Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Or Sv 9mm For Idpa

Nick Weidhaas

Since I last posted inquiring about the 952, I started to think that a STI 5.0 Eagle, 9mm (w/bushing) might be the best 1911 type design choice for ESP. I expect reloads may be faster than with a single stack (tapered mag into big mag-well). More money than a Kimber or S&W 952 though. Glock 34 or 17 is same concept, but they don't point well for me.

Anyone shooting one of these 9mm STI 5.0 Eagles in ESP? Feedback?

Thanks,

Nick-

Check with Matt Burkett..I believe he shoots an SV cross competitor for IDPA..I saw one and it is pretty nice..

www.mattburkett.com

there is a photo there under his listings of guns he uses

I am using an STI bushing gun in 38 Super. Its the widebody grip with the singlestack mag inserts. Works like a charm. And if I want to shoot high caps I can just swap out grips.

Once this barrel, a Schuemann AET, is shot out I am going to replace it with a 9x19 Kart.

I know several guys that shoot S*I 9mm double stacks in ESP. I've shot Matt Burkett's gun and handled a few others. I liked the idea enough to place an order for an SVI Cross Competitor in 9mm. Hopefully it won't be too much longer until it's ready. :)

The key seems to be getting the magazines tuned to run and lock the slide back every time. As well as loading the ammo appropriately for a precision machine. Most IPSC guys already know how to feed a S*I, but many IDPA folks are more used to Glocks and Berettas that are a lot more forgiving.

There are a couple guys on this board with S*I 9mm's. Hopefully they'll see the thread. Also I posted a similar thread several months ago. Try a search for my posts.

Why not use a .40 STI? By just having a second recoil spring and bigger magwell, you can double it as an L10 gun. Get a couple high caps and you also can compete in Limited.

Honestly speaking, I wish my STI's weren't Long Wide dust covers, 'cause I'd be usin' them in IDPA :angry:

I have one of the Burkett Cross comp guns. I have not regretted the expense what so ever. I started shooting IDPA in Feb of this year with a G17. After shooting a SVI a couple of times, I knew I had to have one. It took a while to catch up with the speed of the pistol when I first started shooting it. I would call Matt and talk to him on a regular basis to pick his brain. Matt is a first class guy who doesnt mind talking to new guys. I won first place ESP/MM at the nationals with my SV and got bumped up to SS. I have been consistanly beating other SS and EX shooters at local matches with an occasional MA thrown in. The only thing better than having one SV, is having two. I just bought a Limited .40 to start shooting USPSA matches. I look forward to higher round counts and avoiding the dreaded FTDR. Sandy,Tami, and Len great to deal with at Infinity. Get one and dont look back.

• 2 weeks later...
Why not an STI in .40, then get a 38 super barrel and mags? Benny Hill said something about this in another thread

Why not just get a .40 and skip the .38 super barrel? With the right load, you can get a 135pf .40 to be just as light as a .38super, IMO.

Nick,

You'll also need to get mags and a barrel. If you reload, try the following before making the investment in 38 super conversion:

Load 180 grain bullets with 3.2 grains of Clays at whatever your SV length is (I use 1.180. Put in a 9 pound recoil spring. Go shoot it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

These are quasi-averages of the data published by Remington on their website. The calibers are averages of the various bullet weights excluding high pressure rounds (+P).

The format is Caliber, Barrel length, Power factor.

38spl 4" - 110

9mm 4" - 135

38SA 4" - 150

357Sig 4" - 168

40S&W 4" - 180

45ACP 5" - 190

10mm 5" - 200

So my question is, how would you group the calibers?

Bucky,

Thanks, I'll give your .40 recipe a try.

JasonK, not sure what you're looking for with your question regarding grouping? I'm not a big power factor fan as I put a lot more into shot placement than pf. All calibers come in at their own pf and it is up to the individual to decide what suits him/her. I'm getting a gun her for a game. I'm just trying to match the best equipment to the game I'm shooting. IDPA Enhanced Service Pistol division requires a 125pf minimum. So a 130pf is where to be if your interested in keeping recoil and muzzle flip down. If you are not interested about the competition side of IDPA and just want to get some quality trigger time with your carry gun, what pf your ammo is doesn't really matter.

Kraut, you lost me. Sorry.

Nick-