Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 Gap (glocks New Offering)

Flexmoney

As an option for Glock customers, I think it's a good thing. I have short fingers and the 20 and 21 are just a bit much for me. A small frame Glock 45 with high capacity is a great idea. If the idea sticks, or if I can trim 45ACP brass in bulk to fit - I may be a future owner.

Conversely, I can see why 45ACP owners are going to hate it. Brass sorting will become an impossible task, especially if yutzes like me are going to trim brass to load for it. If it does become popular, the world's easiest cartridge to load for will become a friggin' nightmare. Can you imagine what a PITA it will be if you had a case feeder and had to unjam the priming station every 38 seconds? Actually, you'll probably blow a lot of primers in the process.

OK, now I hate it... :P

G-I-M-M-I-C-K

Here's why: I'm a newbie with small hands. I want a Glock because it's cool. I hear .45 is the best caliber 'cause it makes bigger holes. I buy a Glock 37.

IMO, that's the target audience and Glock's ideal scenario.

Maybe some people that think that way without it being a newbie issue, but it's STILL gimmicky in my opinion. The "bigger hole" phenomenon is the driving force behind it.

I'll stick with .40 for all my needs, thanks.

Hi guys,

I hate to admit it but it looks like my Uber-Hero, His Royal Perfectionist and Grand Pubah Gaston Glock, has made a major foo-foo with the release of the Glock 37.

When I first saw and handled it at SHOT Show 2003 in Orlando, the gun had a Glock 17 size frame and slide, but it was obviously chambered for the 45GAP. It seemed like a fabulous solution for those who found that the G21 frame was too large.

I now understand that they've changed the G37 to a G21 slide sitting on top of a G17 size frame, and I can't believe how they screwed this up, especially since neither of their sport/combat holsters is designed to hold such a hybrid.

Are you serious, Vince? I saw it at the GSSF match that was in CA earlier this year. Definitely had a 17-sized slide with a THIN barrel.

If that thing is now completely disproportionate... double UGH!

PASS!

I guess it is kind of a natural step when looking at 10mm -> .40S&W, but .45ACP has been around for SO long, it just doesn't SEEM natural. Bah... I don't know.

Vince,

Tried ordering one through Mr Braun in Hong Kong and got knocked back at present. None available for shipping. I just want to have a go with one and if it is a dud, then I stick it in the collection, buy truck loads of brass and ammo and wait 75 years and it will be worth a fortune? :wacko:

I think it is a good idea keeps us on our toes and if it works then it will still be around. Everybody was all uppitty when the 40S&W came out.

"it's half 9mm and half 45, with none of the good points" that was a good one that did the rounds many times, now look at it. I bet few guys would trade the 40 in for a 45 in IPSC Std / Ltd.

I think the more they push and try new things the better we will all be.

Imagine if Ford just sat on it's hands, we would never have seen the MUstang.

Same with GMC, no Corvette (what a sad world it would be).

More lately the Viper. I bet no one would pick that it would still be going 13years on.

So try the 45GAP, or whatever they think of next and see if it stands up.

ONLY TIME WILL TELL.

Why make a round that already shoots as flat as the rainbow even shorter and decrease case capacity? Did they make them small primer (to avoid brass sorting troubles?

I don´t get the whole idea behind it. Get a .40S&W or a .45 ACP. Tried and tested.

Spook, I will try and answer you question in order.

1. A/ Because it will give them something different for them to extract money out of the shooting public, which is after all how the business works (I expect you will invest in something else, but that is your choice).

1. B/ Because they can. They are trying to duplicate the very popular 45ACP and give it their name. Which if you consider is testiment to the hold the 45 has over the general shooting populace.

1. C/ and I believe this to be the more sensible reason, with modern powders you can achieve more with less (300WSM et al) the handguns can be made to handle higher pressures that the 45GAP will have to run at. The Glock 17 format will handle 40S&W at 35,000PSI so I expect it will cope nicely with the 25,000PSI or so the GAP will produce. It will be just be the extra inertia from the big lumps of lead that the frame will absorb that must be overcome.

1. D/ Decreasing the amount of powder used will reduce recoil, as the powder makes up a part of the recoil forces (albeit a very small part). Using a smaller case will make the firearm smaller for any given performance parameter.

2. If they had stuck with the tried and tested then the 40S&W would have be consigned to the scrap heap long ago. So would the 45ACP, we would still be shooting the 45Colt in an 1873 peacemaker, which by the way is exactly how many guys think it should be. Just look at the popularity of Cowboy Action.

