacked. Why the meals on wheels folks let her continue to live like that remains a mystery.

kimel's story brings this one to mind: I was in college at the time in Washington State and lived next door to a house (two houses on the property) to a very ordinary woman who had a very ordinary looking late-model sedan, who had a very ordinary drone job with the State and who came and went quietly each day, sometimes even said hello. But one day I noticed that large garbage bags were piling up in her carport (had she quit paying the garbage bill...?) and so called the landlady... who came by to check out the situation. The tenant was at work at the time but the two landladies and I were there when landlady No. 1 entered the house. I'll never forget the look on her face when she quickly came back out--she was white as a sheet. And she said something about not being able to describe what she saw in the house......

But she eventually did describe it: Apparently the smell was overwhelming, there were boxes and bags of reeking trash EVERYWHERE, her cats and one dog had urinated (and other things) all over the house to the point where the carpet was squishy, and the kitchen appliances were so soiled it was questionable whether they could even be salvaged. It was beyond hoarding... but indeed it was a form of hoarding.

When questioned about it, the tenant said something about being a little depressed (God, I guess so!!!!). The landlady, having a Masters in psychology and practicing her craft for a living, said to me, "Heck, when I get 'depressed' I usually frantically clean house!!" Ditto here. School was over right after that and I moved to another location, so never heard the follow-up to this messy case of hoarding and neglect. All the landlady knew was that she'd have to all but gut and rebuild the house in order to salvage it and/or continue to rent it. :ph34r:

My mother-in-law is a disposophobe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsive_hoarding). It became abundantly clear when we found about 700 plastic Redi-whip containers in one of her storage sheds. When asked she said that she might need one some day.....Her house is not totally crammed full, but you better be careful opening a closet door....

I can't say I really hoard anything since I don't have the money to do so but I really don't like it when our local gunshops here in town get a new shipment of ammo and some wealthy hoarders come and take it all by the cases. I usually go in there asking for either 38 super or Black Hills 223 and their like "oh, we had some but so-n-so took it all". I understand everyone needs to make money so the gun shops sell what they can when they can but come on...leave some for everyone.