Now I reckon they will have to avoid the big slide syndrome if they want it to look tidy. A heavy recoil spring may be the solution. Beefing up the inside is a good idea if they have to add weight. Or make the barrel much fatter (a bull barrelled glock :rolleyes: ). Or all three.

Besides if the thing is still around in ten or twenty years it will then be tried and tested, so you will have to buy one anyway to comply with your theory. :P

I am going to try one, if for no other reason than to find out what it does. If it does not pass muster as one thing then I will just have to add it to the others that I have used and moved onward from.

Besides it will fit better in the wifes knicker draw than the STI.

35,000 psi with a big bullet? I don't think so Tim. 25,000 should get the job done in a small gun. Besides 25,000 is the figure I have heard about but can't confirm as far as ammo manufacturers is concerned at present. Duanne or Pat S may know more.

One other thing. Small primers would make fitting a good size ejector in such a small package easier. More space on the base of the case for the ejector to hit without running the risk of firing the primer when clearing a live round.

GLOCK 1911.

I would like to see that as well. Imagine the Glock striker system and trigger in a 1911, that would really start a hissy fit from the J M Browning is God Squad. Especially if the Glock 17 mags fitted in as well. All that plastic on a deity.

Oh I love a good hissy fit. No point in doing it unless it's a goodun. :)

1. C/ and I believe this to be the more sensible reason, with modern powders you can achieve more with less (300WSM et al) the handguns can be made to handle higher pressures that the 45GAP will have to run at. The Glock 17 format will handle 40S&W at 35,000PSI so I expect it will cope nicely with the 25,000PSI or so the GAP will produce. It will be just be the extra inertia from the big lumps of lead that the frame will absorb that must be overcome.

Hey! This will also spawn a whole new series of Glock KABOOMS! and the ensuing discussions online. :D

Well, Vince, I guess that explains why there have been a few for sale in the GlockTalk classifieds (the only section of the board I visit) that have NOT been selling.

Methinks Glock is gonna regret this one.

Gorilla,

Despite being a huge Glock fan (and their Hong Kong distributor), I was still surprised that they created yet another possible (probable?) "wildcat" cartridge, especially since the 10mm is already a slow seller after it was dumped by the FBI and others.

Of course I know the reason why: there's 45 ACP (All Colt Pistol), there's 357 SIG, there's 40 S&W so Poppa Glock wanted his own cartridge, and his biggest single market (the US of A) has a long established love affair with the number 45 when it comes to guns.

However, if I were Poppa Glock, I'd spend every waking minute creating the much-touted but yet-to-be-seen Glock carbine, to finally challenge the global dominance of the H&K MP5 with special forces.

And if I were Poppa Glock, hell, I'd be richer and older, but a whole lot skinnier too B)

It is not that hard to sort. I was walking along the path at our range and I saw a .45 GAP out of the corner of my eye. Picked it up and took it home just to compare.

Yeah it's kinda gimmicky, but for some people it may be the next hot ticket. I shot a 10 rd mag through a G37, felt like a .40 to me.

I would think that the driving force behind this would be LEO/military sales. They are able to market the 45 round (with good ballistics) in a gun that will fit in the hands of of the "small glove" officer/soldier. Oh...and it is a double stack.

Too bad that they went with the large slide. I would have to guess that the small slide didn't hold up during extensive testing?

Here's the thing I don't quite understand on the whole hand-size issue:

A PD in AK issues the 21 as the standard carry weapon. If that's too large, they have Robar do grip reductions. If that's too large they go to a 22.

Why didn't Glock simply offer a .45 with the grip already reduced? I think you're right, Vince, on the GGG (the Great Gaston Glock) wanting to have a caliber designated Glock. I love his guns, but this marketing strategy leaves a bit to be desired, in my book.

Here's another question: the 20 and 22 both hold 15 rounds of their respective calibers. Were they able to fit 13 rounds in the 37 like they have in the 21? If so, my objection becomes slightly less fervent... SLIGHTLY.

A PD in AK issues the 21 as the standard carry weapon. If that's too large, they have Robar do grip reductions. If that's too large they go to a 22.

It's good that they are at least sensible about it. An NJ police department issues the G21. They have several police officers with small hands who cannot even qualify with this gun because it is so huge, even though they had no problem qualifying with their S&W 5906s. (I would imagine for many on this list, it would be harder to qualify with the latter.) Of course there was no option to allow a G22 and grip reductions were out of the question.

Note: My data is 4 months old and I hope they've come to their senses since then.

I agree with some other posters in that the G37 would be a much more attractive pistol if they could have kept with a G22 size and not used a thicker slide.l

-- Bucky